Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mustang Subframe Connectors On T-bird/Cougar?

Feedback Score

Default Mustang Subframe Connectors On T-bird/Cougar?

I'm doing a chassis restoration on my '87 T-bird and looking for some subframes.

I've heard you can use Mustang frame connectors, if so;

Will Edelbrock Subframe #5291 fit on T-bird/Cougar?

Thanks!

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

T-Birds and Cougars don't need Mustang subframe connectors. It's a flat plane between the front and rear frame rails, and you can use rectangular tubing (I think it was 1" X 2" but not sure). The seat-support-cross-brace thingies aren't difficult to make either (Chuck W used to sell some I think, but not sure if he still does)
    2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Grand Island, New York (between Buffalo, Niagara Falls and Ontario, Canada)
    Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

I used 2x2 and 1x1 for mine. cost about $70 to make

EDIT:
    Yes, welding skills are a must if you make them yourself
    Last edited by daminc; 01-21-2011 at 06:55 PM.
    ***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****

5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner mufflers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
    Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed.
    Join us on Facebook

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

http://www.maximummotorsports.com/st...th=122_124_234

Ive always had good luck with this company and their products. ( I cant weld)
    Mike

Feedback Score
    135 (100%)

I'd think Mustang connectors would be too short.
    '88 Sport--T-5,HURST shifter,TMoss GT-40 intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,70mm t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster 40's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels,Mass Air, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I copied this from Erics site, I wonder if you called Maxmotorsports if they could advise you?

Subframe Connectors
    The steel bars known as subframe connectors are excellent for helping to keep your underside together. They connect the points in the unibody "framerail" that are severed in production. Weld-on types are the most effective (while also being race-legal) and should be the only types considered. Bolt-ons will only create elongated holes with time. Maximum Motorsports makes subframe connectors for the Fox Thunderbird/Cougar. People have also reported that Mustang units do indeed fit on the Fox Cougar, so you can probably use these as well. Or you can have custom pieces made for relatively cheap. After installation, you'll have to paint up all the welds so they don't rust.
    Mike

Feedback Score

I used the cheap Summit Mustang ones, but they needed to be bent a little straighter than how they came.

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)

No need to buy Mustang SFCs, since they don't work properly on the Tbirds/Cougars anyway. Buy 10-12' of steel ($30-40) and make your own.
    Long live the 4-eyes! - '83 Tbird Turbo

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Is it "really" beneficial to do the seat crossbrace piece? Or just weld up the 2 subframes?
    Mike

Feedback Score

i have a set of kenny brown subfame conecters in my 87 5.0 tbird. they are longer than mustang ones and straighter. what kind did you want to do weld in or bolt in? its better to go with weld in but u have to have a drive on lift or a pit to use to put them on or you will weld in a twist. i wouldnt see any reason not to make them your self and the seat brace is there to get rid of flex by tieing into more parts of the car. if you did ones without seat bracese it would still flex a bit but not as much