PDA

View Full Version : Adjusting shift linkage on a 1986 Cougar 5.0 /AOD transmission.

86cougar
11-10-2012, 07:50 PM
I want to first make it clear I am not a transmission guy. I had to disconnect my shift linkage bracket from the frame of my car more than once due to jacking the engine up. I started my car up and now my transmission is out of adjustment. I tried adjusting the TV cable from limit to the other and it seamed to make some difference but not enough. My manual simply says to jack the car up, loosen the adjustment nut on the shift linkage, put the transmission rod into into the second detent position from the full clockwise position. Then put the shifter in "Drive" or "Overdrive". So, once I do that, is the TV cable a fine adjustment or what? Should I have the TV cable adjusted in the middle (half way) before I adjust my shift linkage? Also, is this the way you guys do it?? Thanks!

daminc
11-10-2012, 09:25 PM
tv cable adjustment
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6L3hNzxdiYw

I would adjust the gear linkage first, then the tv cable

86cougar
11-11-2012, 08:44 AM
daminc,
Perfect! Looks like everything stays neutral. I hope I'm understanding my manual about adjusting the shift linkage, one detent from full clockwise and put the shifter in the second from the last "Drive" position to match? One question, before my car would give me problems on the freeway when I was trying to pass. When I let off the accelerator, the transmission wouldn't always want to down shift into overdrive. You think this adjustment might correct that issue?