Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Paint for dark gray bumper, belt molding and B-pillar

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by EricCoolCats View Post
    My conclusion:

There's an ever-so-slight difference in color between the pieces. Otherwise they are in the same league as far as finish (flat-to-semigloss) and color. These pieces haven't seen sunlight until these photos.

If it's not storming in the next few days, I'll get some close-up outdoor shots of the '84's B-pillars and molding.
    Damn dude, you unwrapped NOS parts. Holy crap. Wow, thanks for digging into this one.
    "lol.. because not too many people care for that style of car"
    Click on paw print \/

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Eric, do you have the paint codes for the mouldings? I work in a Dupont supplied Body Shop, and can look up the codes for you. They should work, Ive looked up colors farther back than 84, and my car was fixed here, and they matched it perfectly.
    "Real cars dont power the front wheels, they lift them"

1984 Mercury Cougar GS 5.0 BBK Equal Length Shorties, BBK O/R X-Pipe, Magnaflow Magnapacks, Mustang GT Stainless Tailpipes, 18" Magnaflow Rolled Edge Tips. Turbo Coupe Hood, Mach 1 Chin Spoiler. 17"x9" Cobra R's, Falken Ziex 255/50s, and 245/45s.
    1984 Ford Thunderbird 3.8L "Drag Queen"
    2009 Dodge Ram 1500 Lone Star Edition 5.7L Hemi 400hp, Mufflex DOD14M Magnaflow retro-fit muffler kit

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Look up, it's in this thread.

Flat Gray (Cougar and T Bird) - 33717
    Dark Gray (Cougar and T Bird) - 33696
    Those are the PPG codes. I don't have DuPont or other brands' codes.

And Karl, it wasn't a problem to open those. The 1983-86 molding I'm saving for the eventual restoration of the '84.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

You dont have the factory codes? I need to read the paint tag, and see what the codes are, I dont know if the PPG codes will work, I mean it doesnt hurt to try, so I'll give it a whirl tomorow.

1984 Mercury Cougar GS 5.0 BBK Equal Length Shorties, BBK O/R X-Pipe, Magnaflow Magnapacks, Mustang GT Stainless Tailpipes, 18" Magnaflow Rolled Edge Tips. Turbo Coupe Hood, Mach 1 Chin Spoiler. 17"x9" Cobra R's, Falken Ziex 255/50s, and 245/45s.
    2009 Dodge Ram 1500 Lone Star Edition 5.7L Hemi 400hp, Mufflex DOD14M Magnaflow retro-fit muffler kit

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

I've never seen a factory code for the molding. It's not on the door tag. I have seen some references to it, in a Thunderbird numbers book, but there's nothing specific listed for our cars. The only time I've ever seen a number listed is in the PPG paint chip book. You have the information that I have...

Doesn't DuPont have a chip system like PPG? They might have some codes listed for trim.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

I know on newer vehicles the tag with all of the codes, for Paint, trym packages, trim colors. I'll ask my boss. Yeah they have a chip system, we have a big 3 ring binder of chips to match. As far as trim being among them, I will have to check when I go back from lunch.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by EricCoolCats View Post
    Yes. It is incredible paint. Unfortunately I have never found a perfect match for 1983-86 grey trim in SEM. However, that's because a) until I got this '84, I really haven't had good used stock trim parts to compare the colors to, and b) SEM paint isn't cheap, so trying out a can @ $10 each isn't very bloody fun. Now I have acquired an NOS B-pillar panel that I can easily compare to the SEM colors. I just have to remember to do that some day. I'm confident that SEM offers something that will work, we just have to find it.
    I just sprayed some SEM 39163 on my front bumper and it is a very close match to my (probably faded but less faded than my bumpers) fender/quarter molding. The store was out of 39173 but should have some in on Tuesday. I'm going to get some of that and try it too. What can I use to fill in the deteriorated/gouged parts of the bumper?
    Click on paw print \/

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Cougars 2 go View Post
    I just sprayed some SEM 39163 on my front bumper and it is a very close match to my (probably faded but less faded than my bumpers) fender/quarter molding. The store was out of 39173 but should have some in on Tuesday. I'm going to get some of that and try it too. What can I use to fill in the deteriorated/gouged parts of the bumper?
    Get this, the SEM "Medium Smoke" is darker than the "Dark Smoke." Is there some paint/color lingo I'm not hip to?

The "Medium Smoke" is 39163 and the "Dark Smoke" is 39173 but the 39163 is darker. Go figure.

So far, I would say the 39163 is the closest match. Eric, I would like to compare my freshly painted parts to your NOS parts at Cat Jam to see how close the color match is.
    Click on paw print \/

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Forgot to ask something.

What color is the metal front tag holder and the metal lower windshield trim supposed to be? To me, it seems that the windshield trim should be flat black to follow the same scheme they did with the reverse curved side window molding. They painted a small portion flat black or satin to match the rubber dew wipe along the driver door. Also, seeing that the windows have that black dot matrix thing going on around their perimeter, I figured black was the logical choice for that part of the front windshield.

What about the tag holder though? Without spending all night digging through all my stuff, it seems that all the factory pictures don't show front tags.

The reason I'm sort of picky with this stuff is because the light sage metallic can be unforgiving with wrong colors. I figured it probably looked close to the best it could from the factory so before I change a color from the factory, I have to know what the original should be to help determine if an alternate is better or not as good.
    Click on paw print \/

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

For the lower windshield trim, I would call it semi-gloss black. I can take a picture of my NOS one if you would like.

I can't help you on the front license plate holder. Since MI doesn't require them, I have never paid attention to them or had a reason to get one.

Brent
    1985 Mercury Cougar XR-7 - 5-speed
    One of 1,246 built