PDA

View Full Version : Another LSC came home (now with pix)

Bird351
06-24-2005, 07:08 PM
***NOTE*** Requesting a relocation to User Rides now that I have pics in here.

My how things change in 24 hours.

Late late last night I found an ad on our local newspaper's online site.. 89 Mark VII, "needs new pain" (sic) "runs new" $1250. OK, well, we're looking for a second running car, decided to go look at it today.

It's a silver LSC w/ dark blue leather interior.. 90,491 miles on it after my test drive. Runs smooth, A/C works, all the electrical stuff except the passenger power window and the radio (could just be a fuse, didn't check) works. Front seats have some cracks in the leather but are pretty much intact. Back seat is pristine. Carpet's good. Has had a small fender-bender.. looks like someone wrinkled just the top front of one fender and busted up the nose.. doesn't show any wrinkles inside the engine compartment, though.. so I think it was all cosmetic. (it looks like something you'd get if you smacked into the bar hanging down from a semi trailer's ass end at 5 mph or less where the bumpers couldn't take the hit) Has a bit of spot rust around the trunk and back window, but nothing worse than any car I have here now. Has four brand new tires, and all four LSC wheels are intact and clean. Decided to roll over on the price since the KBB retail on it was much higher, (like $2650 w/ that mileage) and even the private party price was right there at 1200-1500. (it's at a small dealer) I put $200 down on it a couple hours ago.

How am I doing it, with no source of income? Well, I'm "selling" my '86 to my aunt, who needs transportation for work. She's buying me the LSC, I'm giving her the T-bird, and I'll buy it back from her as I scrounge up the money over the next few months. She'll look for a more permanent mode of transportation during that time. I'm also forced to sell one or both of my project cars. (so if you desire pretty much rust-free bodies and can arrange transportation, let me know.. I'll post more details later as I get all this sorted out)

Why not just let her buy the LSC? For one, with my bad back, the LSC's more supportive seats are more comfortable for me. For another, I believe it's longer than the T-birds, and even more of a pig to try and park and maneuver. Everyone else in the house already knows the limitations of trying to park these beasts.. my fiance scratched up the bumper strip on that car on a trip to the convenience store. (good thing I had planned on re-painting it anyway)

What about my project threads? Well, those are still on.. 'cause even if I don't get this car back for some reason, I'll still find a "4-eyed Bird" to do it to at some point. Don't worry, I won't trash a V8 Bird for it.. probably won't, anyway. :p

I'll have pics soon.

Oh yeah, for Ponyman460 or whomever I was discussing buying their car from.. we're still interested in it at some point, for a car for my fiance to go to work in.. but it may not happen immediately. I have to get one or both of these other cars out of here first. I'll repeat it in Email and/or the sale thread.

Bird351
06-25-2005, 03:16 PM
OK, it's home.. pics later when it's not threatening to rain. Oh yeah, and it's not silver.. it's a very very pale blue. Trying to nail the exact color name by paint code.

Bird351
06-25-2005, 05:49 PM
Let the crappy pics (from a crappy camera) begin!

Bird351
06-25-2005, 05:50 PM
This color is growing on me fast.. but what is it with me and blue cars with blue interiors?! :wtf:

Bird351
06-25-2005, 05:51 PM
The mileage was a big sell on this car. It only has like 10-15k more miles as my mother's '98 ZX2.. and just over half the mileage of either T-bird.

Bird351
06-25-2005, 05:52 PM
My next act will be to go outside and polish up those headlights. Then I have to look into the instrument cluster ground wire fix, and see if the dead radio and passenger window are just minor fixes.

5.0willgo
06-25-2005, 06:07 PM
That Mark isn't bad at all and blue interiors are the best.
Good luck with it.

20th anny 5.o
06-25-2005, 08:14 PM
Nice lookin LSC man i have a dent in my quarter panel quite like the one pictured above but the dent i have isent as agressive as that one, and my seats are cracking ike that also.

but nice LSC

Bird351
06-25-2005, 09:02 PM
Went over to a friend's house and he buffed up the headlights for me, since I don't have a polishing pad for my drill like he does. I tried 'em myself with wet-sanding, but didn't get too far. Looks like someone drilled a drain hole in the driver's side headlight, and the reflector is going to hell. I may switch 'em from the other LSC.. may also do that painted non-reflecting surface trick one of these days.

