Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: My 85 TBird

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Nice! Can't wait to see it all done up!

BTW....also the Cobra front control arms are better than the originals...I'm sure you're aware of that though
    '84 Mustang, work in (sloooooooow) progress...
    '87 Stang notch
    1994 Ford F150 Flareside
    1997 Explorer V8 conversion (in progress)
    1998 Explorer 5.0
    and a couple of tractors. Ford, of course.
    FORD power, for life!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Wow! This would be one of my 1st choices for a powertrain swap someday. This should get tons of attention when you get it done and park it somewhere with the hood popped.

Make sure to post plenty of pics and progress, I can't wait to see this as it progresses.
    '88 'bird, 1-family owned, original 302 converted to HO, T-5 swap, CHE upper/lower control arms, weld-in SFC's, BBK shorty headers & O/R H-pipe, Dynomax mufflers, fox GT tailpipes, Turbo Coupe 8.8 w/3.73's, 11" front brakes, lowered, Tokico Blue shocks/struts, Chuck W shock adapters and motor mounts, 15:1 rack & PS pump, custom alum. driveshaft, chrome '93 Cobra wheels, Falken tires, 20% tint, close to 190,000 miles!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

1BadBird
    Nice project!! Looks somewhat familiar although not as powerful....... LOL.... I likey
    I checked out your photos, very nice, thats gonna be one clean engine bay. I had to trim my k member lower mount and relocate the holes , you can just see the front of the orginal holes, didn't look like you had to trim yours.

ThunderbirdSport302
    Nice! Can't wait to see it all done up!

BTW....also the Cobra front control arms are better than the originals...I'm sure you're aware of that though
    Not sure what fCA's I am going to run. I am afraid that with the 03 k member, FCA's, and spindles that the frt track width will be to wide. Thinking I might have to use the 13 inch FCA's from a 93 mustang.

After mounting the hydroboost I removed the transmission crossmember mounts to move them rearward for the longer T56. Won't know exactly where to mount them until I get the new mount and crossmember bolted in.

Then I set the motor and trans assy onto the k member and put them on some rollers, lifted the frt of the car and rolled it into place. Ended up having to cut the sway bar mounts out of the car to clear the alternator. Put some temporary 3/8 inch spacers between the upper mount and k member and bolted it in.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Bad-ass.
    '84 Mustang, work in (sloooooooow) progress...
    '87 Stang notch
    1994 Ford F150 Flareside
    1997 Explorer V8 conversion (in progress)
    1998 Explorer 5.0
    and a couple of tractors. Ford, of course.
    FORD power, for life!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

I always wanted a Terminator motor in my XR7.... too much $$. So I decided on a 351 with turbo instead. Good luck with your mega swap. It will be sweet when done.

Travis
    86XR7 in pieces old time with 2.3T 12.96@103.1mph 1.709 60' http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGsz7PdEqTI
    88TC basic mods...15 flat @92 on 13psi Redheaded Step child

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

After getting the motor set in modified the factory mount for the intercooler pump and made a bracket for the body.

To mount the intercooler i trimmed up the factory brackets and made some tabs to mount it to the frt bumper rebar. Before welding the brackets up I installed the frt cover, used some plywood as a spacer for clearance, positioned and welded on the tabs. Still need to fab up some brackets to help support the rear of the cooler. Was able to use all of the mustang hoses and tubing, just had to shorten the hoses some here and there. It fits really well in the lower grille opening of the turbo coupe cover.

Feedback Score

Nice work. Lovin' this!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Default Nice Work!!

[QUOTE=bodyman;389872]I checked out your photos, very nice, thats gonna be one clean engine bay. I had to trim my k member lower mount and relocate the holes , you can just see the front of the orginal holes, didn't look like you had to trim yours.

Ya, I have to trim mine the same as you did yours. I got ahead of myself and painted the k-member before trimming it. I had marked it but ........ I'm liking your progress. Very nice work!!

John

86' T/C 2.3L
    86' T/C 4.6L DOHC
    04' Monte Carlo 3.4L
    16' Chebby Cruze 1.4L Turbo

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Mounting the AC cond was not too bad. Had to make some lower brackets and used the 2003 mustang insulators. Also used the 03 mustang upper mounts and insulators. Had to relocate the left upper mounting hole, widen the support on both sides, and modify the upper support for the extra width. Still need to do some finish work here and there.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Not sure using the 03 mustang rad and tanks were the right decision but I did get them in there, may have been easier to use a rad meant for the t bird and had a custom tank made for the intercooler. I ended up having to drill off the upper half of the lower rad support and replacing it with a piece with less rise. I could get the radiator in there without doing this but there was no room for any type of insulator. If I moved my top mounting plate up any the tanks would not clear the hood. The cap for the intercooler tank comes within 1/4 in of the hood bracing and I did not want to have to cut the hood any.

Relief is for fan clearance

Also had to remove the flange from the top of the rad support, better shot of that in the condenser pic.

Mount to support rear of rad tank