Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 3g install **go directly to post 50 for drawing

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

Default 3g install **go directly to post 50 for drawing

***************EDIT 29sep07- go directly to post #50 and 49 for final draft. Everything prior to post 49 is fyi only.
    Last edited by jcassity; 05-14-2013 at 03:49 PM.

84 Fila Guest

For asking sake, I'd do one of a 83-86, then all the T/c's, then 87-88 cars. Should cover all the bases

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

generally speaking, i dont see why there would be much of a difference ,, i never took a close look at the tc charge but id recon they are duplicates.

what was your issue?

84 Fila Guest

Mine, I forgot to hook up a wire and it's still not charging. That and my battery light is still on.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

The difference is that older cars originally had an external regulator. Still an easy install, though - you just disconnect the external regulator entirely, run the green/red stripe to the 3G's regulator plug as shown in your diagram, and wire the rest as shown.

That diagram looks familiar, BTW - almost looks like one I made up a while ago:

2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

84 Fila Guest

Carm, on the Black with orange, is it from the battery to the alt, or from the black and orange wire already in the car to the battery. Thats where I got lost at. I just don't wana hook it to the wrong place

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

The black wire with orange stripe is already in the car. I dunno about external regulator alternators, but the 2G found in 86-88's has that black wire in a plug on the alt instead of bolted to a stud. There are actually two black/orange wires in that plug, but they are spliced together a few inches back in the harness. Ford decided it would be better to split the current between two terminals instead of one to prevent overheating and possibly a fire. Didn't work. Even with two terminals they're prone to fire.

If you use a large enough wire (6 gauge or better) from the output stud of the alternator to the battery you don't really need to connect that black/orange wire at all (which is why I put "optional" in the diagram). I did it anyway - it's there, and it doesn't take a lot of effort to put a ring terminal on it...

I don't have a pic of the setup in my current car, but here it is in my old '87 Sport (the alternator isn't fully bolted in in the pic - the top bolt is out and the alt is rotated out to where the air cleaner would be to make showing the wiring easier).

You can see the original black/orange wire attached to the stud (approaching it from the bottom) as well as the 6-gauge wire (approaching the stud from the top, with loom on it). You can also see the aluminum filings from where I had to grind a bit off the bracket to fit the physically larger 3G into the bracket.

Note that in this pic I don't have the yellow regulator wire looped directly to the output lug on the alternator, as in the wiring diagram above. That's because, IIRC, I made that diagram up for a 1G (external regulator) to 3G swap. When you've got the 2G alt you can leave the yellow wire as it is and only loop the white/black wire to the "S" terminal on the alternator body
    2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

84 Fila Guest

So just this then, for my 84 atleast...
    I dont have a small yellow wire, but a orande and blue one. and insted of the big red wire you have on there, I used the yellow/white wire from the tarus on there.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Looks good to me

84 Fila Guest

Aight, have it perminatly mounted tomorow after I scrounge up a coil