Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rack Bolts Stuck In Collars

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Default Rack Bolts Stuck In Collars

Been trying to get the bolts out of the K frame that secure the rack. They seem to be rusted in the collars they are in. Am I looking at this wrong? Don't the bolts come out and steering rack just basically be able to free fall in my hands? Anyone run in to this before I can sure use some advise. 87 XR7 Thanx all

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

try spinning them in the back with a wench. Watch the oil pan. Other then that a BFH works. (BFH= Big ****ing Hammer)
    RIP 1988 and 1990 Lincoln Mark VII LSC
    I welcomed the dark side and currently am driving a 2000 Dodge Durango SLT plus, with a 5.9, Code named project "Night Runner"
    Shes black on black, fully loaded, with headers, 180 tstat, e fan, straight exhaust into a cherry bomb vortex muffler, full tune up, ported intake and T/B, MSD coil, and round aircleaner.
    Mods to come: Fully rebuilt and heavily modded 46RE, and a richmond rachet locker.
    my $300 beater
    R.I.P Kayleigh Raposa 12/18/90 - 2/24/07

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

If they are rusted into the sleeves you will have to remove the nuts, disconnect the lines and steering shaft, and move the rack ahead until it clears the bolts. It'll be easier if you pull the accessible half of the rack bushings out first. It is a royal pain in the butthole, but it'll come. Don't try whacking it with a hammer, as there is a danger of the hammer glancing off the bolt and hitting the rack, which will destroy it. Oh, and disconnect the tie rod ends as well - it will make it eleven million times easier.

Once the rack is out you can hit the bolts with a hammer until your heart's content, but keep in mind you'll end up destroying the bolts.
    2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Tried all of above. Rack is out of car as well as engine and trans. Looked like beating on bolt is starting to bend K frame.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

The rack is off and the bolts are still in it?!? Your bending the K member?!? Holy crap dude. Invest in some torches or something. I don't know about everyone else, but the bolts holding my rack on came out easily. And the rack wouldn't come off without the bolts being out first.

If you do get them out, put some anti-seize in thar. That should help in the way not so close future.
    Brian

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Bolts still in K frame not rack. Broke rack but ok I planned on replacing. Was wanting to verify before torching that I was not missing something.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Mine were stuck too, I just soaked them with PB Blaster and then I hit it with a torch and impact wrench until they started to spin then I tapped them out. (Impact gun and tapped or hammered at the same time)
    1985 Thunderbird TC
    2.3l .03 over,Ported and polished Head and E6 Manifold, LA3, T3/T4 Hybrid Turbo, Stinger FMIC, Forge BOV, Full 3" Exhaust, Essy Timing Gears & UDP's, BBK 255lph Fuel Pump, Kirban AFPR, Kirban Short Shifter, K&N Cone, Forced4 VC Vent Kit, PA Performance 3g Alternator, Energy Suspension Bushings throughout, CHE LCA's, SFC's

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Any one know if the collars for the rack to the "K" frame are replaceable? And how?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by chas jr View Post
    Any one know if the collars for the rack to the "K" frame are replaceable? And how?
    no, they're not. try hammering a socket extension to drive the bolt out.
    1979 Ford Fairmont

5.0L/4R70W/8.8"/5-lug/3" Exhuast

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Will try but I think I will be looking at a junk yard K frame...135.00.. rusted bolts. That is with them taking it off so all I have to do is clean it, paint it, and install it. The car sat in grass for some time so I think this is what caused it. The frame rail is rotted out also so it just does not suprise me. Have the replacement rails on order to be installed. Trying to really refurb this 87 XR7. I love it and cant wait to get it further along. Working on beating the snow right now