Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: door handles??

87tbird302 Guest

Default door handles??

How do I take my old door handles off my 88 t-bird. Also will mustang door handles work? My friend had some new ones laying around and he said that mustang ones should fit.

Feedback Score
    135 (100%)

Default Re: door handles??

Yes,the Mustang handles will work just fine.They're the same.I remove mine by pulling the door panel (obviously),and on the backside of the handle,there are the backs of the rivets.The back of the rivet will look as though it has 3 "tabs" bent out holding the handle to the car.Simply get a flat screwdriver and bend the tabs up a little,the break the off with a pair of pliers or wire cutters (2 rivets on each side).After that,Get a phillips head screwdriver,and place it in the center of the rivet on the inside of the car and pop it with a hammer.The rivets will pop out,and the handles will come off.Easy.When putting the new handles on,use bolts,lock washers,and locking nuts.It makes removing them in the future (hopefully you won't have to) easier.Good luck.I hope I explained it alright.I'll be glad to help you in any way.Good luck.

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)

Instead of mesing around with prying this and that...from the outside, take a punch and knock the center out of the rivet and then drill the rest out with a 1/4" drill bit....

Boom, done in less than 2 minutes. You still need to get to inside though to work the handle off the latch lever, but you'd have to do that anyway.
    Long live the 4-eyes! - '83 Tbird Turbo

Bird351 Guest

Damn, you guys are mind-readers. I was sitting in a parking lot today waiting to pick my aunt up from work, and started thinking I needed to deal with the partially busted door handle on the '86 soon. I know the trick to opening it quickly, but no one else here does. (thumb on the top of the handle, holding it in place so it can open properly) Should fix it soon, too.. the car may get more drivers once my '88 is operational.

Feedback Score

The back of the rivet will look as though it has 3 "tabs"
    Ehhhhh.. I get bored, I post pictures:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Death awaits you all with nasty, big, pointy teeth.

1988 5.0 Bird, mostly stock, partly not, now gone to T-Bird heaven.
    1990 Volvo 740GL. 114 tire-shredding horsies, baby!

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

I needed to deal with the partially busted door handle on the '86 soon. I know the trick to opening it quickly, but no one else here does. (thumb on the top of the handle, holding it in place so it can open properly)
    Must be common because I broke mine on the driver's side about three years back and was opening my door the same way for about 3 months until I decided to repaint the car and put the new handle on.
    -- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !! -- 87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's! http://www.fquick.com/V8Demon

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

drivers side of the red bird is broken too, and it seems every fox body guy thats opened the door knows what to do, thumb on top of handle to push down on it while you lift it to open
    It's Gumby's fault.

87tbird302 Guest

LOL thats exactly what is wrong with my door handle. Thanks for the picture, it's helpful.

Feedback Score
    135 (100%)

My handle broke today.................jinxed.

ban-one Guest

If you want an even quicker way to take the old handles off, just find an idiot coworker that thinks it's funny to jerk up on the handle as hard as he can when the temperature is 10 below zero. Comes right off! I hate that guy.