Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 5.0 Engine build - is 450hp n/a reachable?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

I am going to cut to the chase here!!! Please take this with a grain of salt. The 302 331 347 engines are good and i have been messing with them for years. Bottom line here is simple. THE HEADS DON'T FLOW. In their best day they can flow 200-210 max. And with those numbers the 400 HP deal is a NO NO. With BOOST you can accomplish 400-420 MAX. But that is it. Basically that SUCKS for the money it will cost. An NA 302 331 347 is best at around 350HP. And if that is your goal fine. But their are easier ways and better engines to do it with. Basically the 302 is a BOAT ANCHOR. But this is a ford site and i will most likely get pounded for saying this. THE 302 IS A DOG PERIOD!!!
    I spend money I don't have, To build cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

HAVE YOU DRIVEN A FORD LATELY!!

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Hey Tom, why are the manifolds backwards on that LS motor? Curious.
    1988 Thunderbird 5.0
    GT40P, TFS-1, KB domes, 30#, MAF conversion, Explorer GT40 Upper/Lower, Smog delete, Wide Ratio AOD Mod, Unlocked Speedo, 3G Charging System Upgrade, Hi-Torque Mini Starter, 3.73, BBK 1 5/8 unequal headers, H-Pipe.

88 Thunderbird/Cougar EVTM
    (Thanks to Trinom for hosting)

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Turbo!!!!!!

It is set up for a cheap turbo conversion. And this works extremely well and very cheap to do with the stock manifolds. POOR MANS TURBO SETUP. Thank you for asking. Sometimes i do things off the wall and it works. This works excellent.
    I spend money I don't have, To build cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

HAVE YOU DRIVEN A FORD LATELY!!

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Thought so.
    1988 Thunderbird 5.0
    GT40P, TFS-1, KB domes, 30#, MAF conversion, Explorer GT40 Upper/Lower, Smog delete, Wide Ratio AOD Mod, Unlocked Speedo, 3G Charging System Upgrade, Hi-Torque Mini Starter, 3.73, BBK 1 5/8 unequal headers, H-Pipe.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by 86T-bird View Post
    Wow... Being an old guy and having lived through the past 40 years tinkering with SBF Ford factory and aftermarket parts (well, once the aftermarket came into existence), I've found your comments in this thread interesting.

Apparently you feel to have been challenged by comments of other members to build an engine comparable to the Coyote (which have been putting down ~400 RWHP) from a basic 8.2 block, OHV head, naturally aspirated.

Please do so. Limit yourself to what ever parts you'd like. Build it, document it and then put 20k miles on it. It'll be a great guide to masses.

I'm confident it can be done and look forward to the parts list, chronicle of assembly, dyno and performance numbers (costs would be nice too).
    Stick around long enough, I'll show you. Couple years maybe, I'm not made of money, but I promise you I'll give you exactly what you asked for.
    1988 Thunderbird 5.0

Feedback Score

Assuming a good 5.8 short block, this most of is what you need to make 443Hp...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Edelbrock-20...90a161&vxp=mtr

- SOLD ----------- SOLD ------------ SOLD --------- PARTED(rip) --- Yeah It's Got A V8 .
    .................................................. .....................................(Just Not Presently)

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Wow...I seem to have induced arguments here lol. I guess If i want to build a monster supercharged engine comparable with the shelby gt500 and ford gt, id go with the 351 block. For the 5.0, I'm going to go for about 420, to match the 2013 Mustang GT. Anything higher than that is a risk, and I don't really need it anyway, there are speed limits :P. I'm assuming that "OP" in some of these poists refers to me, so I'll say that yes, I did plan on using aftermarket heads, namely, these Ford racing Z series ones (http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FMS-M-6049-Z304P/)
    1988 Cougar LS - Enkei 92 Mesh wheels/BF Goodrich rubber - Mustang front and rear swaybars - 7.5 Posi - Full sony sound system w/ dual 10" subs - Energy Suspension Polyurethane - Dual power seats

Still to come : 8.8 w/ disc brakes and 3:73 gears - 5.0 - Aluminum driveshaft - CHE tubular control arms - 11" brake upgrade w/ stainless lines (in progress) - someone to do the damned bodywork and paint

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/338466...mercury-cougar

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

I was considering Z heads as well. I'm not aware of their driveability characteristics, but by the numbers, the port volume and airflow is there.

OP stands for opening poster, or the person who initiated the thread.
    1988 Thunderbird 5.0

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by TheFoeYouKnow View Post
    I won't touch a 347 (crappy piston side loading, leading to a motor with a taste for rings).
    Times have changed.....there are kits long available that keep the pin below the oil ring. Ford Strokers I do believe sells a couple variations that don't have the oil issues. my buddy had one in a '95 GT stang. He had it for 19 thousand miles. Performed flawlessly, and ran in the mid 11's.

But fact is, unless you go hog wild with cam and heads, and fuel issues are also resolved at those power levels....450 reliable horses with stock block and crank (nevermind the heads, you won't get that power with even mild ported GT40 P's) won't last if you gouge on it....and why build such an engine to only drive it like my granny?

May as well figure in the cost of a 4 bolt block...take your pick of stroked 5.o, or even a stroker 351w-based block..myself, if cash wasn't a consideration, I'd have a 427w, but I can only build my dreams on paper at this point, but I do know what's workable, and what's merely a fart in the wind. A stock 5.0 block (I'll even spot you the 347 stroker kit and whatever heads you want) and you'll still NEVER come close to a reliable AND streetable 450 horse/torque level, period. I read an article once time a few years ago...some Mustang owner swapped a Nascar Cup 358 into his Stang (seems like it was a '94-'95). It ran well enough, but was worthless for stop and go stuff, not surprisingly. Those are basically what OP is after...all motor, crazy power....but...it comes at higher RPM. I'd rather have a monster torque hit down low in a heavy car.
    '87 Mustang, 5 lug, brake mods, 3.55 gears. 5.0 swap coming soon.
    '88 Thunderbird Sport being parted out.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

no, I'm after the opposite actually lol. I want something with good torque and is good for a cruiser. I dont know about how the revs will be handled with an AOD, but I don't want to be sitting at 5+ grand all the time. Like I said, 450+ maybe was a little too much for me to think...thats getting into the territory of not being a daily driver motor anymore and becoming a handful. Like that link i showed a few posts back about the 399hp budget build...that's all I'm looking for really, maybe put a little bit better heads on it to boost it up just a bit more.
    1988 Cougar LS - Enkei 92 Mesh wheels/BF Goodrich rubber - Mustang front and rear swaybars - 7.5 Posi - Full sony sound system w/ dual 10" subs - Energy Suspension Polyurethane - Dual power seats

Still to come : 8.8 w/ disc brakes and 3:73 gears - 5.0 - Aluminum driveshaft - CHE tubular control arms - 11" brake upgrade w/ stainless lines (in progress) - someone to do the damned bodywork and paint

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/338466...mercury-cougar