Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2.3L Turbo Coupe Engine

87fordboy Guest

Default 2.3L Turbo Coupe Engine

I am going in the ways of the TC Motor. Is it a BIG step up for a 3.8?i know 4-cyl can be built real nice unlike the 3.8

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

i have any wiring diagrams you might need in my carstuff folder so holler when you get to that point.

Id carry over the engine and harness with eec from a doner and undress the old 3.8 harness compelely.

87fordboy Guest

OK thanks much bro. but all im trying to figure out is if this swap is worth it?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Well that kinda depends, are you planning on leaving it all stock or what? I have about $1500 in my engine including all the machine work and everything, I'm currently running about 17 psi, and according to my Gtec the car should run mid-high 14's at the track.

Garrett H.
    '94 F250 XLT- 4x4, 5 speed, 7.3 IDI Turbo Diesel, 4" intake, 4" exhaust, 5" turnout stacks, manual hubs, etc.
    '87 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe
    Engine, wheels, tires, etc!
    Exhaust sound clip
    Another clip

87fordboy Guest

no im gonna build it up... what is the most do you think i can get out of that motor

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by 87fordboy View Post
    no im gonna build it up... what is the most do you think i can get out of that motor
    Yeah...whatever. Just how much are you planning on spending? What does "building it up" entail?

I know guys who have gotten 450-500+hp out of them. Are you? Doubtful.

Go do some reading over at turboford.org to hepl educate yourself a bit on the 2.3T
    Long live the 4-eyes! - '83 Tbird Turbo

87fordboy Guest

thanks chuck

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

The power depends on what you are planning. You can build a 2.3 to over 400HP. Just depends on how much you want and how much you are gonna spend. I know my current engine works but is basically stock and it whoops some ass. It even took a 96 stang gt 4.6 in some stop light racing. If does have a t3/4 hybrid but I'm only running 15psi. I've had this 2.3t for many years and I tell you to get a known good motor up and runing before you dump lots of cash into a motor. To many times I've read about people just throwing money at it when they find a problem. Then after they still have the same problem. So go low buck and get it running good first. My current bottom end is a factory 86 with over 130,000mi when I got it. I did put a remaned head I got for cheap though. I did run it with the yard head for over a year. Got tired of the leaking valve seals. Any I say go for it. I love my 2.3t's
    Attached Images Attached Images
    84 Turbo coupe 2.3T Modded with 88 upper and lower intake, 88 injectors, E6 manifold, T3-4 AR.60 turbo, 31X12X3 FMIC, Homemade MBC , Greddy knock off BPV.
    4 eyes see better than 2!
    Da Bird!

FreeBird

87fordboy Guest

im gonna do it these kids are telling me that one of these motors are just plain garbage and i already beat him in his little nissan stanza. i beat him with my 3.8 with a heavy box in the back too and a clogged exhaust which is fixed now but. some of the things i would imagine doing to it first is.... cleaning it up getting it running great. Bored Out, Stroked, Motor rebuild kit, cammed, aftermarket turbo, AEM EMS but like you said its gonna be an assload of cash to get it running good and im willing to spend it

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by 87fordboy View Post
    Bored Out,Stroked,Motor rebuild kit, cammed, aftermarket turbo, AEM EMS
    All you just did was rattle off a list of mostly worthless mods.
    Boring and stroking a 2.3T really gain you nothing but a lighter wallet. "Cammed", "Aftermarket turbo"....really? What ones?

My suggestion...

Do a mostly stock swap with the only mods being exhaust, fuel pump upgrade, an intercooler and slightly higher boost. Figure out how to work with that first.
    Long live the 4-eyes! - '83 Tbird Turbo