Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: fuel pump problems

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Default fuel pump problems

my cougar cranks but no fuel is going to the fuel injectors. i dont hear the inline and in tank pump turn on with the key in the start position. what could be wrong? could both fuel pump crap out at the same time?
    84 el camino ss-daily driver(mild sbc, overdrive trans, posi 3:42 rear.)
    84 mercury cougar v6- was a v6/ nitrous drag car, going back to mostly stock
    81 chevy malibu-proturing/ new drag car.( sbc 283 that will rev to the moon, t56 six speed, 4:56 posi rear)

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

1- check the little ground wire up near the battery

2- ground the tan / light green wire either on your EEC self test connector or on the fuel pump relay in the trunk.

turn on key,,listen for pump.

report back.

on an 84 model with two pumps, my advice may not be correct since its likely your running an EECIII system. If so let us know that as well.

Feedback Score

84 is EEC IV

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Did you check the inertia switch and the fuel pump relay? Seems like a slim chance of both pumps taking a crap at the same time, more likely to be something electrical.
    Save a horse, ride a Cougrrr!
    1988 Mercury Cougar - 5.0HO, 3G, AOD w/shift kit, 4.10 gears in 8.8, Mass Air, CAI, Pypes X-pipe, Pypes 2 1/2" exhaust, Pypes Violator mufflers
    1997 Ford Mustang GT - stock
    2001 Mercury Grand Marquis - stock
    2007 Mercury Mountaineer - stock

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)

I agree with the inertia switch always check that first..
    1988 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe
    1987 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe
    1983 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe
    1979 Mercury Cougar XR7 302HO

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

where would my inertia switch be. i thought they were only on the 5.0 not the v6's. the ground wire your talking about is it the small one that connects to the negative cable on the battery?
    81 chevy malibu-proturing/ new drag car.( sbc 283 that will rev to the moon, t56 six speed, 4:56 posi rear)

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by blackcougar71 View Post
    where would my inertia switch be. i thought they were only on the 5.0 not the v6's.
    Nope they all have one.
    the ground wire your talking about is it the small one that connects to the negative cable on the battery?
    Yep, That's the one jcassity is talking about.
    It is the ground for the EEC computer. The EEC turns on the fuel pump by providing the ground for the fuel pump relay.

Ground the tan wire at the Self Test connector and turn the key on.(like jcassity suggested).
    If the pumps run it means the EEC is not doing it's thing.

If the pumps don't run the problem is betwen the EEC and the pumps. Like the fuel pump relay and the inertia switch. The inertia switch has a reset button to reset it if it is tripped.

Some pictures:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

where would my inertia switch be. i thought they were only on the 5.0 not the v6's. the ground wire your talking about is it the small one that connects to the negative cable on the battery?
    On an 84 I believe the inertia switch is on the passenger side in the trunk, around the hinge somewhere. If you have trim panels in the trunk, there should be a hole in the panel to press down the white button on the switch. I know on 87-88's it's in the trunk, in front on the taillights, right near the latch.

D'oh! Nevermind, just looked at the post right above mine with the pic. Should've read all the posts before replying.
    Last edited by CougrrrFiveO; 01-18-2010 at 09:33 AM. Reason: responding too quickly :P
    Save a horse, ride a Cougrrr!
    1988 Mercury Cougar - 5.0HO, 3G, AOD w/shift kit, 4.10 gears in 8.8, Mass Air, CAI, Pypes X-pipe, Pypes 2 1/2" exhaust, Pypes Violator mufflers
    1997 Ford Mustang GT - stock
    2001 Mercury Grand Marquis - stock
    2007 Mercury Mountaineer - stock

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

when i replace the negative battery cable i notice that the small black wire had so much corrosion that it crumbled. so i cut the section that was crumbled and put a little thicker piece of wire from the connector to the battery. since i replace the battery cable, the fuel pump haven't worked

Feedback Score

when i replace the negative battery cable i notice that the small black wire had so much corrosion that it crumbled. so i cut the section that was crumbled and put a little thicker piece of wire from the connector to the battery. since i replace the battery cable, the fuel pump haven't worked
    If what you did isn't working that will cause your problem.