Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: BBK h-pipe hangs too low

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Default BBK h-pipe hangs too low

Ok, so I may have brought this up before but I can't find it in any search results...

I put a bbk catted H made for an 89 mustang on my 88 'bird when I did the 5.0 swap. Problem is it hangs WAY to low. Way lower than I've ever seen h-pipes on a mustang. It wasn't a problem for a while (just a visual problem) but now that I've moved, I have several speed bumps I have to go over everyday, to and from work. The cats drag on each one and I'm afraid that before long I will have massive holes! ANyone else have these issues with a mustang spec h-pipe? Do some tuck up better than others or do I need to go custom? oh, and yes, it is in the proper place, I did not skip the tran x-mem hangers...
    1988 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe
    '89 5.0 w/ ported intakes, Mallory Adjustable FPR, BBK shorties and H with 2.5" Flows, 130 amp 3G, 89 Mustang comp/wiring, Aluminum radiator w/ elec fan, T5 trans, King Cobra clutch, 3.55 gears, 13" Cobra brakes (front), Wilwood prop valve, Mustang A-arms, Front Coil-overs, MM CC plates, Silver 17x9 R's, 03 Cobra IRS, Aluminum DS, 2002 Mustang dash/console etc..., custom leather seats

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

I would just get some wood and jack it up a couple of inches with your floor jack. If that doesn't work than take off the pipe and and bend the hangers in alittle with a pipe (slip pipe over hanger and bend it in). I think your problem is that you should have bent the hangers and fitted it some before installing it.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

That makes sense. I guess I forget that the h-pipe can rotate on the ball and socket joints. I'll loosen them up and then use the jack. Thanks
    '89 5.0 w/ ported intakes, Mallory Adjustable FPR, BBK shorties and H with 2.5" Flows, 130 amp 3G, 89 Mustang comp/wiring, Aluminum radiator w/ elec fan, T5 trans, King Cobra clutch, 3.55 gears, 13" Cobra brakes (front), Wilwood prop valve, Mustang A-arms, Front Coil-overs, MM CC plates, Silver 17x9 R's, 03 Cobra IRS, Aluminum DS, 2002 Mustang dash/console etc..., custom leather seats

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

?? I'm not sure we're on the same page. The hangers that slide in the tranny exhaust mounts need to be bent toward the pipe to make it fit tighter. By jacking up the pipe with it installed you will be bending the hangers inward

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Actually, by jacking under the h-pipe, the weight of the car should push down on the hangers and bend them down/back and the h-pipe should tuck closer to the x-member. And I said I'd loosen the ball/socket connection so the h-pipe can pivot upward without putting to much pressure on the header bolts. I think this makes sense, right? Even jut as a temp solution...?

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

I think you putting too much thought into it. The hangers need to be adjusted alittle, by jacking up the whole section you will accomplish that. Or take it apart and bend them by hand and reinstall. I always jacked up my hpipes to tweak them and get them to fit right.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

LOL, or maybe you're reading into my reply to much I just plan on putting the jack under the h-pipe and jacking up. That's what you mean, right?

Feedback Score
    135 (100%)

My X-Pipe from Pype's didn't even have hangers.I have never needed them and the exhaust is tight and high.Cut the hangers off.
    '88 Sport--T-5,HURST shifter,TMoss GT-40 intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,70mm t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster 40's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels,Mass Air, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

So you just rely on the h-pipe to header bolts and the muffler hangers to keep you system up?

Feedback Score
    135 (100%)

They are stronger than you think.The muffler hangers are very strong,the tailpipes have hangers in the back,the X-Pipe is only like 4 feet long and weighs next to nothing.I've had the X-pipe like that for nearly two years without ever having any problems at all.No rattling,no no sagging,no nothing.It's very solid.When the Bird had the catted exhaust,it didn't have hangers holding that heavy crap up near the floor.
    '88 Sport--T-5,HURST shifter,TMoss GT-40 intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,70mm t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster 40's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels,Mass Air, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..