PDA

View Full Version : Transmission cooler lines

kevbey
06-06-2012, 07:41 PM
My '87 - 3.8 has a cooler line that decided to crack and start leaking near the front engine pulley.

I'm going to replace both lines, but the fittings going into the trans don't want to break loose. Is it okay to hit the fittings with some PB Blaster, and if so will it even help? I'm worried about leaning on the fittings too hard and having the threaded portion break off in the case.

sarjxxx
06-06-2012, 08:17 PM
I fixed a cut line with 3/8" flexible fuel hose, (I believe that was the diameter, check to make sure first), and a tiny hose clamp on either end. Has never leaked.

kevbey
06-07-2012, 01:08 PM
Both of my lines are coated in rust, and the leak appears to be a crack, so I'd like to just replace both of them. Is it possible (or a good idea) to change the fittings on the trans and radiator and run neoprene lines rather than hard lines?

thunderjet302
06-07-2012, 03:09 PM
You could replace the lines with rubber transmission line and fittings. Just make sure you use rubber transmission line as it's designed to not react with transmission fluid.

Or you could probably use these since you have an AOD:
http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/item/LRS-MUT1021SC/84-93-Mustang-Stainless-Automatic-Transmission-Cooler-Lines

kevbey
06-08-2012, 02:59 PM
Totally incorrect. Trans mission line has a higher burst pressure rating and it is designed for ATF. Two totally different animals. Never use fuel line for hydraulics. And most likely his lines are 5/16. Just saying!!

Too bad the kid at AutoZone didn't know the difference. I stopped in yesterday and asked specifically for 5/16" "transmission line". Get home, take the stuff out of the bag, and see "fuel" printed on the line. I should have checked it before I left, but my cranky grandkids thought otherwise.

kevbey
06-08-2012, 03:07 PM
You could replace the lines with rubber transmission line and fittings. Just make sure you use rubber transmission line as it's designed to not react with transmission fluid.

Or you could probably use these since you have an AOD:
http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/item/LRS-MUT1021SC/84-93-Mustang-Stainless-Automatic-Transmission-Cooler-Lines

I'm liking the LMR lines. I'm going to cut out the bad part to get it back on the road, and order the LMR part. Thanks for the link!

ramair351
06-23-2012, 10:45 PM
my 88 TC has quick disconnect fittings at the a4ld trans that are leaking, and they are discontinued from ford, any ideas?

hypostang
06-23-2012, 10:54 PM
my 88 TC has quick disconnect fittings at the a4ld trans that are leaking, and they are discontinued from ford, any ideas?

motormite/ dorman HELP line ..... at any autozone/advance/ oreilly ..etc

Part number 800-608 or 800-609

Haystack
06-23-2012, 11:42 PM
X2, I found some as a dorman part number for my 87-5.0 .

ramair351
06-28-2012, 10:35 PM
the dorman 800-608 are not the same as the ones on a 88 tc auto. the thread size is much larger on the oem fittings. however i took the o-ring and clip out of the new parts and installed them in the old fittings. it seemed to work.
the 800-609 fittings are not a quick disconnect, but accept a threaded line.

Markinkc
03-07-2013, 10:08 PM
My trans cooler lines are leaking at the trans. fitting. Can not get it to stop leaking .What are my options ? I can get another fitting for the bottom line,but can I use rubber tranny hose and clamp to join it to the rest of the line?... Mark in KC
1988 Cougar/3.8 auto.

sarjxxx
03-08-2013, 12:30 AM
My trans cooler lines are leaking at the trans. fitting. Can not get it to stop leaking .What are my options ? I can get another fitting for the bottom line,but can I use rubber tranny hose and clamp to join it to the rest of the line?... Mark in KC
1988 Cougar/3.8 auto.

Worked for me. I had a similar situation a few years ago and cut the line in two to replace the fitting. I used trans line and two very tiny hose clamps to splice it back together, and I haven't had a problem in 3 years.

Nice to see another 88/3.8 member on here! :)

QUICKSHIFT
03-08-2013, 09:26 AM
Excellent post Tom. The only thing I would add is to make sure it's a 6 point socket.......less chance of rounding it off.....you only get one chance.

50RACER
03-08-2013, 09:39 AM
I had the trans cooler lines rust through and fail on my 88 TC. Trying to remake the lines in one piece and replace them with the motor installed in my garage was completely out of the realm of possibility. I had to cut them in pieces just to get them out. I went to NAPA and replaced all the lines with their rubber transmission lines and barbed fittings on the ends. Worked great. Just make sure you get hoses made for transmission fluids. If you are going to patch the existing, per Tom's recommendation, I would definitely bulb the line where you are going to splice it.

Haystack
03-08-2013, 10:03 PM
A good set of grooved plies works well if your replacing the fittings too.

I like my irwin channel locks for stuff like that, and holding rounded off or rusted bolts, like you'd find on an exhaust bolt.