Thread: Tranny Shift Points

wayfastwhitey87 Guest

Default Tranny Shift Points

HEY
    i have just put a transgo shift kit in my 87 cougar xr7 with a AOD. it shifts at around 4000 rpm's. is their any way i can up it with out taking the tranny apart again.
    thanks!!

tbirdmanjwg Guest

Default Re: Tranny Shift Points

did the shift kit you used come in a blue box with a pamlet of instructions, and was it purchased off of e-bay? if so, i would take it out right away before your trannie dies...

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

I agree,mine did.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

Here we go the dreaded TransGo argument again
    It seems to be a love/hate relationship around here.....Dominator has had nothing but problems as have others. Other people such as myself have had nothing but good from them. I do have to admit I put mine in an AOD with 5000 miles on it.
    Anyway mine shifts aroun 52-5400 depending on the gear I'm in. So 4000 sounds low. Have you adjusted your TV cable?

Questiion for Tbirdmanjwg: Yours came in a blue box? Did it come with the video?
    Last edited by V8Demon; 03-21-2005 at 10:06 PM.
    -- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !! -- 87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's! http://www.fquick.com/V8Demon

wayfastwhitey87 Guest

thanks but what does the cable look like and how do you adjust it. i have a 87 xr7 5.0.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

http://www.foxtbirdcougarforums.com/...ead.php?t=1722
    Has some pictures of the cable
    and heres how to adjust it:
    http://www.txchange.com/aodadj.htm
    -- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !! -- 87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's! http://www.fquick.com/V8Demon

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Flockhart
    Here we go the dreaded TransGo argument again
    It seems to be a love/hate relationship around here.....Dominator has had nothing but problems as have others. Other people such as myself have had nothing but good from them. I do have to admit I put mine in an AOD with 5000 miles on it.
    Anyway mine shifts aroun 52-5400 depending on the gear I'm in. So 4000 sounds low. Have you adjusted your TV cable?

Questiion for Tbirdmanjwg: Yours came in a blue box? Did it come with the video?
    Love my Trans Go... Going into year #6 with mine. Started with a used 45K mi SC tranny, now has approx 75K mi and 400 drag strip passes, several with nitrous. The T-Go is definatly the savior of my AOD, as it struggled badly on 6000+ RPM manual shifts without it...

My other rides (that actually do run & drive)

1969 Fairlane Cobra 428CJ 4-Speed

1972 Comet GT - 306 C4

Feedback Score

I agree fully, I have NEVER heard of any complaints with the Transgo shift kit, they really set the standard for AOD shiftkits and actually shiftkits in general. I ran mine for over 3 years without problems and when I pulled the trans it still shifted fine, just a little soft due to normal wear and tear. THe TV cable is a vital(cannot stress that enough) part of the AOD trans. Basically it controls the blood pressure of the transmission if you will. With the throttle blade at WOT, the TV cable should be pulled all the way out. Low trans pressure would cause early shifting and you described. However, unless you installed the new govenor included with the trans, the 2-3 shift will always shift earlier than the 1-2 shift, which is normal. Unfortunately there is no way to hold 3rd gear unless you do the 1-D-1 shuffle.
    1988 Tbird Stock bottom end 306, Windsor Jr's, Explorer intake, 125 shot.
    Best ET: 12.11 Best MPH: 113.8 1/4 mile