PDA

View Full Version : Auto tranny acting up... couple questions...

bduly
09-30-2005, 03:56 PM
The symptoms: Coming to a stop from city street speeds (35mph) the tranny waits too long to downshift and does it at the last second when stopping with a clunk.

1. Does the tps have anything to do with this situation.

2. I'd like to change the tranny fluid: Should I just drain and refill, or should I flush and then refill? Which is the better option for an auto trans?

Thanks.

SLEEPER T-BIRD 87
10-02-2005, 01:53 AM
AOD? the t-v cable may be out of adjustment how does it shift while accelerating?
and at what rpm under "normal driving"?

bduly
10-02-2005, 03:30 AM
During acceleration, 1st to 2nd is firm but the rest of the shifts are mushy...or rather smooth and "old man-ish." During normal driving, it shifts around 2400 to 2600rpm. I've been meaning to adjust the t-v cable for the acceleration shifts, so I'll play with it tomorrow and see what happens.

waferman
10-11-2005, 09:21 AM
does your car have a modulator on the tranny? mine gave me fits with poor shifting. its chap to buy and easy to put in....make sure the spring does,nt fall out when installing the new one...i did and made mine worse...oh well...did it again and was on my way...mine is a 86 cat with the 3.8. auto. hope this helps