Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 7.5 Rear rebuild and gear swap

Feedback Score

Default 7.5 Rear rebuild and gear swap

The last few months 7.5" rear end has been getting noisy. So I went ahead and ordered a new set of 3.45 gears to replace the current 3.55. When I opened the cover I was surprised to find a ford Trac Lok limited slip. I was expecting to find a gear locker because thats what I asked for years ago when I last had the rear end built. The gears were Richmond 3.55 like I requested.
    The problem is that some of the ears are broken on the clutch plates. I want to rebuild my LSD carrier with some new clutches, but I cant find the parts anywhere Does anyone know where to get clutches for a 7.5" ford Trac lok?

This is the new gear set
    http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS+Performan...0021K/10002/-1

turbo charged 94 Cobra engine/440cc injectors/megasquirt /5 speed swapped (T5)/maxbox upper intake/70mm PP throttle body/AJE coilovers/2003 Mustang control arms/S.T. sway bars/ES rear control arm bushings/11" brake conversion/manual rack conversion/8.8 TC rear with rear discs and a welded diff/3.73 gears/PLX wideband/199mph speedometer/Aeromotive FPR/CNC hydraulic hand brake/cobra R wheels/....ect.

Feedback Score

Thats exactly what I need, but it says " out of stock".

turbo charged 94 Cobra engine/440cc injectors/megasquirt /5 speed swapped (T5)/maxbox upper intake/70mm PP throttle body/AJE coilovers/2003 Mustang control arms/S.T. sway bars/ES rear control arm bushings/11" brake conversion/manual rack conversion/8.8 TC rear with rear discs and a welded diff/3.73 gears/PLX wideband/199mph speedometer/Aeromotive FPR/CNC hydraulic hand brake/cobra R wheels/....ect.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

Ummmmm.... Never heard of a 3.55 gearset for a 7.5" rear before....

3.45 yes. Not 3.55...
    -- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !! -- 87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's! http://www.fquick.com/V8Demon

Feedback Score

Maybe they were 3.45, but I'm pretty sure I saw some 3.55 sets when i was shopping for these. I was just counting the rotations and it was about 3.5 turns of the pinion to one turn of the axle. Not the most accurate test. Anyway, I found my clutches today at the ford dealer right down the street. They had them in stock for $103
    Those little ears on the clutch discs are what were breaking off on the old clutches.
    [IMG][/IMG]

Feedback Score

so your running the combo in your sig through a 7.5?

maybe i won't need to upgrade afterall
    83 Thunderbird Heritage - Right Hand Drive
    95 Falcon GLi

Feedback Score

I do beat on this car pretty hard. With all the towing, racing, and drifting. I used to tow an 1800lb trailer regularly with 3 quads. I'm still waiting on my gears and bearings to come in. Tracking says tomorrow. Here's some more pics.
    look at the bent, dislocated ears sticking out of the clutch pack. I bet that was my noise.

you can see the bent clutch ears wrapping around the side gear here.

some smoked disks

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

If you keep on DRIFTING i would suggest an OPEN REAR!!!
    I'm not a fan of drifting myself, but that would be a step in the wrong direction.... A lot of the drifters will step up to a spool....
    -- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !! -- 87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's! http://www.fquick.com/V8Demon

Feedback Score

I should point out that the clutch pack on the other side was still in great shape. I'm pretty shure the transmission shop that built my rear screwed it up when they assembled it. The unit should not be able to generate enough friction to bend those ears out of their pockets in the carrier.
    I counted the teeth on the old gear set and divided to find out the old ratio was 4.10, not 3.55. The shop really didnt do anything I asked them to. So not hard to believe they would screw up on the assembly.
    Tom, most drifters actually agree that drifting is the stupidest thing you can do with a car, but its so much damn fun that we just cant resist. Open diffs are no good because both wheels have to spin all the time and predictably for the car to slide consistantly.
    I just finished re-assembling the carrier with the new clutches. I'll post some pictures later when I get home. One of my friends is hopefully gonna be stopping by to help my set up the ring and pinion tomorrow.

Feedback Score

Feedback Score

Drifting with open rear not quite possible. With all that u put this thing through, I believe you need something a little more stout than factory limited slip. Spool would be killer, but u would loose all street driveablity. I would use a Detroit Locker or something like it. Try looking into off road magazines or sites for rear end. 7.5 is pretty tough, but you may need to step up to an 8.8 or possibly a 9.