Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Conflicting Wiring Diagrams for my 5.0 HO Swap

Feedback Score

Default Conflicting Wiring Diagrams for my 5.0 HO Swap

I've done my swap to a 5.0 HO...but not completely done because I need to find a home for these two wires from the green connector near the EEC (computer). According to this diagram from Fordfuelinjection.com, the two wires I'm referring to are the ones that go to the VSS, both + (G/BK) and - (PK/O). However, when I reference my Haynes Mustang Electrical Diagram, that G/BK (which Haynes describes as BK/W) wire goes to the clutch switch on a 2.3, but it has nothing about where it goes on a 5.0---as if the 5.0 does not need it. The PK/O (which Haynes describes as R) goes to the fuel pump inertia switch.

So which is right?!?! I need to know because I think it's keeping my car from running as it should....This is driving me !!!

Any help is appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by jgonza2; 11-05-2006 at 01:24 AM. Reason: edit photo

Feedback Score

Which EEC are you using??? SD or MAF?? I don't think the speed sensor makes any difference to a speed densety system, but the mass air systems will throw a code if it doesn't receive the pulse...

The '88 Bird harness usually has the speed sensor wires in place to feed the EEC, the earlier ones do not... I had to add them when I did my swap, as I have a '87 harness...

My other rides (that actually do run & drive)

1969 Fairlane Cobra 428CJ 4-Speed << New 49th Birthday Picture

1972 Comet GT - 306 C4

Feedback Score

I've added a couple of pictures of the connector I'm referring to. It is a mass-air mustang harness from between 1988 and 1993, I don't know what year exactly--I think it's an 1989. As you can see in the pics, the connector is just above the EEC connector and holds up to 8 wires. I only have the Check Engine Light, HEGO power and the fuel pump wired in right now. But since I am having idle problems I thought it may be due to these other missing wires.

Anyone have any better wiring diagram?

Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by jgonza2; 11-07-2006 at 12:33 AM.

Feedback Score
    31 (100%)

you shouldnt have idle problems without the vss, i did my mass air h.o swap and drove it for a year before i hooked up the wires. i think coolcats has a wiring diagram for that also
    '97 Ranger 3.0
    88 Tbird Sport
    5.0 SO, stainless shorty headers, true dual exhaust w/ Magnaflow mufflers. KYB struts from '04 Cobra, KYB shocks. 5lug conversion from '00 Mustang, front and rear springs from '04 Cobra, subframe connectors, drilled and slotted rotors, '97 Mustang GT rear sway bar, '03 Mach 1 wheels. Maximum Motorsports caster camber plates, sequential taillights.140 speedo and halo head rests. Started work on new motor...

Feedback Score

Cougarman,
    Where exactly did you hook them in? under the dash? I'm not sure where to do it...

Thanks.

Feedback Score

I just added the female contacts to the 60 pin EEC plug(they already had the wires, were from the old 2.3 harness) and connected the wires from the VSS to them.

But as cougarman says that won't cause you a problem... I ran a '86 Stang I converted to MA and never did connect them, ran fine...

Have you checked for possible codes???

My other rides (that actually do run & drive)

1969 Fairlane Cobra 428CJ 4-Speed << New 49th Birthday Picture

1972 Comet GT - 306 C4

Feedback Score

I have checked for codes, and I get 67 and 95.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by jgonza2 View Post
    I have checked for codes, and I get 67 and 95.
    From Tech. Bulletin #089

Ford service codes 1983-1990

67-OFF --Neutral drive switch is open, or A/C was on during self test.

67-OFF-AXOD--AXOD neutral pressure switch failed closed.

67-MEM--Clutch switch failed. Should give neutral drive gear signal when clutch is depressed.

95-ALL--Fuel pump power circuit has a problem.

OFF=KOEO
    MEM=Continuous codes/KOEO
    ALL= Displayed in all test sequences.

Feedback Score

Hey cougarman, I was curious what caused you to connect those wires after a year...

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

im betting you can find a ford part number tag on the harness somewhere starting with the letter E or F,, now supply the second digit and you know what year it is.

e= 1980's
    f= 1990's

the second digit is the actual ones valure of the year

My engine block is an E0AE so that means its a 1980 block
    my heads are C6OE so they are 1966 heads