It needs a tune up.. has a random infrequent miss when idling.. and I may need to bump the idle speed up a little bit because it stalled on me once or twice in my friend's driveway. I pulled the codes on it and got code 41, which said something about a bad or missing HEGO sensor. When my fiance was following me home from the dealer she said she could see a tiny amount of dark smoke when I romped on it. Needs an oil change. Fuses are all apparently good, so the dead radio really doesn't thrill me.. or does the dead passenger window. I already did the re-ground trick for the instrument cluster, but it needs a few new bulbs. Very dim at full illumination.

I've tested everything I could think to test in one abbreviated afternoon. Lights are good, wipers work, washers work, all interior lights except the door lights work, trunk and fuel door poppers work, power trunk pulldown works, keyless entry works, (pulled the code off the box) tripminder buttons all work, everything on the power seats works, the power mirror switch needs replacing, (only two directions work, and they're the same directions for both mirrors) and whatever I said above. Still need to test the suspension (I get a check suspension light and it rides pretty stiff, but it pumps up alright) and the ABS. (works, but I had a check antilock light for awhile.. went away when I did the ground-wire fix)

Can't think of anything else for now.

Bird351
06-25-2005, 09:10 PM
I will say one thing for it: I worked the pedal on it like I worked the pedal on my 120-horse V6 T-bird, (I'm not a speed demon, but I do pass half throttle quite a bit. I like to get up to speed quickly without breaking loose at lights, so I often roll slowly off the stoplight and smoothly press it to about 2/3rd-3/4th throttle) and that LSC had me laughing like an idiot.. and hitting 50-55 before I knew it. My fiance thought I was showing off until I told her I was driving it the exact same way as the T-bird.

DerikWayne
06-26-2005, 05:29 AM
NICE!!! Those cars say nothing but "class and luxury."

cougarman
06-26-2005, 07:57 AM
Nice car!! :D

Haystack
06-26-2005, 08:14 AM
bad. Looks like a good buy. One of these days I am going to get one of those seats in one of my cats.

TurboCoupe50
06-26-2005, 09:29 AM
Glad to hear you finally got a nice one, congrats.....

Bird351
06-26-2005, 10:14 AM
bad. Looks like a good buy. One of these days I am going to get one of those seats in one of my cats.

If I part out this '88 LSC, I'll have a decent set of tan leather seats available.. and I'm pretty sure all the power stuff works on them. There's a few cracks on those seats, but not as bad as the seats on this '89. (which really aren't all that bad.. you can't tell from sitting on them that there's some damage)

I don't know if the LSC seats have any different wiring or whatever. The controls for the seats are built into the door panels, in the shape of little seats. (the "back" of the seat controls recline, and the "bottom" of the seat controls forward-back, front up-down, back up-down.. the bolster and lumbar controls are on the side of the actual seat)

They're great seats.. I need 'em with my bad back. If I had another set of blue LSC seats and a full T-bird console, I'd consider putting them in my '86 when I get it back. Not that I want a full console in it.. but I would guess I'd need to rig something up when losing the on-seat consolette it has now.

Bird351
06-26-2005, 10:20 AM
As for everyone else, thanks for all the positive feedback. My '86 has always been in decent shape, but this thing feels like it's on a whole other level from that car. It's definitely a luxury car, but it MOVES when I want it to. I hope to get that '86 to a level of its own someday.. but for now, the LSC is king of the yard here. :evilgrin:

Haystack
06-26-2005, 12:19 PM
yeah I dunno about seats from flordia to utah.... It would cost more then getting new seats covered in leather. Nice looking car though. "Buff" out that dent and it would be almost mint.

Bird351
06-26-2005, 04:45 PM
Heh.. well, I found out why it rides so stiff. Someone deleted the air suspension down at the bags and put new springs in. I don't think it was the original owner.. might've been a mechanic working on it either before the auction to the dealer, or for the dealer.

Battery died, too.. but I'm 99.999999% sure that was my fault. Had the doors and trunk and hood open for quite some time while we worked on it today.

turbo83coupe
06-26-2005, 07:32 PM
hey that looks real nice! There has been one sitting at a lot near me that is mint condition from what I can tell from the road, but nobody has bought it and it is always in the same place. They have the bags down and its real sweet looking. You mentioned something about the bag deletion... my paster has a 90? Towncar that had that done to it because the rear bags went bad. Perhaps it could be common? But nice ride!

