PDA

View Full Version : Transmission recommendations??

uwwsquirrel
09-08-2005, 05:42 PM
I'm in the process of building up my 88 cat and lets just say I'm not exactly the worlds best expert on drivetrain components. :screwy: Basically I want some of your opinions as to what AOD transmission components would go best with the engine and rear axle setup I have for it.

Here's what I'm workin with: :cool:
New 5.0L/302 345HP FORD RACING PERFORMANCE CRATE ENGINE ASSEMBLY. For info on the motor, go to Ford Racing (http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=7367)
Also I'll Have a TC 8.8 Rear end w/ 3:73 gears.

These high performance transmission places all list a bunch of specs that are all jibberish to me. A lot of it is for extreme racing and drag modifications. Aside From takin it down the Quarter Mile a couple of times, I'm not planning on Racing MY car, I actually wanna just drive it here and there. I read up on transmissions and torque converters at the Coolcats tech info site and that helped a lot. But I'm still a bit uneducated as far as what size torque converter or what brand transmission I should use.
Any suggestions? :dunno:

Thanks,
~Corey

a-rush-for-more
09-08-2005, 06:33 PM
if youre going to have a street rod the i would get a 10 inch converter with about 2900-3000 stall and have your aod rebuilt with thinner clutches and commercial friction discs if you need part number and places to find the rebuild parts let me know

uwwsquirrel
09-08-2005, 07:37 PM
Well I'm not exactly looking for street rod performance cause I won't really be racing it. I just want something that'll throw me back into the seat a bit and provide that get up & go when I need it to. Basically I want something thats better than stock - but not all out racing. Just something in the middle. :D

Any tips?

30thtbird
09-08-2005, 08:00 PM
all though i don't own one,a lentech would be my choice.look'em up on the web.a little pricey,but there are many options and upgrades.when someone can build an aod that will hold up to 600 plus horses,they gotta be doing somethimg right.

uwwsquirrel
09-08-2005, 09:06 PM
Well it seems they have a few good choices, I'll definately keep them in mind. Thanks a lot. :D

SirChirpAlot
09-09-2005, 12:19 PM
Well lentech are good but bloody over priced.
Transwere in Toronto makes good AODs and there are other places as well that make good ones.

Alot depends on the way u drive too. I use to run AOD in my cougar for a few years i broke that poor tranny atleast 7 times. I had all good stuff inside but when u have heavy car slicks and spray bad things tend to happen. I broke the lentech hardend imput shaft and tore apart a art cater convter as well.

But thats all part of the game. My next build up will be with a C6 in my TC my 85T has a G force T5 and no probs what so ever.

SLEEPER T-BIRD 87
09-10-2005, 02:23 PM
i would suggest a 5 speed swap for a little more reliabilty and still have the overdrive gear.

a c-4 would also be a good swap

http://www.performanceautomatic.com/
these guys have great trans at the price and stand behind there warranty

uwwsquirrel
09-15-2005, 10:36 AM
Thanks for the suggestions everyone, I'll definately look into some of these when it comes time to purchase one.

88SptCoupe
09-17-2005, 06:11 PM
im looking to getting mine rebuilt over winter. i have a aod, i want a 1500 rpm stall and i would like it to hold up to 300-350hp. but i have no clue how much i should be looking at spending. can someone help.

now also to rebuild one yourself...may try dont know. but isnt it just take everything out and replace it or is there more to it then that where i shouldnt even try it myself.