Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Single piece headlight assembly with LED projection

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

As noted in another thread, I received my Brudgelux LED. I also received my TSX projector. Using a single XM-L behind the reflector, the mean is pretty good, but width will always be questionable. I will need to cut a projector's reflector and see how the Bridgelux does when sitting just inside the reflector. I'm guessing like this, it would work great. The problem is I want to lose some of the depth of projectors, so I will see what I can do with moving the LED forward a little. My dual 50V/5A psu should be here this week to play with.

The TSX does indeed have the shortest focal length, so it has the best chance of using the most nearest LED array.

Cree XM-L Easy White on left, large Bridgelux LED array (24 emitters) on the right:

Last edited by Seek; 11-10-2012 at 12:53 AM.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Okay, so here is the problem I expected with beam width. It's still much better than stock headlights, but the foreground lighting is excessive with the LED, and the width isn't that that people are impressed with when seeing HID projection. This is where I figured I would use three LEDs with one aiming forward, and two angled either direction. I'm not sure if it'd be better to aim them inward toward the middle of the reflector, or out, into the reflector.

D2R bulb in Valeo housing:

LED in Valeo housing:

Feedback Score

Any progress on the lights?

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by jcassity View Post
    x2,, im curious as well, SEEK, Where are you
    Holidays have been busy. The Tbird's work stopped while rebuilding a Subaru during Thanksgiving week and waiting for PCBs to come in for the tail light control/sequencing module. Now that the Tbird has insurance on it again, I need to get the tails and carpc finalized so I can give it some exercise. Oh yeah. and the CarPC has been upgraded, with a motherboard that has a much quicker POST, allowing it to boot (from off or hibernation with 8GB of RAM) in under 15 seconds. It beats the nearly 30 seconds the Core2 based computer was doing, and provides some better processing power for the active audio processing.

That currently has an Asrock ITX mb, i3 3225 CPU, 2x4GB Samsung RAM, currently the old 80GB Intel SSD (want a 256GB Samsung 830), and it loads at close to 50W with nearly 10W idle. The soundcard I am using adds about 50% more power consumption to the entire system...

As for this project, I am going to use some mirrors to force the light out the projector, rather than lose most of it in the reflector housing (which doesn't work since it's focusing light from a HID bulb). The losses with the LED in the reflector are just too great without some special work with mirrors at the very minimum. I may just use some 40W LEDs and mirrors, and just suck up the loss to the sides of the car, which are only lighted with HID projectors, something we got along fine without for the last decade.

Two more days off to relax, and I may use that to get everything done, except the door speaker boxes built. I will order some front-surface (I don't remember the name) mirrors from a US supplier to get them here in the next week or two and use tape to mock things up for testing.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

pick yourself up a roll of this stuff,
    the image on grainger does not do it justice, in person this is a mirror

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg...ductReviewTabs

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

I have different metal surfaces to work with, but also ordered about 2 square feet of some acrylic mirror product. Even polished sheet metal works well for basic mockups on something this small.

LED tail lights have some minor software bugs that need to be worked out that do not exist on the small 5mm LEDs when tested on the breadboard. There is a failure mode built into the sequencer module that allows the inner light to continue to function in case of controller failure, in a much different fashion than the sequencers I was using before for the incandescent bulbs - and it has worked quite well the few times that the software bugs popped up. Harness and everything is fabricated so other than some small tweaks I need to make, the project, along with the carpc minus speaker boxes, is VERY close to completion. Currently warming the garage to start prepping the car for assembly.

I forgot that I also need to add a PWM dimmer to the carpc's display. It's a minor thing to build, but it needs to be in place before the screen will be installed.

Sequencer built on custom PCB that dims LEDs by pulling a DIM pin low on each LED's 650mA driver, providing 20KHz PWM:

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Update plz.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)

Seek???
    1988 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe
    1987 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe
    1983 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe
    1979 Mercury Cougar XR7 302HO