Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: $1.00 gas

Feedback Score

Default Re: $1.00 gas

i may be talking out of my arse but. i think i may have a point. isnt their some laws about monopolys meaning that if a copany gets to big they have to sell foo some to gain more. so why is it that the oil companies can keep growing with out sacrafice.

like i said im probably wrong and someone will clear things up for me. . (i'll get ready to slap my head)
    trick flow street heat intake , 24lbs injetors, ported GT-40's (Chip) long tube headers. and a Performance Automatic C4, with a hurst shifter!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

because they're not based in the US?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Quite simply because the oil companies are powerful enough that the gov't won't dare touch 'em. They've got lots of money, and lots of money equals a big lobbying power. Not to mention that in areas that have a sales tax on top of the price of gas (like here in Nova Scotia, where 15% of the price is sales tax, in ADDITION to the other taxes), the higher price means higher revenue.

'Round here we have the additional problem in that 90% of the local stations are owned by the big oil companies. When, say, Petro Canada (and it's ALWAYS either Petro Canada or Esso) decides they want to raise the price, they call all their local stations and tell them to. At once every Petro Canada in town raises their price. within a few minutes all of the other corporate stations raise their prices too. A few independants will hold the line on the price for a few hours (Wilson's, most particularly). Sometimes they will hold it long enough that the big companies are forced to lower theirs, but more often than not, the big companies simply raise the wholesale price enough that Wilson's is forced to raise their prices (because Wilsons must buy their fuel from the big companies). When the price of gas goes up the station managers say it's because the wholesale price went up. The station owners control the wholesale price. See anything fishy here?

Then, every time the price takes a jump, the public starts crying for regulation. The oil companies counter with their argument that these are global forces that local regulation can't control. They say that regulation will actually INCREASE prices, ignoring the fact that Prince Edward Island, a province with regulated prices, is consistently 10 cents/liter (about 38 cents/gallon) cheaper. Or even more cheaper. I don't think that PEI has had more expensive gas than NS once in the three or four years that this gouging has been going on. The big oil companies will maintain that a free market is better, competition is healthy they say, yet the price of gas does not vary by so much as one tenth of one cent anywhere within 100 miles of Halifax. They're all working together to screw us, and the government turns a blind eye while they rake in the taxes.

Much like auto insurance. We're forced by law to pay it but there are no laws regulating what they can charge us.

We're getting boned.
    2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

We're getting boned.
    Indeed. Bio diesel. That's where it's at. There's a place near where I live called Matlock Farms that sells it for $1.35 per gallon.
    -Jim
    1987 Cougar LS 5.0

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder Chicken
    Quite simply because the oil companies are powerful enough that the gov't won't dare touch 'em.
    And in some cases, the oil companies are the government. *cough*Bush*cough*
    CAW! oldraven 87 TC 2.3Ti, Firetruck 76 Custom300 360, 03 Saturn Vue 2.2 CVT AWD

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

No wonder you're coughing. You've got a bush in your throat
    2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Does anyone really think we'll see a difference in gas prices once Bush is out of office? (This is assuming we don't end up with another one? I work at a privately-owned Marathon station and a majority of the people that come in blame the entire gas issue on president Bush. They'll say "oh, he's an oil man, he stands to make more money". Is all of this really true? If GWB is so responsible for this in the US then why is it going on in Canada, too?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Ifixyawata
    If GWB is so responsible for this in the US then why is it going on in Canada, too?
    Because Canada's prices also reflect the ability (or lack) of the US to negotiate terms with OPEC. Not to get into a political debate or anything, but the Bush administration has been far less resilient in dealing with the OPEC nations concerning crude oil prices. The Clinton administration was notorious for using the "tough guy" approach to prices since they knew that Americans needed oil, but also that the OPEC nations wanted our money. Bush is faced with a different situation, not only because of his own interests in oil profits, but also because China has become a major player in buying oil from the Middle East. With two major buyers, it gives OPEC definite leverage over prices.

On a side note, drilling/researching ANWAR is not the solution to the pending energy crisis. Even the optimists know that any potential oil supplied by this area would hardly put a dent in import volume, and it would be far more expensive.

Sorry if this sounds over political! Whoops.
    1988 Cougar XR7
    2007 Expedition EL
    2016 WRX
    2016 SS 6-spd

Feedback Score

Well, it's not hurting me any. I filled up last night for 48.8 C/L!
    CAW! oldraven 87 TC 2.3Ti, Firetruck 76 Custom300 360, 03 Saturn Vue 2.2 CVT AWD

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

you and your propane...

it just went up to 99.9/liter here today, so dollar gas is one tenth of one cent away...