87thunderbirdBlackJack
06-26-2005, 07:52 PM
yeah man, whast wrong with the 88 LSC? and if you get crazy........and you want the airbag ride and the 88 still has em ;) swap em out ...... :D nice LSC man, im liking the blue leather.......

V8Demon
06-26-2005, 08:03 PM
It's official......You're a car nut. 4 cars at once is a good sign! Looks good bro!

Bird351
06-26-2005, 09:03 PM
Too much little stuff wrong with the '88. Water pump, suspension relay, EATC plugs are disintegrating off the wires, both windows need re-mounting and probably new motors, needs a new lower back seat, new exhaust past the H-pipe, four new tires and one replacement LSC wheel, etc. (probably forgetting a few things) By the time I got everything done on that, I'd have probably spent close to what we spent on the '89.

I may yet fix up the '88, if finances improve. I may strip some things off of it and try to sell it to another LSC enthusiast because it's pretty much devoid of any significant rust. I really want to avoid just stripping and junking it, though.. because the body is in pretty damn good condition.

Speaking of which.. turns out this '89 was bought right here in Charlotte County.. so odds are very good that it's been a southern car all its life. Underbody looked VERY clean when I was under it today pulling out the air intake resonator. I know I can get the history of the car from Ford.. but I'm thinking of going down to the Lincoln/Mercury dealer it came from and asking them if they can tell me anything about its history.. like something about the person/people who owned it, etc. (I mean like age and what not.. I don't really need to know much more than that)

For now, though.. since this '89 doesn't have the air bags in it anymore, I'm going to swipe the relays and put them in the '88 to test that suspension. Then we'll drop the gas tank out of that and put that in the '88 T-bird to get that going. We'll see what happens from there. I need to get rid of at least one of these non-running (but pretty much rust-free) cars.

Bird351
06-26-2005, 09:15 PM
A few other little details while my mind's on it:

I had some spark knock problems today.. but I cleaned the EVR filter (http://www.lincolnsonline.com/article23.html) and it has mostly (like 2/3rds or better) vanished. I am going to try swapping EGR valves from the other car tomorrow.. and if it's still doing it, I'll just try a little higher octane gas next time I fill up. If that doesn't do it, well shit.

Tried to run the self-tests on the EATC today as detailed on LincolnsOnline's tech section, and ever since I did that the EATC is alternating between heat and A/C, whether it's on Auto or set to A/C.

Radio's dead.. as was the CD player in the other LSC. The plug gets power just fine.

Power window switches are both fine, but the passenger power window is still dead. Unfortunately, I *think* both power windows are dead on the other LSC.. but in that case, it could very well be just a fuse.

A/C needs a recharge pretty badly.. and it's still R12. Pisser. This is one reason I regret getting this car right now, because I just had the A/C recharged on the T-bird.. and it blows ice cold compared to this.

I wish I knew more about the springs they put on this car in place of the air bags.. because this thing rides like I imagine a Mustang GT rides.. stiff.

Haystack
06-26-2005, 10:47 PM
could always put in your v-6 springs and drop it down with a smoother ride. Might drop it down too much because of the heavier car. The springs should be pretty standard.

Bird351
06-26-2005, 10:53 PM
I don't want it any lower than it is. Hell, I wouldn't even mind if it rode a bit higher than it does. With two people in the household having bad backs, getting in and out of the car isn't always pleasant at that height. I crank the seat up pretty high and it's still a little uncomfortable.

I'd like to get air suspension back in it, but try to rig it to hit max height when getting in and out.

slamedcat
06-27-2005, 11:37 AM
I am so damn jelous right now. That looks exactly like my 91 that was taken from me by a full size chevy. :(
I want another one.

BTW: Nice find

oldraven
06-27-2005, 12:12 PM
Looks good, man. I keep seeing this mint black LSC on my commute. I'm so not a lincoln guy, but I still get whiplash every time it drives by.

Damn, I've got to get me some LSC door skins.

pro-five-oh
06-27-2005, 01:01 PM
Very, very nice!

You got a POS spring conversion, those kits are hit or miss when it comes to quality, labor and the resulting ride. Well usually a miss, I hear more complaints and home made fixes for these kits than I do praise over at Lincolnsonline.

