Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Window replacement

Feedback Score
    135 (100%)

When installing,have the window track raised about half way.Also,remove the inside dew wipe and the window fuzzy on the top middle of the door to give plenty of room to pull the window out..You don't have to touch the motor on the running car.If you need to remove the rivets,and you don't have a drill,borrow one,or take the window to a glass shop and let them do it.You risk breaking the window by not using the right tool for the right job.
    '88 Sport--T-5,HURST shifter,TMoss GT-40 intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,70mm t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster 40's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels,Mass Air, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

btwodu Guest

AHA!!!!

I was able to replace the window without removing the bracket at all. It took a long time removing it out of the donor car (until I figured it out) but was maybe a 20 minute job getting it back in.

Feedback Score
    42 (100%)

Now you got the know how!,sometimes you got to do it to understand it.
    Old Grey Cat to this.88 Cat,5.0 HO, CW mounts,mass air,CI custom cam,afr165's,Tmoss worked cobra intake,BBK shorty's,off road h pipe, magnaflow ex. T-5,spec stage 2 clutch,8.8 373 TC trac loc,che ajustables with bullits on the rear.11" brakes up front. +

Feedback Score
    135 (100%)

I pulled mine out of the project car yesterday and fixed it.It was out of the clips.No big deal.i used my epoxy stick made for marine use.It holds tight,dies in two minutes,and it's waterproof,and on my daily driver,it has lasted for a few years.
    '88 Sport--T-5,HURST shifter,TMoss GT-40 intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,70mm t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster 40's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels,Mass Air, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

btwodu Guest

I wish it would have been that easy to fix. I have the bracket with the rivets holding the window in.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by btwodu View Post
    How do I get the rivets out (I have no drill).
    I had to replace a window on my truck, it had the rivets like you describe, and my drill was at my other farm, didn't have time to get it, so i took a small phillips screwdriver, and a hammer, and gave the inner round part of the rivet a few sharp raps until the thing pushed through, then just take a little pry tool (i used my pocket knife..lol) and pry the little cap dealie off, and you're ready to go...
    bolts are so much easier, damnable rivets
    '84 Mustang, work in (sloooooooow) progress...
    '87 Stang notch
    1994 Ford F150 Flareside
    1997 Explorer V8 conversion (in progress)
    1998 Explorer 5.0
    and a couple of tractors. Ford, of course.
    FORD power, for life!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

on the 87 -88 thunderbirds any idea where i can get replacement clips for the glass, local advance and napa doesnt have them.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

We always found the 83-86 cars with rivets in the salvage yards. Used an 1/8" punch and a small hammer to remove the "stem" of the rivet, cordless drill, and the window was out in about 15-20 minutes. I always reinstalled them with the rivets. I can see where the bolts would be easier but I have a Mac Tools hydraulic hand riveter so the larger rivets were not a big deal to reinstall. I never had to remove the wipes as I just popped the large metal/plastic washers off the bottom of the window while it was still in the door.

I would suggest removing the felt in the door frame that the window rolls up into and give that a cleaning. Sometimes small fragments of glass get in there when a window is broken out and it will cut some tint up in a hurry.

Everyone does it a bit different but at least it gets done.

Darren