Skip to main content
Topic: Strut removal question (Read 1204 times) previous topic - next topic

Strut removal question

I'm trying to remove the old front struts in my stock '84 Thunderbird.  I've removed the nut on top of the strut as well as both spindle bolts but the first strut I'm trying remove seems to be held up by the bushing assembly on top of the strut tower.  Do I need to remove this bushing assembly to be able to remove the strut?  I thought the bushing would loosen up after removing the nut on top of the strut but that's definitely not the case.  Any advice on how to proceed?

Re: Strut removal question

Reply #1
Should just come out.  Be careful that coil spring can kill you, for real.
Mike

Reply #2
Those bushings are hesitant to give up the ghost. Would highly recommend putting one bolt back in the knuckle before giving the strut shaft a good whack from up top. Personally, I'd remove the bushing assembly as well as one big unit, but you're already this far, would suck to have to go backwards to move forwards...
'88 Turbocoupe 5 speed.

Reply #3
Put a jack under the control arm..let things down a bit, and to help keep tension on the spring. Also, double check the springs....they tend to break. If so, no worries. SN95 Mustang springs are pretty much an equal replacement.

Keep us in the loop!
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #5
And by significant how much is the drop? I want to say 1.5” which these cars can use if you drive them in a spirited way.

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp

Reply #6
I want to say that SN95 springs dropped me at least 2, maybe 2.5. I've got a fairly apparent tuck in my wheel wells. In 7 or 8 years I settled to an overall drop of 2.75.

Reply #7
Yeah, mine were somewhere in the neighborhood of roughly inch and a half, 2 iinches. Never did get a measurement or even a before and after pic, but I do have random pics of that car later on and it was definitely not rocking the 4x4 look that these cars were famous for, unmolested..

Yeah, SN95 springs are shorter than stock units, ride quality is about the same, maybe a little stiffer.

Next time (and there will be a next time!) I'll run some '03/4 Bullitt springs or Mach 1 or something similar.

Next time.. ;)

I have a line on a car. We'll leave it at that until I have something more concrete.
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6