Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finally getting something done... updated pics

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Default Finally getting something done... updated pics

Got a new 15.1 rack and PS pump installed with new tie rods. Getting ready to put on my 87+ spindles and brakes. I noticed my passenger side coil spring was broken at the bottom, about a half a coil. I am going to cut about 1/4 more off to make it 3/4 then cut the other to match. Will that drop about 1" -1.5"? I dont want more than that.

I also got a set of 4 Tokico HP's coming. Looking foreward to driving it.

Have you guys all need the brake line adapters on the fronts and if so where did you find them? My car is a 88 Cougar.

Feeling nice to make some progress
    Last edited by mcb82gt; 06-07-2011 at 06:28 PM.
    Mike

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

I only thought you needed the adapters when converting to the SN95 Mustang brakes. Mine is an '83 so maybe the fittings on the hard lines are different. Just take your old caliper line to the parts store and get the left and right lines for an 87-93 Mustang 5.0 car and compare the threads. If you do not have your old line or don't want it to bleed brake fluid all over the place while you are gone then just have the parts store pull new ones for your car as well as the Mustang lines and then compare. If you need an adapter then you are right there and they should be able to come up with something.

Darren

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)

The TBirds (for whatever reason) use a 3/8-24INF thread on the front hardlines, as opposed to a 7/16-24INF like the Fox Mustangs. *Most* parts stores should be able to set you up with an adapter fitting (3/8-24INF Fem to 7/16-24INF Male), so you can use the standard Fox Mustang flex hoses.

I always just swapped to braided stainless lines I made myself, that had the proper fitting on the body end.
    Long live the 4-eyes! - '83 Tbird Turbo

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck W View Post
    I always just swapped to braided stainless lines I made myself, that had the proper fitting on the body end.
    That would be awesome, but unfortunately....I lack that knowledge, parts, and tools.
    Mike

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)

By "made myself", I mean that I bought the -3AN line with a banjo fitting on one end, and a -3AN nut on the other. Mate that to a -3AN male to 3/8-24INF female adapter fitting, and bolted them to the car.

It's not rocket science. However, if you *need* DOT approved lines, this isn't the avenue for you. Never an issue though. The only thing you need to be mindful of is if you're using bare braided lines (and not those with a coating on them), they need to be tied back from wheels and tires, as they will wear through them. "They" being the lines and "them" being the wheels and tires.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

If you want SS braided lines then just order the 693000 kit from Russell and use a Weatherhead 7828 fitting on the passenger side. This is a 1/4 to 3/16 adapter and most NAPA and O'Reilly part stores carry them.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/RU...s/?prefilter=1

You may be able to call Russell and see if they offer just the fronts as it would cost less. Then again, the stock Mustang lines and the adapter worked for years on my car with the SVO calipers and MM steel bushings.

Darren

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)

That line kit isn't for the 87+ calipers, it's for the earlier ones.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Just waiting on my struts now.

I cut 3/4 of a coil off the springs. It changed a inch and 3/8 on the free height. I assume that will translate pretty close when loaded?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by mcb82gt; 05-03-2011 at 06:07 PM.
    Mike

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Starting the job pic
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Mike

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Chuck, nice catch as its been a looong time since I have messed with the older calipers. The 87-93 calipers have the block style banjo fittings on the ends and not the threaded ends so sorry for the confusion there. This is the Russell kit for the banjo style 87-93 5.0 mustangs (not sure if they will work on the 87-88 TC but I would think so):

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/RUS-693010/?rtype=10

You will need a 3/8-24 (T-Bird hard line) female to a 7/16-24 (Mustang soft line) male inverted flare adapter. This should be a Weatherhead 7818 fitting that most parts stores carry. Again, you can go to a parts store and get a 87-93 5.0 Mustang front soft line, a short stick of 3/16" brake line with a 3/8-24 fitting, and the 7818 adapter and see if this will allow all of this to be put together.

Hopefully I did not screw it up again

Darren