Thread: Cobra brakes and stock master cylinder?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Default Cobra brakes and stock master cylinder?

Okay guys here is the deal I've got a turbo rear with mark 7 calipers up front the car stops fine I've not changed anything except addind 4 wheel disc brakes is the master cylinder up to the task of the cobra brakes

Thanks
    Robert

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)

It might be helpful to tell folks what car you have...

You "may" need to step up to a slightly larger MC. What is the pedal travel like with the 73mm calipers up front with the TC disks in the rear.

I have a 1" bore MC on the '83 that has Cobras up front and currently TC in the rear and pedal feel and travel is fine.

The piston area on those 73mm calipers is huge though...quite a bit more than the Cobra calipers. I'm surprised you're not having issues as it is if you're using a stock MC.
    Long live the 4-eyes! - '83 Tbird Turbo

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

It's and 86 tbird 5.0 car the travel seems fine car stops good. I tried a master cylinder before and I lost power brakes if u know of a master cylinder that's usable and my power brakes will still work I'll try
    Thanks
    Robert

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)

Not sure what you mean by "lost power brakes".

The 1" bore MC is from an '80 Mk 6

Mine works fine the way I descirbed.
    Long live the 4-eyes! - '83 Tbird Turbo

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

I have TC rear disks and Mustang 11" fronts with the stock T-bird MC and the pedal travels too far. The car stops O.K. but does need a better MC...hope this helps.
    '88 'bird, 1-family owned, original 302 converted to HO, T-5 swap, CHE upper/lower control arms, weld-in SFC's, BBK shorty headers & O/R H-pipe, Dynomax mufflers, fox GT tailpipes, Turbo Coupe 8.8 w/3.73's, 11" front brakes, lowered, Tokico Blue shocks/struts, Chuck W shock adapters and motor mounts, 15:1 rack & PS pump, custom alum. driveshaft, chrome '93 Cobra wheels, Falken tires, 20% tint, close to 190,000 miles!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

okay well if i get a master cylinder from a 94 95 mustang v6 non abs it looks like ill need adapters so the lines will hook up any input on the sizes

i know the bird master cylinder has big fittings and the other master cylinder has small lines

thanks

Robert

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

You do not need to switch to the aluminum 3-port master cylinder. You need to find a cast iron (2-port) m/c with larger reservoirs but a marginally larger bore. The m/c that ChuckW suggested will work fine. I've got that same basic one (1984 Crown Vic police) in my '86 with the stock booster and Cobra brakes...pedal is rock solid, no issues whatsoever. It didn't feel all that great with the 11" brake upgrade (pedal feel never inspired confidence) but the 13" Cobra brakes really made the pedal about perfect.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

okay what do you do about the different fittings? the 86 are big the 80 mc are small fittings

Robert

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Adapters work fine...available at NAPA stores or other decent parts stores. Would recommend steel instead of brass; they're less likely to leak.

I don't recall there being a "perfect fit" m/c for your existing lines. One way or another, something has to be done.

Are you running an adjustable proportioning valve? If so, you could also bend up lines with the fittings you need.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

nope its all stockexcept the brakes

Robert