Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Custom Exhaust for the 351W

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Default Custom Exhaust for the 351W

Well, its been a long road (literally and figuratively) putting my Bird back together after I scattered the 5.0 motor in 2005. I was so pissed off at the whole deal I stuffed it into storage for about three years and then my dad's shop got finished and we brought it to his house. I live about five hours away so I have to plan my trips there to work on it. Some may wonder why the hell I would do this but its where I grew up and have all my car connections (paint, motor, machine work, and exhaust) so it makes better sense to leave it there. The 351W has been built for awhile now and the TKO was in it with the 5.0. The exhaust on the car with the 5.0 was MAC long tube 1-3/4" primaries with 3" collectors, a hand built 3" off road X-pipe, and a MAC 3" cat back system for a Fox LX Mustang with the rear portion of the tail pipes extended 8" with 3" pipe (lots of grinding, welding, and filing to get them to look right).

With the 351W I figured it was time to up the anti and go big. I have a friend back home that builds race cars from the bottom up and he builds headers. We talked about what I wanted from the car and the possibility of a stroker kit later on down the road so we went with 1-7/8" primaries and a 3-1/2" collector. It took him several months to build them with all the work he has and he got pretty sick at one point but modern medicine fixed him up. The headers are done and I am headed back home this weekend to build the 3-1/2" off road X-Pipe and modify the old 3" X-pipe to accept cats so I can pass inspection here (visual only). Just thought I would share some pics of the headers in the car and I will update this thread as the exhaust comes along. This could take a couple of months as its time consuming and not cheap.

Here are a couple of pictures of the driver side:

Driver Side from Front.jpg
    Driver Side from Top.jpg
    Driver Side from Bottom.jpg

I will put some of the passenger side in the next post.

Darren

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Hey Darren, those look great! Very nicely done. They're quite a step up from the Mac's.

I was also checking out the Tubular K-member & A-Arms, studded AFR heads, fuel pressure regulators, adjustable brake proportioning valve...

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Thanks for the complement. Its a sickness I tell you. My dad bought the car new and I have driving it since I was sixteen so this has been a transformation over the years. The booster and MC are from a 95 GT so take a guess as to the brake package...I have no common sense anymore.

Once I get the off road X-pipe done it and the headers will go to Performance Coating in Oklahoma City (http://performancecoatingsokc.com/) to get coated. The X-pipe with the cats will get rattle can high temp black.

Darren
    Last edited by Aerocoupe; 04-19-2011 at 04:53 PM.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

looks like remflex header gaskets?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

I had to look those up to see what you were talking about and when I saw the picture on their website (http://catalog.remflex.com/FORD_Head...t_p/rf3043.htm) I understood why you thought that. The AFR heads have a 9 and 3 o'clock bolting pattern and the exhaust ports shroud a 1-7/8" primary. What appears to be a thick gasket between the 3/8" header flange is actually an adapter plate so the 2 and 8 o'clock pattern can be utilized to take advantage of the larger primaries. The adapters use high temp silicone to seal them to the heads (which is already on them) and I will use a standard gasket for the header to adapter plate once they come back from being coated.

Darren

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Hmmm, looks pretty nice...in other words..more pics lol
    '87 Mustang notch; 5 lug, PBR calipers, 3.55 gears, SFC's, mild 5.0 with '40P's, Cobra intake, E cam, BBK headers and X pipe, Flowmaster exhaust.
    "still slower than your grandma's scooter"..

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by 86T-bird View Post
    Hey Darren, those look great! Very nicely done. They're quite a step up from the Mac's.

I was also checking out the Tubular K-member & A-Arms, studded AFR heads, fuel pressure regulators, adjustable brake proportioning valve...
    X2...car has some nice hardware added already. lol
    '88 'bird, 1-family owned, original 302 converted to HO, T-5 swap, CHE upper/lower control arms, weld-in SFC's, BBK shorty headers & O/R H-pipe, Dynomax mufflers, fox GT tailpipes, Turbo Coupe 8.8 w/3.73's, 11" front brakes, lowered, Tokico Blue shocks/struts, Chuck W shock adapters and motor mounts, 15:1 rack & PS pump, custom alum. driveshaft, chrome '93 Cobra wheels, Falken tires, 20% tint, close to 190,000 miles!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Small update on the exhaust. Finally got up to Oklahoma this weekend and my buddy was back from North Dakota on a two week break from work. We got busy building the 3" center section with the X-Pipe and cats for the old visual for inspection stickers we have here in this part of Texas. Mike took more pics of the 3" than the other but it was a bit more complicted with the cats.

DSC00150a.jpg
    DSC00149a.jpg
    DSC00152a.jpg

Darren

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

More pics:

DSC00153b.jpg
    DSC00155b.jpg
    DSC00154b.jpg

This X-pipe was painted with high temp black with the exception of the cats as it will not be on the car that much. The other X-pipe and headers will be coated like the cat back with a ceramic coating that is polished.

Darren