Page 2 of 337 FirstFirst 1234561252102 ... LastLast

Thread: Project Evolution *** Project Complete **** Wednesday July 9, 2014

Grand Island, New York (between Buffalo, Niagara Falls and Ontario, Canada)
    Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Default Update Pics 12-17-07

***********Today's update********************

Today I spent a couple hrs. working on my baby.
    here's what I did ......

fitted and cut the floor pans I bent up the other day
    you can see the inner rocker repair in the 2nd pic

the white around the patch is from media blasting the rust

Here's another shot of the inner rocker

Bent up one of these this morning

Here's a shot of a dry fit on the car over the existing one.
    I couldn't make the 1/4" step in the rocker so I ran a 1/4" bead down it where the step would be. I don't think anyone will notice.

I'll have to put the quarter on before the rocker. or at the same time.
    the quarter panels are from a TC (thanks to a friend with a last minute idea) so it has to be cut below the body line where the stripe is on my car. the door jamb will be replaced with the red one and spliced in next to the side window.The panel will have to be cut and spliced just behind my back lights because the cougars wrap around farther then the TC's.
    not my favorite thing to do, but you have to use what you can find, seeing birds are easier to find then cougars. esp. 87-88s

the panel will be separated from the well with some of the bracing. some will be cut out of my car to make it easier to replace.
    I'll post pics of that job. should be next on the list.
    this will give you an idea of what's in there

took care of some other rust problems.

here's a shot of the good rocker on the pass. side

and the hole to patch on the pass. side floor

I guess, not a bad day for a couple hrs. I'm juggling my car rebuild with the last of the house remodeling. so it might take a few days longer on the car then i figured.
    I'll finish dry fitting and weld the patches including repair the pass. side floor before the quarters get cut off.

I know someone has to have a question after all that. lol

and yes I have pics of how i made the rocker if anyone wants to know how.---Its pretty easy
    ***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****

5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner mufflers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
    Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed.
    Join us on Facebook

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Impressive bro, keep it up....

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

You my friend have some damn fine body skills. Keep up the good work .
    '88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, Edelbrock 70mm TB, 76mm C&L MAF, 30lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, AOD with 2800 PI converter, 8.8 with 3.73 gears, 31 spline Traction-Lok, 31 spline Moser axles, 04 Cobra front arms, Maximum Motorsports extreme duty rear arms, subframes.
    '11 Focus, '12 Mustang 3.7, '17 Accord EX-L V6

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by thunderjet302 View Post
    You my friend have some damn fine body skills. Keep up the good work .
    x2 im impressed with the metal working skill he has shown

1974 maverick lsx powered turbo car SOLD
    1973 maverick Tijuana Taxi Tribute
    1957 chevy LSX Turbo project (race car)
    Owner of Joe Dirt Fabrication

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)

WOW unbelievable. And I thought I had somethin, shovin sheetmetal under my car and kinda smackin it with a ball peen hammer to ROUGHLY make it fit the surface
    This is a freakin class a restoration we got here.

1987 20th Anniversary Cougar, 302 "5.0" GT-40 heads (F3ZE '93 Cobra) and TMoss Ported H.O. intake, H.O. camshaft
    2.5" Duals, no cats, Flowmaster 40s, Richmond 3.73s w/ Trac-Lok, maxed out Baumann shift kit, 3000 RPM Dirty Dog non-lock TC
    Aside from the Mustang crinkle headers, still looks like it's only 150 HP...

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Default Outer Rocker Panels

here's an easy way to make rocker panels.

I cheated and got sheet metal from Mill Supply because its a good quality and the panels are coated with weld thru primer to keep them from rusting. and they come 5' long which is a problem because of sheet size at some places.no sense in buying a whole sheet for an odd size repair
    the panels are 20ga. generic door bottoms with a pre bent edge and are 10" wide.
    all the work on my car and i'll only use 1 of those. but i got 3 in case i found something bad.
    the floor pan metal was bought at lowes as i was passing by

what you need to do is clamp the piece down to a work bench.
    you don't need a fancy brake to do this
    you can use a 4x4 thats straight.
    clamp it down about an inch back from the edge of the bench.
    then clamp a piece of 3/4" black pipe in front of that kinda like this
    you can see the pipe sitting on the brake the same place the 4x4 would be

all this does is hold your metal down to keep it from moving. Make sure it's tight.
    then clamp 1 board on top and 1 board on the bottom to keep things from warping when it gets bent.
    the full length is a real bear to bend using 20ga. a patch panel will be a lot easier.
    the more clamps the easier, for leverage
    then just wrap the metal around the pipe

I reversed the clamps after i got half way. it moves the leverage from lifting up to pushing forward.

thats how i made it curve
    the bend along the frame and floor panel i did by hand with a pair of hand brakes and flattened it with a hammer.
    you can buy cheap bead rollers at harbor freight for 100 bucks. they have all the rollers and sheet metal cutter wheels. not bad quality for harbor freight.
    if you just make a rocker patch , you probably don't need much fancy stuff to make it match.

this got bent more after the pic got taken

just thought I would spread the knowledge.
    the bottoms of our car panels are all curved as they go under the car. fenders, rockers, and quarters. some are curved more then others

5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner mufflers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
    Join us on Facebook

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Wow
    '88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, Edelbrock 70mm TB, 76mm C&L MAF, 30lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, AOD with 2800 PI converter, 8.8 with 3.73 gears, 31 spline Traction-Lok, 31 spline Moser axles, 04 Cobra front arms, Maximum Motorsports extreme duty rear arms, subframes.
    '11 Focus, '12 Mustang 3.7, '17 Accord EX-L V6

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Default Rocker Replacement

Today after spending the morning taking apart my powerbook, due to lack of it doing anything at all. I got another 2 hrs in.

Started with some grinding & blasting around the patches, so they can be welded.
    dove right into that rocker situation on the drivers side after the blasting. As I was trying to break the welds on the bottom of the panel it fell right off. I guess it was a little too far gone to save.
    So I said the hell with that and pulled out the nibbler.

cut that sucker right off..

and ended up with a lot of rust on the inner rocker.
    so again I said the hell with that.
    this time I took my sawzall and cut the entire bottom of the iner rocker off even with the floor.

ground it down and cut another piece to replace the entire inner rocker

There it is. its easier to cut when you have a straight edge

cut it to size and clamped it.

Now I have something to work with again.
    fitted the new rocker on the car.......not bad

here's a pic of the fender with the rocker for line testing.
    everything seems to be going good in this department

and another view from farther away.
    those whitewalls really stand out on a black fender. lol

and the last pic for today----
    here's my old rocker. ready to be shipped in its new box. lol

Until tomorrow.
    same bat time
    same bat channel
    I think you have to be over 35 to get that one.

Join us on Facebook

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Wow this is amazing! I love threads like this. I hang out a lot on 67-72chevytrucks.com because they have massive threads with metal repair.

Your thread inspires me to work on my 88 Cougar. I was upset as it had a small hole in the frame rail.. and that is it.
    Three 88's

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by daminc View Post
    T
    I think you have to be over 35 to get that one.
    not quite. im only 28.

nice work on the car!
    gumby - beauty may fade, but stupid is forever!