Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: E-Brake cable questions *SOLVED* If you're swapping a TC rear in, READ THIS!

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

I remember grabbing a spring with a hook from a car that keep the cable off the tire. I have to look for that I think I know where it is

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

The '91'-92 parking cables are .75" longer, with a 3" longer sheath. My crude measurements shows the sheath length is as the ragged edge of working, however the extra total length should eliminate linkage modifications.

Will the 3" extra inches of sheath restrict the cable from retracting properly at the caliper?

Early Cable

Late Cable

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Nope. The sheath is longer, but when installed the distance between the sheath holder thingy on the caliper and the point where the end of the cable attaches on the lever will be the same. The sheath length will be taken up at the other (forward) end, which is likely why I didn't have to relocate the cable mounting lugs on my car and why the tire did not touch the cable. It might also be why I had to add some length...

*Edit* I just noticed I had said '90 Mark VII cables in my earlier post. Must've been '91 cables, because they were the same as the "late" cable Jeremy shows
    2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Feedback Score
    42 (100%)

I used the 90 mark cable,but did make them work.I made new holders for the rear mount to change the angle.
    Old Grey Cat to this.88 Cat,5.0 HO, CW mounts,mass air,CI custom cam,afr165's,Tmoss worked cobra intake,BBK shorty's,off road h pipe, magnaflow ex. T-5,spec stage 2 clutch,8.8 373 TC trac loc,che ajustables with bullits on the rear.11" brakes up front. +

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

I wonder what I did? I think I just rerouted the cable sheath, then I may have fed through a different cable - not sure - which I cut to length and terminated using cable stops to get the length correct. I may also have used a different sheath - man, I can't remember it's been so long.
    11.96 @ 118 MPH old 306 KB; 428W coming soon.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Just got my e-brakes installed after 6 months, for some reason I ordered the '90 cables, but I made them work. On the '00 Mustang rear axle/brakes I have, the tines on the caliper end don't go all the way through the bracket, but is so far holding nicely. I Did have to hog out the hole in the bracket about .025" .Ended up cutting the U-Bracket off(Early cable, pic above), and making new couplers out of 5/8" Pipe. Apparently I forgot that there is an adjuster to play with

I also relocated the mounts for the chassis back about 4" to get the housing to curve correctly so as to clear the tire. Pics later!
    Last edited by jrad235; 08-07-2010 at 04:28 PM.

1983 Tbird with '03 Split Port V6 motor swap done! Headers, dual exhaust, 500CFM Edelbrock, 3G upgrade, Electric fan. 3.73 Gears and an FRPP Limited Slip. Five lug complete! 5-Speed conversion complete! Standalone Fuel Injection in progress...

BogusSVO is offline I'll have mine running one day.....
    Feedback Score

I guess I just took the easy way out.... I used the full set of cables from a 87/88 TC
    1985 TC (yet another one) Fully loaded
    has 225k mile still with the factory head gasket

84 Turbo ranger Daily driver ($800.00 Ebay deal)
    volvo FMIC and more getto rigging than the law should allow

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Nothing wrong with that, and I snagged the cables when I got my rear.

But...ya can't get 'em new anymore...so when they seize up...
    '84 and '87 Mustangs
    '98 Explorer

FORD forever!

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

I looked for TC cables for several years in the yards and every single one I went to grab were either rusted or torched from some dingbat that cut the rear out of the car when it was in the JY

Feedback Score

I just put these on our cougar. I want to say thanks for researching this. I used Brakeware #C10132 purchased from Autozone for a 91 Lincoln Mark 7. I did not have to do any cutting or spicing to anything. Cable adjustment nut is on by 1 nut width (no extra thread sticking out to loosen).
    Our web page

02 Explorer XLT 4.0L
    04 F150 FX4 Supercrew 5.4L
    02 Saturn SL1 1.9L
    09 Vstar 950 Tourer