Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Original cars, owners, documentation

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by rodsterh View Post
    Sure, that would be great. Make sure to include the year and where the car was made. Do you have a build date?
    Yep. It's an 88 LX built in Sep. 87.
    '88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, Edelbrock 70mm TB, 76mm C&L MAF, 30lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, AOD with 2800 PI converter, 8.8 with 3.73 gears, 31 spline Traction-Lok, 31 spline Moser axles, 04 Cobra front arms, Maximum Motorsports extreme duty rear arms, subframes.
    '11 Focus, '12 Mustang 3.7, '17 Accord EX-L V6

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Almost all of the 1983-88 Cougars and T-Birds were built in Lorain, OH (H in the VIN). For at least part of 1985 Ford also concurrently built the Thunderbird/Cougar lines in Atlanta, GA (A in the VIN). After 1985, production shifted exclusively to Lorain to allow Atlanta to build the Taurus/Sable in 1986.

The Atlanta VINs are not the same as the Lorain VINs. In other words, you could have H101234 and A101234, just as an example, at the end of two cars' VIN numbers. It gets weird but that's how Ford assigned VINs. Just FYI.

I have original 1984 and 1986 documentation for my current cars (Ford 999 report, built sheets, buck tags) if it will help. Probably the biggest area for collaboration will be for the original radios. Each radio type has a code on the built sheet, and that's the only place where you'll find that info. If you know what original radio was in your car then we can figure out a database for those. There will be some other areas (fabrics, outside trim, etc.) where we just have to put our heads together and deduce things. AFAIK nobody has really tried to decode the build sheets objectively for our cars. I'll help all I can.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)

I don't have any documentation on hand but know a little about these cars, I bought an 86 Bird brand new with 7 miles on it but sold it in 2000 with 177450 miles. It's replacement is in the driveway now, lol.

John

Grand Island, New York (between Buffalo, Niagara Falls and Ontario, Canada)
    Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

I got mine and I'm afraid to remove it.
    ***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****

5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner mufflers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
    Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed.
    Join us on Facebook

Feedback Score

I wish to help, have a very original 1987 5.0 sport coupe. Bought from the original family. Where can I look for the build sheet? Under the rear seat or the front passengar seat? The car is 90 - 95% original.

Just let me know

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

pulled everything out of my interior just to find
    the build sheet .never found it .also checked the
    trunk. what do you want to see? paint dobs,spring
    tags.original hoses, key tags window sticker? my car has pretty much
    everything from day one. mine also had some one break off the buck
    tag years ago though

Grand Island, New York (between Buffalo, Niagara Falls and Ontario, Canada)
    Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

now that you mention spring tags. for all the rust on my car, most of the tags were still on it. I did save what I could as far as tags. everything on my car was still original when it got put away.
    let me know what were looking for, I'll help.
    ***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****

5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner mufflers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
    Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed.
    Join us on Facebook

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by EricCoolCats View Post
    Almost all of the 1983-88 Cougars and T-Birds were built in Lorain, OH (H in the VIN). For at least part of 1985 Ford also concurrently built the Thunderbird/Cougar lines in Atlanta, GA (A in the VIN). After 1985, production shifted exclusively to Lorain to allow Atlanta to build the Taurus/Sable in 1986.

The Atlanta VINs are not the same as the Lorain VINs. In other words, you could have H101234 and A101234, just as an example, at the end of two cars' VIN numbers. It gets weird but that's how Ford assigned VINs. Just FYI.

I have original 1984 and 1986 documentation for my current cars (Ford 999 report, built sheets, buck tags) if it will help. Probably the biggest area for collaboration will be for the original radios. Each radio type has a code on the built sheet, and that's the only place where you'll find that info. If you know what original radio was in your car then we can figure out a database for those. There will be some other areas (fabrics, outside trim, etc.) where we just have to put our heads together and deduce things. AFAIK nobody has really tried to decode the build sheets objectively for our cars. I'll help all I can.
    Interesting info..thanks!

I've seen quite a few 1983-1985 "A" Atlanta VIN cars so I wonder what the ratio of Atlanta cars is to Lorain cars?

I have one of each (83's TBirds) and the Lorain car has a buck tag and build sheet under the seat, and the Atlanta car does not. Where was your 84 built? Did you find a build sheet or have a buck tag?

I also found some paint stamps on the Lorain car but not the Atlanta car. I know in the Mustang world Ford operated differently in different plants so I'm sure that holds true for Thunderbirds/Cougars too.

Another weird thing to remember about the VIN is the consecutive unit number does not necessarily relate to a production date.

I have not looked at my build sheet yet so I 'm not sure if it lists a build date but I find it odd the data plate on the door jamb only has a month and year, no date.

Any info any one has to offer, including pictures and documentation, would be helpful.
    tbirdregistry.com

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by daminc View Post
    now that you mention spring tags. for all the rust on my car, most of the tags were still on it. I did save what I could as far as tags. everything on my car was still original when it got put away.
    let me know what were looking for, I'll help.
    Those spring tags sure seem durable! I don't know what kind of material they used but they sure seem to last.

My suggestion to anyone who is interested in this kind of stuff would be to take pictures, including close ups and keep a file of everything you find.

When sharing the info, make sure to specify the year, build date and assembly plant.

Patterns will probably emerge at some point and it will probably relate to the codes on the build sheet.

Don't know if these cars will ever be the 'big buck collector cars" but if you have a good car, lots of documentation is always useful.
    tbirdregistry.com

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by daminc View Post
    I got mine and I'm afraid to remove it.

Great picture of the build sheet! I think the key to removal will be to unhook the springs which should make it much easier to remove (in one, or two pieces)

I have the same task ahead and experimented on another seat first. Odd place to put the build sheet....

Let us know if you get it out.

Rod
    tbirdregistry.com