Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: My 86 Cougar (2.3T swapped) thread (long and lots of pics)

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)

The car is here! It got here yesterday but I have been busy with homework so I haven't got to do much with it.

The car made it here fine with a couple of exceptions. The battery is dead (brand new battery.) I assume they let it sit with the key on and the car not running and the fan drained it. My VAM and air filter are missing! I didn't notice until after the truck was gone. I am going to go ahead and say it probably fell off with a good bump in the 1200 miles it took for the car to get here, but it was on there pretty well. I guess it's not a big deal, just sucks that I have to replace them now.

1986 Mercury Cougar - 2.3T/T5 swap, TC brakes and suspension and rearend, 3" exhaust, 255 lph fuel pump, Stinger BOV, Gillis MBC @ 18 psi
    2003 Chevy Suburban Z71 - Daily driver
    2015 Chevy Volt - Wife's daily driver

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

It is nice to see that you finally were able to bring it "home". It is also nice to see people work on them even if it takes forever.
    1987 Cougar XR7 5.0
    1992 Ranger 4.0
    2013 F-150 FX4 5.0

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)

Thanks, it sure is nice to have it home.

I put the dash back in today with the new blank plates I made for AC and radio. I got most of the trim back on except for the steering column cover, because I have to get rid of the column shifter.

1986 Mercury Cougar - 2.3T/T5 swap, TC brakes and suspension and rearend, 3" exhaust, 255 lph fuel pump, Stinger BOV, Gillis MBC @ 18 psi

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Loaded87IROC View Post
    Thanks, it sure is nice to have it home.

I put the dash back in today with the new blank plates I made for AC and radio. I got most of the trim back on except for the steering column cover, because I have to get rid of the column shifter.

Oh man and I love the dual auto shifters... LOL! It's still one of the funniest things I have ever seen for some reason!

Oh dude I hope you plan to lower that automatic shift indicator bezel as featured on CoolCats.com. I know it's not factory correct to do so but it's like what was Ford thinking to make that stick up like a sore thumb when it did not have to. There is so much harmony in the 85-87 interior design except for this! I'd rather have an old Mustang/Pinto/Maverick/Torino floor shifter than that look.

Just my personal preference though... It only matters to me... LOL! But then again I'd more likely do my old trick of just putting a manual boot in place of the auto shift bezel. I have done that to many former cars including all my auto trans Camaros, my 1989 Tbird and my 1999 Mustang as well as on my current 08 Mustang. I always loved the manual transmission boot look anytime I could use it. It might have something to do with the fact that my Mom used to own a 67 VW fastback with automatic stick shift.. LOL! The only reason I changed it back was that I liked the relation of the bright shifter beel to the shape of the classic Ford ones and it looked so much better with the premium aluminum manual trans boot rectagular ring in place that the plain black one that came with the car. So I simply removed the boot from the ring and snapped it into place of my plain black one...

I have also seen people adapt the new Mustang auto shifter assembly and console into classic Mustang restomods...

And yes I know I have been rather long winded today!
    Last edited by Watchdevil; 04-30-2010 at 09:48 PM.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)

I agree, it is pretty funny. Kinda reminds me of my first Camaro, an 85 Z28 that was originally a 305/5 speed but somebody converted to a 350 /700R4. They left the clutch pedal in though and you had to push it to start the car.

I am planning on leaving it as is though for the time being. I think the tranny will be the first to go under the abuse I intend to put this car through and I will be swapping in a 5 speed then.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Good to see you got the car home.
    '88 'bird, 1-family owned, original 302 converted to HO, T-5 swap, CHE upper/lower control arms, weld-in SFC's, BBK shorty headers & O/R H-pipe, Dynomax mufflers, fox GT tailpipes, Turbo Coupe 8.8 w/3.73's, 11" front brakes, lowered, Tokico Blue shocks/struts, Chuck W shock adapters and motor mounts, 15:1 rack & PS pump, custom alum. driveshaft, chrome '93 Cobra wheels, Falken tires, 20% tint, close to 190,000 miles!

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)

The car has a full set of 10 holes on it and I have two spares that I will be mounting slicks on in the future.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)

looks like you have room for one more in that garage
    1988 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe
    1987 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe
    1983 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe
    1979 Mercury Cougar XR7 302HO

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)

I wish I had the room for one more. The wife parks in the other half of the garage and my truck sits outside.

I am trying to go with the lightest weight possible so today I swapped in a manual seat track on the drivers side. I weighed them both and the power track weighed 25 pound compared to the manual tracks 9 pounds. I am happy with a 16 pound loss. Now if only I would get on the treadmill more and lose 16 pounds myself.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

Don't take this the wrong way , but I actually laughed out loud when I read why your doors were a different color .
    It is SO much harder to change a door than to swap glass
    But I am certainly impressed with all the work you have done.
    Fox-less at the moment