Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: T5 Gear Whine

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Default T5 Gear Whine

I swapped my AOD out for a T5 this weekend, and I've got some pretty serious whining through gears 1-3. 1st gear whines the loudest, 2nd is a little quieter, and 3rd is a little quieter still, but still way too loud to be considered normal. 4th and 5th are silent. It gets louder when I accelerate, and gets quieter when I coast. The noise goes away completely when I push in the clutch pedal. Also, it pops out of reverse, no clue what to do about that. It's infuriating trying to back up though. I filled it with generic ATF, a bit over 2 quarts. I'm using a Ford 10.5 inch flywheel, an OEM (parts store) clutch, and Maximum Motorsports clutch cable, quadrant, and firewall adjuster. All forward gears engage and disengage smoothly, or at least I think they do. They don't grind at all as long as I push the clutch in all the way. This is the first time I've ever driven a manual car. I can make a video if it helps, what do you guys think? Thanks!

Possible issue, I didn't grease the input shaft bearing retainer. Could the throw out bearing make noise?
    Last edited by dragon574444; 12-19-2012 at 09:15 PM.
    2002 Honda Civic EX

1984 Ford Thunderbird Elan
    5.0 CFI, T5, Dual Exhaust

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

No, it only has load on it when the clutch is pushed (i think..?).

Might be a worn input shaft bearing. It's on the input shaft, behind the round cover that the input protrudes through. If you take the trans out to replace it (which is easy, the hard part is removing the trans lol) also slap on a steel bearing retainer. that will also give a better feel to shifts and last longer than the stock aluminum piece.

They're going to make a little noise, but it shouldn't be audible at highway speeds.

Also, you don't have your clutch cable too tight or not tight enough? Reverse is unsynchronized, expect some slight issues with putting the shifter into reverse unless you first shift into 5th. That slows down the spinning inside enough to overcome the non-syncing gears. Since it pops out of reverse, my guess is that the clutch cable isn't quite adjusted properly.
    '87 Mustang notch; 5 lug, PBR calipers, 3.55 gears, SFC's, mild 5.0 with '40P's, Cobra intake, E cam, BBK headers and X pipe, Flowmaster exhaust.
    "still slower than your grandma's scooter"..

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

That's certainly possible. I'll have to take a close look at it this weekend (got 4 days off ). I ran into an issue using the firewall adjuster and my stock brake booster, I'm not able to unscrew the firewall adjuster all the way. I was planning circumventing that by adding a bushing or two on the cable at the quadrant.
    2002 Honda Civic EX

1984 Ford Thunderbird Elan
    5.0 CFI, T5, Dual Exhaust

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

I've heard this one before from my friend with a VR6 GTI. He started describing exactly the same issue moments after we installed a poly trans mount bushing to replace his blown out rubber one.
    1988 Thunderbird 5.0
    GT40P, TFS-1, KB domes, 30#, MAF conversion, Explorer GT40 Upper/Lower, Smog delete, Wide Ratio AOD Mod, Unlocked Speedo, 3G Charging System Upgrade, Hi-Torque Mini Starter, 3.73 LSD, BBK 1 5/8 unequal headers, H-Pipe.

88 Thunderbird/Cougar EVTM
    (Thanks to Trinom for hosting)

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Your driving a time bomb lol

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Foe...you may be onto something...mine makes a little noise, but I know mine isn't in great shape. I do also have a poly trans mount...

Quote Originally Posted by STANG8U View Post
    Your driving a time bomb lol
    Your helpfulness in helping the OP with his issue is only surpassed by your grammar.

or, you're NOT driving a time bomb?...
    '87 Mustang notch; 5 lug, PBR calipers, 3.55 gears, SFC's, mild 5.0 with '40P's, Cobra intake, E cam, BBK headers and X pipe, Flowmaster exhaust.
    "still slower than your grandma's scooter"..

Feedback Score

I would just pick up another tranny if I were you. Tom is probably right and It's not worth fixing unless you were planning on doing a build for more torque capacity. Was there any play in the input shaft before you installed it?

turbo charged 94 Cobra engine/440cc injectors/megasquirt /5 speed swapped (T5)/maxbox upper intake/70mm PP throttle body/AJE coilovers/2003 Mustang control arms/S.T. sway bars/ES rear control arm bushings/11" brake conversion/manual rack conversion/8.8 TC rear with rear discs and a welded diff/3.73 gears/PLX wideband/199mph speedometer/Aeromotive FPR/CNC hydraulic hand brake/cobra R wheels/....ect.

Feedback Score

T-5 noise in 1st, 2nd & 3rd is usually roughness on the end of the mainshaft that fits into the rollers in the back of the input shaft...

Jumping out of reverse is likely a shifter issue(inside top of case) 5-R lever problem or maybe a chewed up reverse slider...

If the mainshaft is bad it will require total disassemble to replace...

Hate to say it but sounds like you have a trans that's taken a beating, any idea if it's a World Class('85-up) or std version???

My other rides (that actually do run & drive)

1969 Fairlane Cobra 428CJ 4-Speed

1972 Comet GT - 306 C4

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

I've blown a few t5's not the best trannys around but the can be built or rebuilt and are a dime a dozen lol

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Yea it a ticking time bomb

I say that because when they blow they BLOW! Lol

And only t5 Z's are rated around 330

I bought my z spec new for $1500 and its still not strong enough lol