Thread: Gentex Rear View Mirrors

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Default Gentex Rear View Mirrors

I just purchased a Gentex Compass/Temp Auto Dim rearview mirror from Vinnie and installed it in my 08 Mustang. I thought it would be appropriate to post wiring diagram information for others so it would be at your fingertips if anyone ever needs the info.

There are two Gentex mirror plugs. Some are 7 pin and some are 16 pin. Wire colors may vary but pin positions are consistant.

Gentex 7 Pin Mirrors:

Gentex 16 Pin Mirrors:

Pin Functions

1- Not used
    2 - (Not used) Microphone (if the mirror is equipped with it)
    3 - (Not used) "Passenger Air Bag on" notification (if mirror is equipped with that display)
    4. -(Not used) "Passenger Air Bag off" notification (if mirror is equipped with that display)
    5 - (Not used) If equipped with auto dim side view mirrors, supply line which goes to the LH outside rearview mirror.
    6 - (Use) Temp probe connection (if mirror is equipped with display).
    7 - (Use) Temp probe connection (if mirror is equipped with display)
    8 - (Use) Ground
    9 - (I did not use) Auto Dim Inhibitor while in Reverse (hook up to back-up lights)
    10 -(Not used) Microphone (if mirror is equipped)
    11- (Not used) If equipped, keypad signal (out) for On-star (pressing any button puts out a 5v multiplexed signal on this pin, You cannot use the buttons to control whatever you want to.)
    12 - (Not used) Onstar Equipped keypad supply (5v) voltage (in) for the buttons
    13 - (Use) ignition voltage (12v -main power IN to the mirror)
    14 - (Not used) Onstar equipped keypad green LED signal
    15 - (Not used) Onstar equipped keypad red LED signal
    16 - (Not used) If vehicle equipped with auto dim side mirrors, return line to the LH outside mirror for day/night signal.

If you have a mirror that is equipped with the temp display be sure to use a sensor designed for the mirror. It is a common GM style sensor but may be used on other makes as well. Do not use the temp sensor from any vehicle that has as roof console display such as the Ford Explorer. Those sensors are not calibrated for use with the Gentex mirrors.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Watchdevil; 08-12-2010 at 03:40 AM.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Power, ground and sensor. Looks pretty easy.

Which sensor wire is + or - ?
    Mike

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by mcb82gt View Post
    Power, ground and sensor. Looks pretty easy.

Which sensor wire is + or - ?
    Technically it has no polarity. I tried it both ways and it works just fine. None of the wiring info I have come across indicates any type of polarity.

I got my GM style temperature probe today and now it works perfectly. Love the mirror, especially the auto-dim feature. Secret to the temp probe is to mount it where it will not be affected by radiator and engine comparment heat while also not exposing it to too much cooling effect that air intake from the grille or any lower fascia openings create. I mounted mine inside the fender behind the front bumper cover and secured it to the turn signal lamp wiring harness.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

Is the compass part self contained ?
    I'm just curious, I already have added an auto-dim mirror from a Lincoln so I don't know if I want to change it, but any and all info is appreciated
    Fox-less at the moment

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by hypostang View Post
    Is the compass part self contained ?
    I'm just curious, I already have added an auto-dim mirror from a Lincoln so I don't know if I want to change it, but any and all info is appreciated
    The compass is self contained and the calibration procedure is just like the one as described in the threads about the Explorer roof console.

This is such an easy install it's worth the change. All you need is 12V+ with the key on, a ground and two sensor wires. If you want to you can hook up the mirror dim inhibitor wire to the back-up light circuit when the vehicle is in reverse at night, but I did not hook mine up. You can easily pick up that back-up light wire within the wiring at the left kick panel where it goes to the back of the car.

I did not bother with it on my Mustang because the wiring runs on the right side of the car and is connected to these new fandangled Smart Junction Boxes.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

I skipped the back-up light wire when I put mine in .
    I just ran the harness I grabbed out of a Town Car and just used two wires .
    I think I would like the compass but I'm still up in the air about the thermometer
    Fox-less at the moment

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

I skipped the back-up light wire when I put mine in .
    I just ran the harness I grabbed out of a Town Car and just used two wires .
    I think I would like the compass but I'm still up in the air about the thermometer
    The thermometer is such an easy add that it was worth it for me. It just required a pair of wires run to behind the grille area then clip or tie the sensor in place

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Watchdevil View Post
    The thermometer is such an easy add that it was worth it for me. It just required a pair of wires run to behind the grille area then clip or tie the sensor in place
    Do you know if the sensor from a town car would work ?

It had a thermometer in the dash . I have one of those sensors .
    Fox-less at the moment

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Do you know if the sensor from a town car would work ?

It had a thermometer in the dash . I have one of those sensors .
    I tired to use the sensor from an Explorer with the roof console and it did not work because it is not calibrated for Gentex mirrors. I would suggest sticking to a sensor that is used with cars factory equipped with Gentex mirrors with temp readout. I had to get a sensor that was compatible. You can find them used mostly in luxury GM cars, trucks and SUV's. Search ebay for GENTEX TEMPERATURE SENSOR and you can find them new and used.

I got one from this eBay Seller:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/98-99...Q5fAccessories

More listings:

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trk...All-Categories