Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Window replacement

Autocat Guest

i can tell you right now from experience in both driver and passenger windows on an 87-88, the way they have the windows in there is retarded. i tried every glue in the world to hold my window on track. i even have a one sided clip. but i finally figured out exactly how to fix the problem perminantly (this is for an archive if someone is dealing with this poblem on an 87-88) glue the clips back onto the window after scuffing the surface of the clip and window with WINDSHIELD ADHIESIVE. its cheap too, and you can pick it off the shelf at any part store, they deffinatly have it in stock if you cant find it on the shelf. btw, b/c of how well the glue is as an adhiesive, you can only use a tube once. after you use it once the entire thing of glue dries hard as a rock. no other type of glue will work, i know, i've tried them all.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

i can tell you right now from experience in both driver and passenger windows on an 87-88, the way they have the windows in there is retarded. i tried every glue in the world to hold my window on track. i even have a one sided clip. but i finally figured out exactly how to fix the problem perminantly (this is for an archive if someone is dealing with this poblem on an 87-88) glue the clips back onto the window after scuffing the surface of the clip and window with WINDSHIELD ADHIESIVE. its cheap too, and you can pick it off the shelf at any part store, they deffinatly have it in stock if you cant find it on the shelf. btw, b/c of how well the glue is as an adhiesive, you can only use a tube once. after you use it once the entire thing of glue dries hard as a rock. no other type of glue will work, i know, i've tried them all.
    I have used 5 minute epoxy with much luck. every tbird i had ended up needing the clips re-attached at one point or another. instead of using 50/50 resin/hardener i used more like 70/30 resin/hardener. kind of keeps it flexible. you have to apply it when its right in the middle of cureing and you have to be quick. the clip and the glass have to be cleaned very well. i drill a couple small holes or one bigger one through the clip to let air bubbles out as well as give the epoxy a place to go and a channel to hold well. anywho...i never had a problem with any of them afterwards.

the window adhesive im sure is the "right" way to do it but this way does work well.
    1988 Thunderbird Sport, Former 4.6 DOHC T56 conversion project.

Rest of the country, Welcome to Massachusettes. Enjoy your stay.

Halfbreed... Mango Orange Y2K Mustang GT
    FRPP complete 2000 Cobra engine swap, T56 n' junk...
    ~John~

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)

Alot of the early ones (at least all mine have been) are riveted instead of bolted. I do replace the rivets with 8mm/5/16" bolts though.

Perhaps it's an 83-84 and 85-86 thing on the bolts vs rivets. Like I said, all mine have been riveted ....but they have all been 83-84 that I have removed/replaced door glass on. I never had to on either of my 85's.
    Long live the 4-eyes! - '83 Tbird Turbo

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

I've had both, Chuck...but it could have been that someone replaced the window before I bought the car ('86 GS, '86 LS) and drilled out the rivets. Either way it's still a more stable system and relatively easier to remove and replace.

Autocat Guest

Quote Originally Posted by shame302 View Post
    I have used 5 minute epoxy with much luck. every tbird i had ended up needing the clips re-attached at one point or another. instead of using 50/50 resin/hardener i used more like 70/30 resin/hardener. kind of keeps it flexible. you have to apply it when its right in the middle of cureing and you have to be quick. the clip and the glass have to be cleaned very well. i drill a couple small holes or one bigger one through the clip to let air bubbles out as well as give the epoxy a place to go and a channel to hold well. anywho...i never had a problem with any of them afterwards.

the window adhesive im sure is the "right" way to do it but this way does work well.
    oh yeh, i forgot about the tip of drilling holes in the clips to give it a "handle" so to speak, did that with mine too.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by EricCoolCats View Post
    I've had both, Chuck...but it could have been that someone replaced the window before I bought the car ('86 GS, '86 LS) and drilled out the rivets. Either way it's still a more stable system and relatively easier to remove and replace.
    ill agree with that part of being stable. I never noticed this on either of my 84's i had. I did a window on my 84 v8 back in 89 and i dont remember encountering bolts or rivits. ive only done three of these windows and two have been on the 87 model so i stand corrected on that for the misleading info

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Oh, no problemo Scott...it was nothing against you or anything. I just saw that he had an '85 and thought that showing the actual pieces of glass out of the car would be a good visual aide. When they're in the car, with the regulator assembly in the way, and all the metal from the door, it's really difficult to get a good idea what the actual glass looks like. I just so happened to have a pair of both sets of glass loose.

I think a lot of the reason why the 1987-88 glass was so different was because of cost savings. I'm sure it cost Ford a lot more money to cut the glass in the 1983-86 style. With the flush glass redesign in '87, it seems logical that they cut a few corners. That's painfully obvious with those plastic clips. And it also kind of sucks that you can't retrofit the older glass, or even make the newer glass like the older glass. But that's Ford for ya LOL.

Feedback Score
    135 (100%)

I used an epoxy stick that is made for marine use.Even dries under water.Mine has held for a very long time,and it's wicked durable.
    '88 Sport--T-5,HURST shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

no bolts equals less fasteners
    less fasteners equals quicker production time

GLUE>>>>>>>>>>> Its on the move,,,
    modern marvels

btwodu Guest

Well I found a Cougar with the glass I need (with the rivets) and it was a b---- getting out. How do I get the rivets out (I have no drill). I was able to get the new glass out by taking the window motor off so I could get the glass wiggled out. That could prove to be a pain on the install. HELP PLEASE!!!