If financially possible I'd put air suspension back in it. Maybe use the other car for parts.

Bird351
06-27-2005, 02:42 PM
Looks like a 3G swap is in my future. Killed a second battery today. Going to see if I can return/exchange the battery that came with it, since there's a Wal-Mart receipt in the glovebox, dated 12/12/04 or something like that.

Might also rip the alt & voltage reg. off the '88 LSC and take it down to AutoHole and ask them to test it for me.

cougarman
06-27-2005, 03:22 PM
I don't want it any lower than it is. Hell, I wouldn't even mind if it rode a bit higher than it does. With two people in the household having bad backs, getting in and out of the car isn't always pleasant at that height. I crank the seat up pretty high and it's still a little uncomfortable.

I'd like to get air suspension back in it, but try to rig it to hit max height when getting in and out.
You can adjust the height sensors, if it still had air ride. We adjusted the fronts to sit down a little, can't see why it wouldn't work in reverse. Of course you would need to change back to the bags. :D

Bird351
06-27-2005, 03:26 PM
I am so damn jelous right now. That looks exactly like my 91 that was taken from me by a full size chevy. :(
I want another one.

BTW: Nice find

There's an '88 sitting out front that *might* be available soon, if only you could transport it that far. :p I'm hesitant to just part it out and junk it, because the body's good and I know how you northerners lust after rust-free car bodies. :p But I don't know how else to get back the $700 we shelled out for it. So it may get repaired yet. (and da woman would be thrilled to have a Mark of her own)

Bird351
06-27-2005, 03:29 PM
You can adjust the height sensors, if it still had air ride. We adjusted the fronts to sit down a little, can't see why it wouldn't work in reverse. Of course you would need to change back to the bags. :D

I will change back to air suspension at some point, even if I have to get new bags and all that sometime in the future. I know it still has a pump and working relays, because it still tries to pump up when you turn the key on. Anyway, I really dislike the ride I get from these springs.. it's not how I expect a Lincoln to ride, even if it is a Luxury Sport Coupe. It'll do for now.. and maybe those springs will get put into the '86 project or something.. but it has to go sooner or later.

Funky Cricket
06-27-2005, 03:36 PM
nice. I do dig the blue interiors. one thing i loved about my bird.

Bird351
06-28-2005, 10:56 PM
I really need to pick up a cheap sunshade.. because the dash of this thing is in too good of shape to let it get sun exposed now. Fortunately it has been mostly rainy the past few days, so it's not getting abused much. I also need to go to an old family friend and get a good tint job.. hopefully something that blocks UV well but doesn't darken too much.. because it's a bitch trying to see out of some of the darker tint we've had in the past.

Also need to learn to start caring for this leather.. 'cause I've never had a daily driver w/ leather seats before.. and especially with that back seat being so pristine, I don't wanna screw it up.

Bird351
06-29-2005, 02:16 PM
As an interesting twist to this, someone stole my license plate last night. Just got done reporting it and picking up a replacement.

Bird351
07-01-2005, 01:41 PM
Couple fresh pics.. one taken after the headlights were polished up and the front grille was swapped out for a proper '88+ grille, and another that shows the damage to the front seat. I can't feel it when I'm sitting there, so I probably won't do much about it for now.

Oh yeah.. the day I got my tag stolen didn't go all bad. After I got it replaced, I took the car to Wally-World and got a brand new battery for free. Old battery was shot completely.. read something like 8-9v.. but they had left me a Wal-Mart battery receipt in the glove box, and it was dated 12/04/04 or something like that.. so I took it in and they exchanged it for one of their Maxx batteries at no charge. Didn't even ask to see the old battery, just asked me to leave it out by their recycling room. Huzzah.

cougarcragar
07-01-2005, 02:52 PM
Lookin' good.

slamedcat
07-01-2005, 02:54 PM
but they had left me a Wal-Mart battery receipt in the glove box, and it was dated 12/04/04 or something like that.. so I took it in and they exchanged it for one of their Maxx batteries at no charge. Didn't even ask to see the old battery, just asked me to leave it out by their recycling room. Huzzah.

You have got to love wal-mart. They will take anyhting back even if it wasn't bought from there.

