Skip to main content
Topic: 88 Cougar LS Modified (Read 536 times) previous topic - next topic

88 Cougar LS Modified

Hey guys,

Testing the waters on selling my 1988 Mercury Cougar LS. Purchased several years ago from someone original owner. Was garage kept and immaculately maintained by original owner. I have been gradually converting it from an old lady car to a muscle car ever since. It was originally a stock 3.8L column shifted car with an open diff. rear and has middle of the road options.

-   Engine swap: Started with a low mile (70k~) 5.0 roller short-block from an 87’ Tbird. Added rebuilt GT40P heads, new Scorpion 1.6 roller rockers, new Melling 5.0HO roller cam, new double roller timing gear set, and a new oil pump.
-   Transmission: Reputably rebuilt Borg Warner World Class T5 with reinforced internals to handle more torque. Synthetic gear oil. SVE short throw shifter with Steeda aluminum arm. Used factory console parts from Turbo Coupe and pedal assembly from Mustang GT to make the install look factory stock.
-   Exhaust: Shorty headers into an H-piped true dual 2.5” aluminized steel setup into two Summit Racing Flowmaster 40 style lers dumping in front of the rear tires.
-   Ignition: Duraspark 2 module/vacuum advance distributor and Blue Streak coil. Custom cut plug wires with ceramic boots.
-   Fuel system: In tank Walbro 255gph unit feeding a Holley return style regulator for carb. Fuel tank was replaced by last owner shortly before I purchased the car.
-   Front Suspension: Turbo Coupe springs installed and lowered car by 1.5” or so. Struts replaced by previous owner with KYB. Moog sway bar bushings.
-   Rear Suspension: Red CHE tubular lower control arms with polyurethane bushings installed. Upper control arm bushings replaced with Moog rubber units. Rear sway bar and new heavy-duty springs from Turbo Coupe installed. Struts replaced by previous owner with KYB.
-   Steering: Rack and pinion from Turbo Coupe and new pump.
-   Front Brakes: Mustang GT spindles and 11” rotors. 70mm piston Lincoln LSC calipers/brake pads/flex lines installed.
-   Rear Brakes: All drum brake components replaced and adjusted.
-   Rear Axle: 3.45:1 limited slip differential rear axle assembly from 86’ Turbo Coupe installed. Outer bearings and seals replaced. New Yukon axles installed. Quad shocks installed. U joints on driveshaft replaced. Also included is a 8.8 rear from a TurboCoupe with 3.55:1 limited slip and disc brake components.
-   Air & Fuel: Reconditioned Holley 4160 vacuum secondary electric choke carb sitting on top of new Edelbrock RPM intake. Quick Fuel adjustable throttle cable bracket. Edelbrock air filter housing.
-   Wheels & Tires: Vision wheel 15x7 front and 15x8 rear wheels. New Cooper Cobra tires 215/70/15 front 255/60/15 back.
-   Cooling: New 3 row aluminum radiator and dual electric fan system.
-   Electrical: New battery, new 3G 120A alternator, PMGR high torque starter, and wire harness tuck behind fender apr0ns. Turbo coupe buttstuffog gauge cluster installed. In cabin fuel pump switch installed.
-   Heating/AC: New expansion tank and lines.
-   Interior: New seat belts. Hurst shifter handle.
-   Exterior: Replaced headlamps. Includes custom fitted car cover.

What it needs:
-   AC system needs to be charged. Compressor is original and clutch is tested and works.
-   No stereo head unit installed. Speakers and factory amplifier still present.
-   Fuel level sender tested outside of tank for resistance and does work, along with level gauge, but gauge doesn’t read while sender is in tank. I suspect the float may not be floating, or there’s a touchy connection at the sender plug that needs to be fixed.
-   Choke on carb could use adjusting.
-   Front control arm bushing should be replaced. I have Moog replacements ready to go.
-   Could use a good exterior buffing and polishing. Paint is fantastic for it’s age but not perfect.
-   Oil pressure gauge occasionally doesn’t read right away but will suddenly start working. The connector on this cluster is not great even from the factory, so I suspect this is the issue.

This car is already an awesome street machine as is, and without a whole lot of work it could be very reliable and possibly daily driven. I recently became a father and don’t have the time to dedicate to this car right now, and probably not for the next few years. I’m contemplating putting the car in long term storage to keep it out of the elements and mess with it again a few years down the road. Alternatively, I’d be open to selling it to someone who can finish it and have the kind of fun I intended to have in it. Building this car has been a passion of mine over the past six years. I changed directions on it many times and have spent a small fortune as a result. I’m aware that something this heavily modified can be hard to put an exact price on, but I’m open to having conversations. Feel free to give me a ring at (240) 678-5016 as I don't check this forum all the time. I'm located in Southern PA, not far from Baltimore.
1988 Mercury Cougar LS
5.0HO + T5 Swap + Suspension/Brake Mods