Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Once again, door windows/tracks/clips

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by T-BirdX3 View Post
    In those pics it looks to me like the OEM glue wasn't removed before they "fixed" it, all adhesives need a clean fresh surface to work properly. I have never used black rtv or windshield adhesive they both could work for all I know.
    I'm not sure what that is on the rear of the window. The front clip doesn't have any of that stuff. In that area, where that one clip is, it has a very uneven surface that is rock hard. I tried using a scraper to get it off, but it's hard as the glass it's on. Last time I just sanded the area well and applied JB Weld. The JB Weld held until I tried rolling the window down one morning when the ice was apparently stronger than a typical thin coating (had to roll down to see anything - scraping ice off wasn't enough). The window motors just ripped the clips off. I'll grab a picture of the spot next time I have the window out. For all I know, someone could have applied something to that area of the window long before I got the car.

My passenger side doesn't have that rock-solid stuff on it either. That one's also not the original door though.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Seek View Post
    I'm not sure what that is on the rear of the window. The front clip doesn't have any of that stuff. In that area, where that one clip is, it has a very uneven surface that is rock hard. I tried using a scraper to get it off, but it's hard as the glass it's on. Last time I just sanded the area well and applied JB Weld. The JB Weld held until I tried rolling the window down one morning when the ice was apparently stronger than a typical thin coating (had to roll down to see anything - scraping ice off wasn't enough). The window motors just ripped the clips off. I'll grab a picture of the spot next time I have the window out. For all I know, someone could have applied something to that area of the window long before I got the car.

My passenger side doesn't have that rock-solid stuff on it either. That one's also not the original door though.
    He was referring to Tom's last post.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Looks like silicone on top of silicone. Always fails when you don't have good cleanup. I'm not telling you what to do in your shop, Tom, what I'm saying is what we do in mine and how well it works for us. But this looks like something that was BOUND to fail. Clear silicone, probably the original 25 year old stuff, with black RTV around it. By the look of it, I can't be sure if it was pulled loose of the clear stuff or the black stuff. it it was the black stuff, the tabs were probably in the wrong place. But she's your baby, you take care of it whichever way works best for you.
    1988 Thunderbird 5.0
    GT40P, TFS-1, KB domes, 30#, MAF conversion, Explorer GT40 Upper/Lower, Smog delete, Wide Ratio AOD Mod, Unlocked Speedo, 3G Charging System Upgrade, Hi-Torque Mini Starter, 3.73 LSD, BBK 1 5/8 unequal headers, H-Pipe.

88 Thunderbird/Cougar EVTM
    (Thanks to Trinom for hosting)

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Looks like I may have my foot in my mouth, I've just noticed that the tabs I glue on with Black RTV are made from steel, while these are made from plastic. I don't know if that makes the difference, but if it does, I'll eat my crow.
    1988 Thunderbird 5.0
    GT40P, TFS-1, KB domes, 30#, MAF conversion, Explorer GT40 Upper/Lower, Smog delete, Wide Ratio AOD Mod, Unlocked Speedo, 3G Charging System Upgrade, Hi-Torque Mini Starter, 3.73 LSD, BBK 1 5/8 unequal headers, H-Pipe.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Chrome View Post
    He was referring to Tom's last post.
    Oh, duh. I was viewing this thread earlier in the day without pictures being loaded (slow internet). I see that now

Quote Originally Posted by TheFoeYouKnow View Post
    Looks like I may have my foot in my mouth, I've just noticed that the tabs I glue on with Black RTV are made from steel, while these are made from plastic. I don't know if that makes the difference, but if it does, I'll eat my crow.
    I wouldn't think so. As long as it's applied properly, and in sufficient quantity, the clip material shouldn't matter THAT much.

Feedback Score

Tom, you may want to rethink your repair, because I agree with it. lol. Plastic = bad. silicone on glass = bad. Surface area = good. However, the failed repair you posted just was not a fair comparison. It was just plain shoddy work. Clear silicone has no business being in any automotive repair.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by TOM Renzo View Post
    The color of SILICONE does not make a difference. Also the repair was not dun by me. The customer did it. In the shop we use white clear blue gray yellow and every other color. Just saying!!
    WRONG.
    http://www.camaroz28.com/forums/lt1-...colors-362395/
    http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...7151638AARmIDP
    http://www.permatex.com/products/Aut...ket_makers.htm
    Sort it out, because I don't know who here believes you, but you're having a detrimental effect on their knowledge. By these examples, everybody else knows the difference.
    I can't say for certain what the original adhesive was, but it was a clear silicone of some type. and as you can see every time the original bond failed, it failed at the plastic, because it's almost always still stuck tightly to the glass in a nice molded shape of the inside of the clip. Clearly, plastic is the materials problem.
    1988 Thunderbird 5.0

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

I think what Tom is saying (and I could be wrong) when bonding "these two" surfaces together , when fluid or sensors don't come into play , it doesn't matter which color you use it isn't going to work ...or hasn't in his experience ... I have had that same experience of silicone not bonding well to glass.

Of course I could be wrong, but that's how I understood him.
    Fox-less at the moment

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

I think what Tom is saying (and I could be wrong) when bonding "these two" surfaces together , when fluid or sensors don't come into play , it doesn't matter which color you use it isn't going to work ...or hasn't in his experience ... I have had that same experience of silicone not bonding well to glass.

Of course I could be wrong, but that's how I understood him.
    Fox-less at the moment

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

If that's his point, I missed it. In any case, I think the material problem is the plastic clips, not the adhesive (although the choice of adhesive is important).
    1988 Thunderbird 5.0