Page 20 of 27 FirstFirst ... 10161718192021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: 408 stroker project (updated 3/24/14) I finally drove it!

Feedback Score

LOL!! that's right!!! I forgot about that!!!!
    Duckin' agents like we was trapped in da matrix!

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Nate View Post
    dont worry bob... i've been working on mine for 6 years, i still got the roller rockers you gave me lol... i scrap'd whole car and started over on another one, and im in the middle of doing a 331 with my t56 and cobra irs. takes time, but its worth it in the end. just remember how much fun your black car was before the engine desided it wanted to be 2 4-cylinders instead of a v-8 lol... sometimes i just sit in the car and pretend to drive and remember how bad ass my white car was, always gets me motivated. besides that cougar is destined to be bad ass, remember bill beating that guy with the 3rd gen camaro at atco, and he was so pissed a old ass cougar beat him he left without even getting his time slip lol?
    glad to hear your project is coming along Nate. LOL I've sat in the driver seat listening to some music and doing a little shifting..

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

I got some work done mostly odds and ends (swaybar end links installed, replaced leaking ps pump). After talking to some people about my problem, Mark suggested that I clean the chip contacts on the EEC. I did find the contacts on the EEC where the chip connects were really dirty. So what I'm hoping is the settings on the chip never made it to the EEC. I went through about 3 erasers cleaning them up, I have a good connection now with the diablosport chip and the port. I put oil in it last night. Just have to gas it up, prime the oil pump, and fire her up. I'll post a video this weekend of it running if I get some time to fire it up. Keeping my fingers crossed that the tailpipes have no black smoke LOL

If it still runs rich I'm going to try another meter. I'm looking into one of those abaco dbx97.

Here's some updated pics:

IMG_1042.jpg

IMG_1043.jpg

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Your car is looking great and will be a lot of fun to drive. That engine will definitely be a conversion piece in that car too. If car is still running rich / missing, make sure you have the Left and Right O2 sensors connected to the correct harness connectors. I had the left and right reversed on my engine swap and it drove me nuts for quite a while.
    1988 Thunderbird
    306 HO w/ A9P processor
    AOD w/ Transgo Reprogrammer
    MAC Offroad ProChamber w/ Dual Borla ProXS mufflers
    Full Digital Dash w/ twin Cyberdyne A-pillar gauges
    245/50/16 Tires on Snowflakes

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

This thing was running pig rich to where there was tons of black smoke and poping in the exhaust, after about ten minutes of running it would just foul out the plugs and die. When I open up the throttle and get some rpms it smooths out and sounds strong as hell near WOT. The current theory about the meter and injectors not working right makes sense cause if the EEC is pulsing the injectors for 19# and really dumping 42# than that would explain the rich condition. I can't wait to run it this weekend and see where I'm at.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Bob,

It really looks great! I can appreciate the number of hours its taken to get it to this stage.

Have my fingers crossed for you on the eraser trick! Look forward to hearing good news.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by 86T-bird View Post
    Bob,

It really looks great! I can appreciate the number of hours its taken to get it to this stage.

Have my fingers crossed for you on the eraser trick! Look forward to hearing good news.
    Thanks dude. If it doesn't work I'm going to buy the abaco meter, if that doesn't work I'm going to flip out and rip out all the EFI stuff and slap a carb on it.. Either way this thing is going to be ready for the spring.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    I'm going to flip out and rip out all the EFI stuff and slap a carb on it.. Either way this thing is going to be ready for the spring.
    Thats my plan for the bird. one way or another.. Gonna have a warmed over 302. carber. easy clean and super simple.

Cars looking good Bob

Demon- 87 LX 302, E7's, ARP bolts, Mallory Unilite Distributor, MSD 6A, Edelbrock Performer Intake, Edelbrock 600 Carb, Flowtech Lts, 5Speed, 8.8w/3.55's, Granatelli Tube K-Member & LCA's, Coil Overs, KYB 4ways, CHE arms, 3" rear drop springs, BBK C/C Plates, Fuel Cell, Bat. Relocation, Mac Mufflers, Stinger Tails, Sunpro gauges, Custom Lip Spoiler
    88 LX-Mostly stock, headers, h-pipe, flowmaster 40's and that's about it

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Keep at it...I still expect to get a ride in it someday.

Jim

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by 86T-bird View Post
    Bob,

Ok heres a recap:

I went from running the car at idle for only 10 min with black smoke pouring out of the tailpipes and than it dies from fouling the plugs up.

I cleaned the contacts of EEC service port real good and started it last weekend

Now it runs really good. I had it running with no smoke and nice exhaust note. About an hour past and I had the car running for about 20 min at a time I noticed after the 3rd time the idle was getting worse, than it had difficult starting from just turning the key, I let it cool and pulled the plugs and they were black but not anything like they were before. It threw a code that I haven't checked yet.

I think I'm good just need to complete the tune at this point to get the a/f right. One thing I did notice was a whistle like sound coming from around the throttle body valve cover fill spout area. I pulled the valve cover cap off (trickflow covers) and I had a huge amount of vacuum in the valve cover to where it was loud, it was almost sucking the cap back on the spout, and was loud enough to here while engine was running. I turned car off checked my pcv valve and screen and they appear to be okay. I was able to blow through the screen with my mouth with it in my hand. The pcv valve rattled like they normally do.

Any thoughts on the valve cover vacuum?? Is that normal?

Up next is bleed the master cylinder (peddle is soft), get some sort of hood scoop for the hole, and call insurance company to take it for a road test.

Than it needs to get alignment, windshield, inspection, tune