Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: TC springs?

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

Default TC springs?

Does anyone have the damping rates of TC springs as opposed to the V8 springs? I'm looing into a little bit of a change....
    Also how much of a drop am I looking at realistically? Car weighs about 3400 pounds WITH me and a half a tank of gas.
    -- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !! -- 87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's! http://www.fquick.com/V8Demon

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

Anyone?
    -- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !! -- 87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's! http://www.fquick.com/V8Demon

Feedback Score

Rears are identical to the Sport, fronts will lower a aluminum headed 5.0 AOD combo approx 3/4"...

OR at least my TC sets 3/4 " lower than a stock one...

F'u Photobucket

- SOLD ----------- SOLD ------------ SOLD --------- PARTED(RIP) --- Yeah It's Got A V8 .
    .................................................. .....................................(Just Not Presently)

1969 Fairlane Cobra 428CJ 4-Speed

1972 Comet GT - 306 C4

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

I experienced a drop of 2" in the convertible up front. Tires rubbed on the inner fender liners. The stock springs went back in and they're much, much better. The TC springs were from a low-mileage wrecked car and measured within 1/8" of each other out of the car. My car is about 3800 lbs. without driver. I can't even tell you what the weight distribution is because of the convertible stuff and the extra bracing; it should be more back-heavy than anything.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

That's a big difference between you guys as I know Tom has kept his car fully optioned....If I did this I'd be going new springs.....

Check this out:

SPICER Part # 5891040 {Sold in Pairs -- Professional Grade / Inside Diameter=4.01" Wire Diameter=.593" Free Height=13.33" Load height=10"}
    Rear; Turbo Coupe

SPICER Part # 5911016 {Sold in Pairs -- Professional Grade / Inside Diameter=4.01" Wire Diameter=.65" Free Height=12.63" Load height=10.25"}
    Rear Variable Rate; Turbo Coupe
    Opinions on the 2? Which is more suited to a good launch @ the track with all other components being equal?

Pluses and minuses on both?

Also on the front:

SPICER Part # 5851104 {Sold in Pairs -- Professional Grade / Inside Diameter=3.5" Wire Diameter=.656" Free Height=15.13" Load height=11"}
    Front; Air Conditioning; Turbo Coupe
    How do these Spicers compare to offerings from Husky, Moog, and OEM Ford? I know they are all SUPPOSED to be replacements, but we all know how that goes....

Feedback Score
    135 (100%)

Let me break in and ask,what springs will lower the Sport about an inch to an inch and a half up front?The rear is fine.
    '88 Sport--T-5,HURST shifter,TMoss GT-40 intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,70mm t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster 40's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels,Mass Air, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by V8Demon View Post
    That's a big difference between you guys as I know Tom has kept his car fully optioned....If I did this I'd be going new springs.....
    In light of Eric's experience, any chance the spring pocket depth varies per application??? At the track, my car has weighed 3560 with a small tool box and 3/4 tank of gas...

I have approx 140K mi on the original springs... Unless one busts ain't no way I'm touching them...

As I stated it sets approx 3/4" lower than the other level TCs I've checked... My red one is crooked as Hell...

F'u Photobucket

- SOLD ----------- SOLD ------------ SOLD --------- PARTED(RIP) --- Yeah It's Got A V8 .
    .................................................. .....................................(Just Not Presently)

1972 Comet GT - 306 C4

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

In light of Eric's experience, any chance the spring pocket depth varies per application???
    They do, between the A-arms. I'm still running the stock 1983-86 length control arms. The 1987-88 arms have a deeper pocket than mine. So that's why I was really surprised at how much my car sank because by all measurements the car shouldn't have dropped as much as it did. Honestly it became undriveable...I had to be very careful in any kind of corners, going up inclines into driveways...hell, I couldn't even get the car into the parking lot at work. It was like that for 2 years, then I put the stock springs back in (which were already at a very nice stance) and the car is back to driving great, and no scraping or cornering issues.

Basically I put the TC springs in because I thought I "should" have. On paper it was a great idea. In reality it just didn't work out like I'd hoped.

Now...this is just my experience, using the 1983-86 (Fox Mustang) control arms, in an already overweight car. I would hope my experience was the exception, not the norm. As it is right now, I'm afraid to try any other spring in that car, but it's not like I'm stuck with something I don't like because those stockers that I have are frickin' awesome for stance.

So...hopefully I haven't scared anyone from using TC springs.

Feedback Score

Here is what a set of turbo coupe springs looks like with an iron headed V8. They won't drop it as much as you would think. It has actually settled down a little since then, but I'm still going to get a set of H&R lowering springs when funds become available.

1987 Tbird 5.0 swap, go fast mods coming soon....

Feedback Score

Woah Granny, looks like it's on stilts..

I can't seem to locate a picture that shows the amount of space between the tire and fender, but these give some idea...

Rear is down a little in the first shot as I had approx 150lbs in the trunk... Pict was taken just before I left for Carlisle in '02...
    Attached Images Attached Images

F'u Photobucket

1972 Comet GT - 306 C4