Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 7.5 Rear rebuild and gear swap

Feedback Score

Default 7.5 Rear rebuild and gear swap

The last few months 7.5" rear end has been getting noisy. So I went ahead and ordered a new set of 3.45 gears to replace the current 3.55. When I opened the cover I was surprised to find a ford Trac Lok limited slip. I was expecting to find a gear locker because thats what I asked for years ago when I last had the rear end built. The gears were Richmond 3.55 like I requested.
    The problem is that some of the ears are broken on the clutch plates. I want to rebuild my LSD carrier with some new clutches, but I cant find the parts anywhere Does anyone know where to get clutches for a 7.5" ford Trac lok?

This is the new gear set
    http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS+Performan...0021K/10002/-1

turbo charged 94 Cobra engine/440cc injectors/megasquirt /5 speed swapped (T5)/maxbox upper intake/70mm PP throttle body/AJE coilovers/2003 Mustang control arms/S.T. sway bars/ES rear control arm bushings/11" brake conversion/manual rack conversion/8.8 TC rear with rear discs and a welded diff/3.73 gears/PLX wideband/199mph speedometer/Aeromotive FPR/CNC hydraulic hand brake/cobra R wheels/....ect.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

I spend money I don't have, To build cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

HAVE YOU DRIVEN A FORD LATELY!!

Feedback Score

Thats exactly what I need, but it says " out of stock".

turbo charged 94 Cobra engine/440cc injectors/megasquirt /5 speed swapped (T5)/maxbox upper intake/70mm PP throttle body/AJE coilovers/2003 Mustang control arms/S.T. sway bars/ES rear control arm bushings/11" brake conversion/manual rack conversion/8.8 TC rear with rear discs and a welded diff/3.73 gears/PLX wideband/199mph speedometer/Aeromotive FPR/CNC hydraulic hand brake/cobra R wheels/....ect.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

I spend money I don't have, To build cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

Ummmmm.... Never heard of a 3.55 gearset for a 7.5" rear before....

3.45 yes. Not 3.55...
    -- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !! -- 87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's! http://www.fquick.com/V8Demon

Feedback Score

Maybe they were 3.45, but I'm pretty sure I saw some 3.55 sets when i was shopping for these. I was just counting the rotations and it was about 3.5 turns of the pinion to one turn of the axle. Not the most accurate test. Anyway, I found my clutches today at the ford dealer right down the street. They had them in stock for $103
    Those little ears on the clutch discs are what were breaking off on the old clutches.
    [IMG][/IMG]

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

As far as i know their is no 3.5 final in a 7.5 but who cares. Glad you got the parts you needed.

Feedback Score

so your running the combo in your sig through a 7.5?

maybe i won't need to upgrade afterall
    83 Thunderbird Heritage - Right Hand Drive
    95 Falcon GLi

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

The 7.5 is no slouch. It can handle some good ponies if set up correctly

Feedback Score

I do beat on this car pretty hard. With all the towing, racing, and drifting. I used to tow an 1800lb trailer regularly with 3 quads. I'm still waiting on my gears and bearings to come in. Tracking says tomorrow. Here's some more pics.
    look at the bent, dislocated ears sticking out of the clutch pack. I bet that was my noise.

you can see the bent clutch ears wrapping around the side gear here.

some smoked disks