Thread: Reassessment of the 87

Feedback Score

Default Reassessment of the 87

The thread about how much we all enjoy our cars has made me rethink what i have been doing with my 87 as of lately, which is absolutely nothing.

I have a few key points i need to get to fixing

The Cougar as of today

Ouch

Ouch

Triple ouch

Once i can find another job i MUST start saving to fix this body rot and the dent i put in the overfender. Does any of the aftermarket rust arrester/stopper spray stuff work by the way.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)

POR-15 is your friend. It *NEVER* comes off though!
    Michael Pinto

83 RX-7 GSL; 12A/5-Speed, Red/Red; 100% Stock - 16.344@83.34
    01 CV Police Interceptor; 4.6 SOHC V8/4R70W, Dk Blue/Grey; K&N FIPK/RP Oil/Optima/Superchips/Flowmaster 40's/2.5" cat-back - 14.854@92.37
    84 TBird Turbo Coupe (John's); MY 5.0/T5, Rescued from the crusher, we're building it for the $2009 GRM Challenge.

http://www.rotarycarclub.com/

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

I have tried the rust stopper stuff that turns the rust black to no avail.

Feedback Score

i dont think rust stopper is actually a fix but more of a band-aid. i mean it's supposed to slow rusting not stop it, if they're advertising it as a stopper than they're lien SOBS

An American Restoration.
    1987 Ford Thunderbird Sport (resting)
    1993 Mazda Miata 1.6l (daily driver)

Grand Island, New York (between Buffalo, Niagara Falls and Ontario, Canada)
    Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

i dont think rust stopper is actually a fix but more of a band-aid. i mean it's supposed to slow rusting not stop it, if they're advertising it as a stopper than they're lien SOBS
    Nothing will fix rust , but it will stop it from rusting beyond that point by starving it from oxygen and dampness. 2 things that produce rust in iron

Use Eastwood rust encapsulator It beat por-15 in all tests and is cheaper and user friendly.

I've been using it for almost 12- 15 years now. (since it came out)

if you look at the first pics of my cat, you'll see it under the hood from about 10 years ago. the rust didn't creep or go through it.

the entire front of my car in the working stages is all eastwood encapsulator. if I miss any rust with the blaster, It'll get sealed in forever without worry of spreading.
    you can also bondo on top of it. Its brushable and UV resistant unlike POR-15
    1 quart will do almost the entire under side of a car. 2 quarts would do it twice (2 coats are required for optimal protection)

just remember if the rust has gone through to the inside of the panel it will still rust from the inside.
    Those rocker/quarter rust areas tend to rust inside also. (once the seam sealer gives out from rust)
    If you need pics of what it looks like on the inside of the quarter panel, let me know i'll post some more.
    This way you'll know how to treat the rust without it creeping ever again

check out my link below
    Im always happy to help anybody out
    ***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****

5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner mufflers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
    Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed.
    Join us on Facebook

Grand Island, New York (between Buffalo, Niagara Falls and Ontario, Canada)
    Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Default Rust

I was in the shop/garage today and decided to snap a pic of the rust creep I was talking about in the last post.

here's a pic thats very common to all our cars

Looks pretty much the same as the pic in the first post.
    This one is a little less though.

Here's a pic of the inside of that same panel where the seam comes together.

the rust is starting to spread across the inside of the rocker and the flange of the quarter.

Here's a close up

If you repair the exterior of this seam without repairing the inside, the car will keep rusting under any filler, caulk/seam sealer and paint.

I would suggest repairing this also. and at least use a rust encapsulating type of product to keep the air and moisture from spreading it. if nothing else.

I did a quick repair on that area about 10 years ago. I got lazy and didn't strip any of the interior. only to find out, that part of the car has rusted away to nothing.

It only takes a 1/2 hour and a TORX 50 (if I remember corectly) to take that panel off completely

I hope this post helps everybody that has rust in this area
    ***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****

5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner mufflers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
    Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed.
    Join us on Facebook

Feedback Score

Thank you very much sir, i cant wait to get this car back on the road

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)

Alright!!! Way to go man, gotta say the pics I saw before sure didn't show that stuff! Thing looked pretty damn good to me. All that doesn't even look too bad, for these cars!
    1987 20th Anniversary Cougar, 302 "5.0" GT-40 heads (F3ZE '93 Cobra) and TMoss Ported H.O. intake, H.O. camshaft
    2.5" Duals, no cats, Flowmaster 40s, Richmond 3.73s w/ Trac-Lok, maxed out Baumann shift kit, 3000 RPM Dirty Dog non-lock TC
    Aside from the Mustang crinkle headers, still looks like it's only 150 HP...
    1988 Black XR7 Trick Flow top end, Tremec 3550
    1988 Black XR7 Procharger P600B intercooled, Edelbrock Performer non-RPM heads, GT40 intake AOD, 13 PSI @5000 RPM. 93 octane

Feedback Score

Yeah, it does not show the rot or dent well, my dad and i used to when my grandmother was still alive come over to her place (incidentally where we live now) to take care of it because we knew that if we did not she would not. But i did not expect my 75 year old grandmother to wax her car, im just glad my father and i did.