PDA

View Full Version : metal to metal sound...

sacto68
09-05-2005, 11:03 PM
on my '84 cougar i'm getting a weird metal ticking moise as I take off. the noise goes with the rpm's pretty much. I also notice that there is a not so loud noice as I'm climbing up a hit. I just did a tune up on in & it doesn't sound like its misfiring. Maybe u-joints? I've crawled under the car and everything looks the way it should. I'm not sure what to do about this. Any ideas?

88turbo
09-05-2005, 11:52 PM
change your u-joints to start out with. not knowing how many miles they have on them or if they are original. and if it doesnt go away try to listen to where the sound is coming from. does it click when you move the shifter from drive to reverse with the engine running?

bondocougar
09-06-2005, 08:03 PM
Heat shields on the catalytic converters also come loose and could cause some metal-to-metal sounds, but usually not so RPM dependant.

Red_LX
09-06-2005, 10:18 PM
On my Mustang the drum brakes used to always make a ticking noise while I drove.

sacto68
09-15-2005, 01:33 PM
thanks for the replies. i found out it was the rear u-joint. when I took it out two of the caps were broken around the top. Along with one of the caps pins were completly ground up into a metal powder. kinda scary.