Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Water4Gas

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

A friend of mine is a mechanic for Coke. He bought into one of the companies and was developing a system for a couple different vehicles. The thought process was to see if he could bring the technology to Coke and make some money off of installing the systems. I'm not sure what company it was, but he couldn't get enough mpg out of either of them to warrant paying for the kit. The sport utility got the most improved mileage, but it was only like 1-2 mpg and we figured the truck would have to be driven over 100K miles to pay for the system. On top of the intitial cost of the kit, it has to be properly tuned. I drive over 100 miles per day, so I was hoping he would have gotten some good numbers, but it just didn't work out. I bought a Civic hybrid instead. It's more than paying for itself these days....
    2017 Subaru Outback
    2007 Lincoln MKZ
    1990 Ford F250 / Banks turbo diesel

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

I know it's just a supplement. My point was that no matter how much (or how little) it "supplements", it still takes more energy to make it than you get out of it, so you will not see any gains. Unless, as I mentioned, you find a way to harness energy that would otherwise be wasted. And alternators do not put out any extra energy if the voltage regulator is working. And if it's not you'll know it when your battery boils dry. Placing more demand on the alternator makes the alternator harder to spin, and the harder it gets to spin the more fuel it uses. If every step of the way was 100% efficient (turning chemical energy into heat energy when the fuel burns, then converting that to mechanical energy as the piston moves the crank, then that to electrical energy as the crank spins the alternator, then that back into chemical energy as electrolysis, then that back into heat as the H2 is burned) you would break even and no better. And since not a single step in that chain of events is even close to being 100% efficient it ain't gonna happen.

My theory is this: The system uses a small amount of energy and produces even less, so it gives zero benefit as far as MPG's are concerned, in fact there's likely a very slight decrease in MPG's, all else equal. However, people who go through the trouble of installing one of these systems would almost certainly drive for mileage after installing it (meaning that everything is not equal), so they observe a slight increase in fuel economy. Not from the system, but from their more frugal driving habits. But again, that's just my theory.
    2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder Chicken View Post
    people who go through the trouble of installing one of these systems would almost certainly drive for mileage after installing it (meaning that everything is not equal), so they observe a slight increase in fuel economy. Not from the system, but from their more frugal driving habits.
    You hit the nail on the head right here!
    2017 Subaru Outback
    2007 Lincoln MKZ
    1990 Ford F250 / Banks turbo diesel