Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Diamond Head Lights for the '83

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Default New Diamond Head Lights for the '83

I was a little work but I think the outcome was well worth the effort. I found several vendors of this type of head light but these were the ones I chose due to the quality.

Darren

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

I like em
    Fox-less at the moment

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Yeah, I was concerned about how they would look when they arrived at the house but after the install I am sold. I mocked them up before I cut anything so I could make up my mind before hand.

Darren

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)

What's the brand? Where did you get them?
    Long live the 4-eyes! - '83 Tbird Turbo

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

how did you hook up the high beams???
    1986 T-bird
    347 stroker motor
    185 AFR Heads
    TrickFlow cam 224/232-542/563
    Victor Jr. intake CNC ported
    Quickfuel Holley 800 cfm
    Hooker 1-3/4 long tubes
    Custom built AOD
    B&M 3000 stall
    8.8 w/4.30 gears
    UPR K-member,A-Arms,and coil-overs
    UPR upper/lower control arms
    Strange shocks/struts
    26x10x15 M/T slicks
    11.48@119.27
    (coming soon Tremec 3550)
    The Finished Product
    http://s174.photobucket.com/albums/w...rinnie/T-bird/

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

www.racinglab.com/redicutsebeh.html

Here is the deal on how I wired them up. They come with a high/low beam bulb in each assembly. I inquired if they had bulbs that would fit them with just the high beam but they do not. I removed the high beam socket off of the inner head lamp wiring and installed a high/low beam light socket off of the outer head lamp wiring. One of the guys simply cut the high beam tab off the bulb and went that route. My thinking is why ruin a good bulb? If I ever blow a low beam out in the middle of nowhere I can easily swap the two bulbs on one side of the car and get my low beam back. Almost like carrying two spare bulbs all the time.

Darren

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

The harness I used to upgrade to a relay setup will work awesome with these...no modifications required. The low beam connector has only the wires to activate low beam, and vice versa for the high beam. I was wary at first because it's an ebay harness...but once I got it in hand it's pretty well built for under $50.

Feedback Score

Me likey!! Kind of wish I had a 4-eye right about now.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

I am running these straight of the factory harness for now and swapping the head light sockets took about a minute. I only did the driver side as I used the passenger side socket to complete this setup. I am waiting on hcor to send me a couple more of the high/low sockets to finish the passenger side. If a relay is needed due to the draw being to high for the headlight switch to handle I can wire those in myself. I did this same thing on my Coupe and the Bosch relays are only a couple bucks each.

I think these will look awesome with the TC front bumper cover and the Marchal fogs.

Darren

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Well, I went home this weekend to finish up the headlight install and get the exhaust all back in the car and the only thing I got accomplished was the headlights. hcor came through (thanks again!) and delivered on the two headlight sockets I was needing. I ran into a wiring pinout problem with regards to the stock pinout versus what the H4 bulbs need. If you are looking at the back of the bulb with the two pins on the left and right the other pin should be on the bottom. The left is the ground, the right is the high beam, and the bottom is the low beam. Once I got that straightened out they worked fine but all of the power is going through the headlamp switch and the multifunction switch. I decided to install three Bosch 30A relays and just use the power from the multi-switch as the trigger for the relays. Since there are two bulbs on each side for high beam I used one relay per pair and then one relay for the low beams.

I fabbed up a little bracket and mounted it to the core support on the passenger side of the car. I took several photos in case anyone wanted a idea for a good location for something like this:

I tested it all out with the headlights just plugged in and it worked like a champ. Finished up the install and here are the results. I still have to aim them but I think it will knock the white off a wall.

Anyhow, that is behind me so I can get on to the important stuff like getting the car running...

Darren