Page 2 of 113 FirstFirst 1234561252102 ... LastLast

Thread: 1988 TC single Holset turbo 5.0/ 4R70W

Feedback Score

Add a 3" v-band for spark plug access and complete the pipe past the starter area.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score

Add in the wastegate piping.

Feedback Score

And finish weld the pipes.

This is where I am now. What do you guys think?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Make me one too? lol j/k

Looks good, and sweet damn that's a big-assed turbo! lol
    '84 Mustang, work in (sloooooooow) progress...
    '87 Stang notch
    1994 Ford F150 Flareside
    1997 Explorer V8 conversion (in progress)
    1998 Explorer 5.0
    and a couple of tractors. Ford, of course.
    FORD power, for life!

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Now that's a ton of engineering and fabrication! Great project!

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)

Sweet resurrection of a TC. I like it. A V-8, yet still technically a TurboCoupe.
    88 TC 5speed, 168000+ miles, stock 2.3T long block, ported RFE6 exhaust, Evergreen T3 running 15#'s.
    Up next: FMIC, fresh air intake, ported intakes, ported big valve head.

Feedback Score

Thanks a lot guys! I have this posted up on Turboforums, but there's so many projects over there it's kind of lost. It really belongs over here.

FordTruckFreeek,
    I can't believe you'd say that after seeing my welding! The turbine housing is so big to house the adjustable sleeve that varies the turbine A/R. My neighbor and I both have one of these turbos. He put his on his Ford 2.3 turbo BMW. That's him holding stuff up in the pics. He has been helping a lot on this.

86T-bird, It's really not just another swap/turbo project since I'm using the largely untried VGT Holset and the electronic transmission. Not to mention keeping the Explorer accessories.b There really is a lot of first-time (I've seen it) engineering.

jangus, I am DEFINITELY keeping all the turbocoupe badging as-is. It truly will be a TC still.

Feedback Score

Good things about doing this:

1. Turbo was cheap. 150.00 shipped to me, and it looks to have only a few thousand miles.
    2. 4R70W is latest version of AOD. Supports 450HP stone stock. Overdrive for highway mpg's. 3.8 version bolts right up, including torque converter. Cheap and easy to source.
    3. Explorer engine already has EDIS wheel, coil packs, 65mm TB, good intake, 130 amp alternator, 134A AC compressor, and correct flywheel.
    4. Although pipe and v-bands aren't cheap, a turbo and Megasquirt is cheaper to make 450 HP with than trying to get it N/A.
    5. Fuel system is adequate in stock form with just a 255 lph pump in the tank. I will be making custom lines to go from the lines on the body to the engine.

The bad stuff:
    1. Need aftermarket computer for transmission. $450.00. Still cheaper than a built AOD.
    2. Weight! Intercooler, pipe, turbo, all add lbs. All in the nose.
    3. Heat! Gotta keep it in check. Pipe wrap and heat shield will be used for that on starter, alternator, etc. I'm going to try to take advantage of the TC hood scoops, too.
    4. Engine management. I'm a Megasquirt guy, so that's my choice for this project, too. I'll use EDIS spark and brown tops for now. They should see me into the block splitting HP range.
    5. Complexity. Lots of systems working together, lots of custom wiring. I'm not afraid!
    6. Custom fab. Every thing is custom. I have to make TB plates so I can flip the intake over to the driver side, custom power steering and AC lines have to be made, custom engine mounts (Thanks, Chuck!), exhaust, transmission shifter, blah, blah, blah. Hope it's worth it in the end.
    Last edited by flylear45; 05-29-2009 at 02:55 PM. Reason: addition

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)

Holy exhaust system, Batman!

I'm planning a "similar" project on the Scorpio (single on the V6).

Looks like a fun project.

I wish I had a car-guy neighbor. Then again...
    Long live the 4-eyes! - '83 Tbird Turbo

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck W View Post
    Holy exhaust system, Batman!

I'm planning a "similar" project on the Scorpio (single on the V6).

Looks like a fun project.

I wish I had a car-guy neighbor. Then again...
    The coldside will be MUCH easier. One advantage to a single turbo system over duals. I have the downpipe done to where it'll be just 1/2 day to complete it.

The Scorpio should be a cool project. Will the headers swap and/or flip on that engine?

Walt is a great neighbor. His young family keeps him busy enough that we don't get as much time together goofing off as we would elsewise. It was 3 years after he moved in before I knew he was a gearhead!