View Full Version : Tranny swap which flywheel

09-14-2005, 10:58 AM
I have a 5.0 5 speed turbo coupe with a ****ty tranny. I'm pretty sure its something week becuase it has hydrolic clutch. (don't know of any good ford tranny's with a hydrolic clutch) Well I'm swapping in a turbocoupe t5 from one of my parts cars. I'm getting the pedals, bellhousing, and clutch from my other parts car. It has 1978 302 shortblock witha turbocoupe t5 behind it. Should I just use the flywheel that is already on the car recieving the swap? Or use flywheel from the 78' and not have to resurface it? I remember the imbalanceeing different between certain years just not sure on which ones. Thanks for any help. Patrick

09-15-2005, 10:02 PM
wow...nobody even told me to search yet......

09-15-2005, 11:09 PM
use the stock 5.0 clutch,flywheel ,pressure plate and bellhousing
84-95 5.0's used a .050 balance
while previous used a .028 balance

you will need a special pilot bushing but i can't remeber what the part number is :(

09-16-2005, 07:50 AM
The piliot bearing you'l need is for a late '80s Probe...

The ballance will be different, changed in '81-'82(can't remember which, one year got the one piece rear seal, and other switched from 28oz to 50oz imballance).

Your post confused me... You were using a hydraulic clutch on a 5.0???

09-16-2005, 08:35 AM
89 Probe will work. :D

09-16-2005, 11:31 AM
"You were using a hydraulic clutch on a 5.0???" Yup... Thats what it came with. :dunno: Oh, and how important is it to resurface the flywheel?