Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stang lights into bird

zpyro Guest

Default Stang lights into bird

I went and looked at my uncle's Mustang tonight, seems there's more to the lights than size. Namely, shape.
    The Tbird headlights are square on the outer side (away from the grille), and kinda tipped on the inside. The stang lights are square all around. So putting just the stang headlights in would conflict with the inner marker, since that part on the bird is angled as well. I don't know how the inner marker would fit the Tbird grille and header panel, although it seems it would take even more modification to make that work as well.

^Mustang Headlight

^Tbird Headlight

I also found that the outside marker light is totally different. On the Tbird, the outer edge of the light is flush with the 1/4 panel, header panel and bumper cover so it makes a straight line all the way down. The stang bumper cover doesn't end at the edge of the corner light; rather, it extends an inch or two farther out. The edge of the light itself is at an angle

^mustang corner light

^Tbird corner light
    obviously, this would require modification to the 1/4 panel of the bird to get the corner lights to work, which could of course be done, but by someone with bodywork experience, something I don't have.
    Looking back at the headlights, I tried to think of some way to get just the headlight in there. I got the idea to take the lense off of the Tbird headlight, and put it on the headlight assembly from the Mustang. There would obviously be some difference in one of the corners (bottom inside), but that can be fixed with a plastic filler piece and some epoxy. If the headlight assembly itself conflicts with the inner marker, it too can be shaved down to comply with the Tbird lense (although, IIRC, the top of the mustang light is the same size as the Tbird light. the narrowest part of the Tbird lense, which is across the top, is about the same size as the stang lense at any point). Tomorrow I will find a stock mustang light and a crappy stock Tbird light and see exactly how different they are.

Feedback Score

Default Re: Stang lights into bird

I got the idea to take the lense off of the Tbird headlight
    Of course, the optics will probably be screwed with a lens swap.
    The location of the bulb, the shape of the reflector, and the distance/angle of the lens are all carefully designed to work together. The Mustang reflector is expecting a flattish lens, while the Bird is a lot more angled, up-down and side-to-side.

I'm not going to flat-out say it won't work (we've had enough of that), so grab a couple of crappy lights and a saw, and go for it. You may be able to find some broken ones the wrecker will give you for free, just to experiment with.

Remember, if nobody ever tried anything but as-built-from-the-factory pieces, there wouldn't be any V8 Turbo Coupes, or "Hot Rods" of any kind.
    Death awaits you all with nasty, big, pointy teeth.

1988 5.0 Bird, mostly stock, partly not, now gone to T-Bird heaven.
    1990 Volvo 740GL. 114 tire-shredding horsies, baby!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

OH man...here come the i told ya so's...lol

my take on this is anything can be fabed up. the turbo coupe header is all fiberglass as you all likely know making it reasonably workable. personally, id like to see 99 up mustang lights across the front of a tbird. i think it wold liik pretty sweet. possibly some crown vic lights. even something just to make some projectors work, although i think it would be "easier" to fap up a whole new "block.

i have NO experiance with any of this type of customizeation but if i were going to try this i do have an idea. working with rc aircraft we used to scratchbuild useing wood, wood plugs, templates, and foam. final product was cut foam, tiny carbon rods (spruce spars for larger wings) and vacume "packed" into fiberglass, kevelar and or carbon fiber depending on the opperation.

there are a few neet ways to cut foam one being useing teplates, wire bows and electricity. all my equipment moved to FL with a friend of mine but i guess i couls make up some new stuff.

without getting into too much discription, id guess you could make up a complete foam plug big enough to replace the entire nose "id reuse the lower tbird bumper" and useing the new light/header assembly cut the plug down to fit. if you could get that far than im sure it cold be done. everything would end up being fiberglass and kevlar, would take a damn lot of hours and patience and unfortunately money. i also realize to ust the mustang lights they would have to also be cut into the front of the fenders i believe.

anyway, i guess this was just a rant. it realy would be cool. its going to pick my brain for awhile now. it realy actually seems do-able with a little dedication. anybody wanna photoshop a mustang or crown vic nose onto a turbo coupe? i wonder what it would look like?
    1988 Thunderbird Sport, Former 4.6 DOHC T56 conversion project.

Rest of the country, Welcome to Massachusettes. Enjoy your stay.

Halfbreed... Mango Orange Y2K Mustang GT
    FRPP complete 2000 Cobra engine swap, T56 n' junk...
    ~John~

Feedback Score

DAMNIT!!! I have been wondering about this ever since I seen a projector conversion kit for an 87 stang, and was oh so curious if it would also work on my 87 cat. Looks like im SOL! Unless the cougs lights are more like the stangs, I've never owned a bird so I dont know...
    Last edited by Snubz-N-Ttown; 02-05-2005 at 08:54 AM.

zpyro Guest

the cougar lights look like they're more square, so they'd have a better chance of fitting, but I don't know the size of them, and the lense is probably at an angle.

if swapping lenses would mess the lights up, I guess I could mess with the corner light some...I have to have them to mess with so I know what can/can't be done. thanks for the support n ideas guys

zpyro Guest

k well I went to the yard and tried to compare lights. the mustang lights are all pretty much flat, like the front end. The tbird comes to a point in the middle (like a beak ) so even if stang lights were to fit in there perfectly, you'd be able to see out to the side, but not straight ahead also because of this, the mustang header panel is pretty much flat, whereas the Tbird is kinda stepped, so the inside part is a few inches more forward than the outside. so it seems it just wasn't meant to be.

and to the "i-told-you-so"s, yeah you're right, but at least I went and tried to see if it would work, rather than just assuming it wouldn't.

now to see if cougars2go will stop ignoring me and tell me where he got his lights

Bird351 Guest

*looks at other thread* Nice to see you all can get into fights without my help.

Didn't someone say awhile back that they were looking into having custom lenses made by some company?

zpyro Guest

that would definitely be the best way. however, as we all know, Tbirds aren't exactly as popular as, say, mustangs, and companies usually are more worried about making money, rather than making a small group of people happy. those CHE upper/lower arms are examples of a company who is not just looking to get rich, as I've read, Chuck has a soft spot for fox tbirds/cougars. if we could find a company with the resources to manufacture a limited run of custom headlights, and, more importantly, the desire to do so, we'd be able to finally get rid of our headlight woes. we could probably even get someone from the boards to design some up and just have the company go by those plans, so all they have to worry about is making them. i'm crossing my fingers, but I'm not holding my breath

Bird351 Guest

I think I mentioned in that last discussion about it that a group buy might be in order for something like that, if someone could be found to make the lenses.

zpyro Guest

I'd definitely be up for it. I'd hope, however, there would be more than one kind of setup tho, like crystal clear (none of the crappy little tube things on the lense), smoke, and projector, maybe more than one kind of projector too. I just don't want to be like everyone else I'd probably still be happy with some clear ones tho, just wishful thinking