PDA

View Full Version : Turbocoupe 8.8 swap question

mcb82gt
09-10-2011, 01:21 PM
I just finished bolting it in my 88 cougar.

Can I drive it before I get the correct gear for the VSS cable? I assume its OK, just want to make sure.

Ill post some pics and more details later. :shakeass:

edit for pics Out with the OLD.

ThunderbirdSport302
09-10-2011, 01:29 PM
Yeah, just your speedo will be off

How was the swap? I wish I'd waited to mine until I was ready to swap to the CHE's...basically I did it twice, lol.

mcb82gt
09-10-2011, 07:02 PM
I went really easily. edit (probably partly because my exhaust is currently dumped)

Took me about 4 hrs total. My brother helped me with some of the lifting and etc. The original control arm bolts werent even corroded and came out very easily with just my ratchets. Filled the new rear up with Royal Purple. Slid it in on my rolling jack while my brother steadied it, and just bolted it right in.

On my 88 Cougar, I was very pleased, the rear chassis hard line with the stock Cougar flex line..... bolted right up to TC 8.8 rear end.

Two things I need yet. Mark VII Ebrake cables and a TC proportioning valve. The brakes felt pretty yucky with the stock PValve.

Should feel different 2.73 to 3.73 gears!!!!!:evilgrin: Just wondering how my MPG's will be?:punchballs:

mcb82gt
09-10-2011, 07:08 PM
I also need to get some bolts for my quad shock brakets to chassis. I also cut one coil from the top of the rear springs, it helped it set a little better, but still too high. Pics later.

edit .... should I transfer the "dog bone" vibration dampner to the new rear, or is it just extra weight?????

ThunderbirdSport302
09-10-2011, 07:26 PM
I'd toss it...unless you notice vibrations that weren't there before. Keep in mind your driveshaft will be spinning faster too..