I but I could return my kid if I argued long enough with them.
I say this because I work for them for about 4 years in the tire shop. The shit people would do to tires and return them.

Bird351
07-01-2005, 03:02 PM
That first pic in my last post just shows how awful my camera is. It was bright sunlight out there and it made things look overcast and depressing. (that was most of the last month, I was glad to have some sun today to go out and get some stuff done)

Yeah, I was a little hesitant to bring that battery back. Even with a receipt, the battery has almost NO markings on it at all. (just a little recycling sticker on the side) If it were any place other than Wally-World, they'd have probably questioned it. The person at Wal-Mart didn't even wanna look at it.

Haystack
07-01-2005, 09:33 PM
One of my freinds brought jeans back that she had been wearing for 4 years. They took them back and gave her only 75% what the receipt said because they were torn and had holes in them.

Bob1149
07-03-2005, 06:23 AM
If you find parts for that let me know. I have an 87 and it needs door panels bad. Gotta love the Marks,

Bird351
07-05-2005, 06:28 PM
I swear I'm cursed with this car already. Found a nail in the sidewall of one of my look-to-be-brand-new tires, had to have it replaced for just under $100 including installation. (BFG 225/60HR16) Wish they had left a receipt for those puppies.. might've spared us a trip out tonight.

Bird351
07-06-2005, 07:58 PM
Another amusing tidbit pops up tonight: I found out that whomever changed the PCV valve and the crankcase breather neglected to put a PCV grommet back in the hole, and just left the PCV valve sitting on top of the filter, open to the air.

Would a situation like this explain my problems with spark knock even when running 89 octane? It also still hesitates a little bit when I step on it.. but it seems to be less now.

Gave it four quarts of MaxLife 10w40 "dino" and one quart of MaxLife 10w30 synthetic. I was in the middle of changing spark plugs out (the old ones are a tad on the white side.. and also appear to be the wrong plug.. thread is twice as long on them.. I'll have to pull part numbers on them when I'm done cleaning up for the night) when I decided the valve covers were still too hot for me to continue.. even though I could touch the exhaust manifolds without discomfort. Anyway, got four of those done when I decided to switch to doing the breather filter/PCV valve switch. Still have four more to do, plus a new fuel filter. Going to swipe the new cap and rotor I put on the '88 T-bird, and maybe also the coil, and I should be pretty much done tuning it up. (already put a new air filter in it) Going to wait to get new plug wires until I can afford some FMS wires.

What a day. And to think, on top of that, we're already being menaced by a hurricane.. and it's only the beginning of July

TurboCoupe50
07-07-2005, 02:52 AM
Another amusing tidbit pops up tonight: I found out that whomever changed the PCV valve and the crankcase breather neglected to put a PCV grommet back in the hole, and just left the PCV valve sitting on top of the filter, open to the air.

Would a situation like this explain my problems with spark knock even when running 89 octane? It also still hesitates a little bit when I step on it.. but it seems to be less now.

I was in the middle of changing spark plugs out (the old ones are a tad on the white side.. and also appear to be the wrong plug.. thread is twice as long on them.. I'll have to pull part numbers on them when I'm done cleaning up for the night)

The SO and '86 HO(also the '87 LSC HOs) use the long plugs, because of the E6 heads. Look at he depth of the threads in the heads, I would think the long plugs would hit the pistons..

Hesitation and spark nock, check the fuel filter... I know you don't want to hear this but..... the F/P pump could be weak...

Bird351
07-07-2005, 03:44 PM
It's not knocking anymore.. and it hesitated/surged at around 3000 RPM earlier, (it would slowly wind up and then blast off at 3k) but it stopped doing that now that I've changed the fuel filter. Also got two more plugs changed.. all but the back two are done now. Swapped over the brand new cap and rotor.. there was not only a lot of wear on the contacts, but a little bit of dried-oily crud built up around the contacts and on the rotor contact. (notable only since I haven't seen it on any of the other cap swaps I've done)

It looks like they only sank the plugs into the heads about as much as the correct plugs would go into 'em. Threads are clean above that line.

Still going to swap for a new coil I have here, even though the current coil contact isn't all eaten up this time around.. but after that, it looks like the car work will be coming to a halt while we prepare for this damn hurricane. Getting too close for comfort. Gotta give the generator a tune-up and make sure it runs, and all that other crap.