Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grill lights, clear instead of orange bulbs?

t0x1k Guest

Default Grill lights, clear instead of orange bulbs?

I have 2 Sylvania 9004 bulbs meant for brake lights, bought them thinking a large brake light was out, but it was actually a small one. I don't like the grill lights being orange. I was thinking of spraying the inside with chrome paint and using clearn bulbs so I can get better light projection on the roads.
    Would this be a smart idea? Or will the lights not do much?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Default Re: Grill lights, clear instead of orange bulbs?

well, 9004's are no brake lights, theyre headlight bulbs, and cant be confused

you probably have 1157's, you have no need to spray the inside with chrome paint, seeing as its already reflective, just pop the bulbs out and put the clears in
    It's Gumby's fault.

t0x1k Guest

whoops, thought I had the wrong code, it was the first code that popped into my head.
    Well, I don't think the chrome inside there is all that reflective anymore, the orange glow isn't much of a glow but a orange dot in the middle of a head light case.

But it would work?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

its hard to pull the lights apart, i wouldnt mess with it to be honest, i pried 2 sets of lights apart, took me a few hours to get em apart without breaking them

try sticking the bulbs in, only takes a minute each, just twist the housing off the back, pull it out, swap bulbs, and put it back in
    It's Gumby's fault.

t0x1k Guest

I've already taken the grill lights apart, but when I did they lost that tight seal that the head lights have, so I had to glue them together. The corner and tail lights won't come apart for me.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

hell, most of the time, tail lights just fall apart, both of my cars have that problem

corner lights are hard as hell to get apart
    It's Gumby's fault.

DryGoods Guest

I changed mine to clear as mine were burned out on my 1988 TBird. I noticed 3 wires going to each socket, but is one for the "light out" warning light? Also, would a conversion to use the brighter filament of the 2357, either by modifying the original socket, or buying a new one be too much of a drain on the park lamp circuit?
    Last edited by DryGoods; 01-21-2005 at 08:01 PM. Reason: corrected grammatical error

Feedback Score

It might work, but I wouldnt want to put any more strain on the stock lighting system. If you used a relay in the wiring, you could run a different bulb no problem. I actually converted a set of round LED rear lights from a couple of wrecked LMTV's ( Newer Military Vehicle) to use as Tail lights. Simple hook up, and the LEDs are extreemly bright. If you change to a different set of bulbs, IE change the wiring somewhat, your "Light Out" indicator will be on. I just removed the bulb and all is well. By the way, where are you from in Wisconsin? I'm in Madison.
    88 TC, Lots of Mods.

DryGoods Guest

I'm in Watertown...Thanks for your advice, I'll leave them alone now!

Feedback Score

Talking Re: Grill lights, clear instead of orange bulbs?

Watertown?! hell, I Used to cruise though there every once in a while! I Used to live in Lake Mills. Worked at Mastermold in Johnsons Creek. Small world, huh?
    88 TC, Lots of Mods.