Page 3 of 114 FirstFirst 12345671353103 ... LastLast

Thread: 1988 TC single Holset turbo 5.0/ 4R70W

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

The crown vics used a drivers side intake. May be able to use some brackets off of that motor. Might save you alittle bit of time.
    Quote Originally Posted by jcassity
    I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
    Hooligans!
    1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
    1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
    1986 cougar.
    lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Nice project, lots of luck getting her finished... Looking forward to seeing more posts!

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

holy damn. i'm in love.

what could of those turbos off of? or is it not a factory item off something?
    Currently Birdless but never Foxless

86 Mustang GT

Feedback Score

Thanks for the info Haystack. I am going to try to use the stock TC throttle cable and cruise control. If I use a 90 degree ell off the intake and angle it down a touch, I will be able to weld on a couple attach points and use stock 2.3 stuff. The Explorer throttle body pulls from the front, so I am going to braze a piece cut from a 2.3 linkage on top of the existing linkage and locate it where I want. The reason is that I have a slew of 2.3 parts here, and will have spares. I have a friend making me two plates that will bolt to the intake and to the throttle body. I'll weld the 3" ell between them.

The nice part is it will be a straight, short run into the IC from there. The BOV will locate between the TB and the IC in that run. I'll take pics of the fab when the plates are done (hopefully any day).

Thanks, Bob. It helps knowing you guys take an interest. Especially when things seem overwhelming. I've completed big projects before, but I seem to bite off a little more every time!

Next on the list will be getting the intake side done, and mounting the NPR IC, Explorer radiator, Taurus fan, and TC AC condenser. I will also be mounting a largish transmission cooler with fan, and a power steering fluid cooler. (I have an old Merkur transmission cooler that looks perfect for the job, so why not?)

I also want to paint and wrap the hot side while it is off. Fuel system, subframe connectors and run the rest of the exhaust are near the top, too.

Keep the suggestions coming, I appreciate it!

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Dougy_Fresh View Post
    holy damn. i'm in love.

what could of those turbos off of? or is it not a factory item off something?
    LOL, I think I'm going to love it. I loved my previous two TC's. One 5 speed, one auto that I bought for my daughter. She was just learning to drive, and hated the visibility, so I sold it for her Saturn SL1, which she adores and takes good care of.

The turbo is from a 6.7 Dodge Cummins truck.

Walt has done some experimenting with it on his BMW, and it is a strange bird. The 'sweet spot' for the gate is much smaller than we thought. Too tight (where you'd think to get quick spool) and it chokes the engine with backpressure. So much so it's like a car with a clogged cat converter that barely runs. Too loose and the spool is late. When it comes on, however it has a vertical boost build. 30 psi right NOW! He has it set pretty well right now, but the range of acceptable operation is only about .300 travel on the arm! I expect with my 5.0 giving twice the exhaust pulses to work the turbine I'll see somewhat more range, but I see myself locking down the sleeve in one position and tuning fuel and spark maps for whatever that is.

Ideally I'd like to experiment with different sleeve positions and graph backpressure at different places. Then fab a device to move the arm between 2 stops so as to be able to select street/strip with the premium switch on the dash, and have two tunes available in megasquirt that go with each.

That's definitely down the road. First is to just get it running up and down the street this year.
    Last edited by flylear45; 05-29-2009 at 09:04 PM. Reason: wording

Feedback Score

Hey guys! Just wanted to let you all know where I am right now on this. Had a busy Summer and the project has just been sitting. I got the intake plates cut and in hand, so I'm ready to begin cold side work.

I am bringing in all the Tbird parts from the outside lean-to beside the garage so I can get to it this Winter. Once I have the garage re-arranged it's go time! I expect to have it running early next year. Updates to follow...

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Awesome...can't wait to see more pics too
    '84 and '87 Mustangs
    '98 Explorer

FORD forever!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Keep us updated.
    '88 'bird, 1-family owned, original 302 converted to HO, T-5 swap, CHE upper/lower control arms, weld-in SFC's, BBK shorty headers & O/R H-pipe, Dynomax mufflers, fox GT tailpipes, Turbo Coupe 8.8 w/3.73's, 11" front brakes, lowered, Tokico Blue shocks/struts, Chuck W shock adapters and motor mounts, 15:1 rack & PS pump, custom alum. driveshaft, chrome '93 Cobra wheels, Falken tires, 20% tint, close to 190,000 miles!

Feedback Score

WOW, great project... Guess I better be careful choosing which silver TCs to pick on ...

My other rides (that actually do run & drive)

1969 Fairlane Cobra 428CJ 4-Speed << New 49th Birthday Picture

1972 Comet GT - 306 C4

Feedback Score

Got back on the TC a little:

1. epoxied/strengthened theheater core outlets. Cleaned out heater box and AC evaporator. Heater ready to install.

2. Fuel tank cleaned and painted (POR 15) new pump and sock ready to install

3. Ran into issues on fuel rail. Stock rail with FPR won't fit under flipped intake.

Solution was to buy BBK FPR and $150.00 of stainless line and adapters to attach it to the stock rail. Then tap and plug the outlet for the stock FPR.

(see attachment for details on some interesting fittings)

The BBK (and most universal FPR's) returns from the supply side, so it routes from the FPR back into the body return line.

Now to get the subs welded on and install the tank, filter, etc.

Then take apart the hotside, paint and wrap it, then on to the rad/IC/condenser, ps cooler and trans cooler mountings. All that needs done before I can fab the cold side.

I'm feeling motivated finally to get this running, and have a little time to play this week, so maybe I can get over the hump here.
    Attached Files Attached Files