Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trunk lid tension rods

Feedback Score

Default Trunk lid tension rods

Hi,
    Does anybody have a procedure for reinstalling the tension rods that hold the trunk open? My new cat came with a broom handle to keep the lid up. I was able to get the rods reinserted in the hinge receivers, but lid still won't stay up. Any pics would help, too.
    Thanks,
    Dave

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

You have to make the tool, it was posted here try using the search to find it. It's basically a small length of pipe with holes and length of rope or wire... I used 6 gauge wire

Be careful I almost lost my fingers messing with those freaking things

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

For the trouble, i'd just throw some shocks at it.
    Quote Originally Posted by jcassity
    I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
    Hooligans!
    1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
    1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
    1986 cougar.
    lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Feedback Score

Yeah those things are wicked. All i did was lay in my trunk, ad force that thing in! Praying the entire time lol Those things have alot of tension. When the tension side that holds the hood open snapped, it shut my trunk so hard, i thought someone shot off a 12 guage. Now my trunk lid body lines are actually crooked.

1986 Ford Thunderbird
    !!COMPLETED!! 427 ci ROUSH engine swap<<!NEW! Fed by a Holley Terminator EFI setup/ custom COP setup ignition
    8.8 rear. with 4:10 gears, Eaton Trutrac diff, 31 spline axles and external breather system. Had it cleaned, sandblasted, and powder coated.

"Its kind of like driving the red headed step child of the mustangs"

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

I use a 6 inch 1/4" drive extension with a deepwell 10mm socket. Works every time.
    1988 Thunderbird 5.0
    GT40P, TFS-1, KB domes, 30#, MAF conversion, Explorer GT40 Upper/Lower, Smog delete, Wide Ratio AOD Mod, Unlocked Speedo, 3G Charging System Upgrade, Hi-Torque Mini Starter, 3.73 LSD, BBK 1 5/8 unequal headers, H-Pipe.

88 Thunderbird/Cougar EVTM
    (Thanks to Trinom for hosting)

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

I used a 12" long 1" diameter wooden dowel with a notch in it to pop the bar on the passenger side of mine back in the slot. Worked great and I still have all my fingers.
    '88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, Edelbrock 70mm TB, 76mm C&L MAF, 30lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, AOD with 2800 PI converter, 8.8 with 3.73 gears, 31 spline Traction-Lok, 31 spline Moser axles, 04 Cobra front arms, Maximum Motorsports extreme duty rear arms, subframes.
    '11 Focus, '12 Mustang 3.7, '17 Accord EX-L V6

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

x2 for the 10mm socket/extension. done it many many times on all different kinds of cars.
    Currently Birdless but never Foxless

86 Mustang GT

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)

after getting my fingers stuck in between the rod and the notch I use a small piece of pipe or the socket trick. I still have all my fingers by the way
    1988 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe
    1987 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe
    1983 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe
    1979 Mercury Cougar XR7 302HO