View Full Version : TV Cable swivel on AOD

02-14-2005, 05:49 PM
Hey guys, my trans is out and I noticed that the swivel that connects the TV cable linkage to the bracket is loose on the bolt. Sorry I dont have an illustration. Is there a bushing that goes around the bolt inside the swivel bracket? I know this thread is worthless without pics, does anyone have an uploaded pic of the TV. The haynes manual does not show a bushing or detailed picture even. Thanks


02-14-2005, 05:58 PM
I do know exactly what you're talking about.Mine went bad also.I went to my local hardware store and bought a long,generic metal bushing and a washer for the lever and tranny side of it,and put it all together and off I went.It took a little trial and error and fitting pieces,but the fix cost less than a dollar,and I haven't had a problem since (over a year).I don't know of any replacement bushings,and my Local Ford dealer couldn't help (as usual).The only tools required was the wrench I used to take the pivot assembly off with.....and a little grease.Hope that helps a little.Anyone else got any ideas?

02-14-2005, 08:05 PM
Good luck with this one!
I went to ford when this happened to my old aod and they told me first that the bushings could not be bought seperatley and had to be bought with the swivel at a cost of 75cdn.
Then the guy tells me it no longer available,what a dumbass.
Anyways, i went to a trans shop and even he had trouble finding any kind of listing for it,so he gave me some bushings that i had to try and make work.
Let's just say they didn't work long.
After toasting that trans i bought a stang trans with the cable that goes right to the trans(by the way my car is floor shift)and i've never had any problems since.
The only thing you could try is changing the shaft at the trans to accept the stang cable mount(there quite plentifull)or you have to get one from a wrecker.
Unfortunatley nobody makes these that i could find,really stupid considering they were on millions of ford vehicles.

02-14-2005, 11:50 PM
What does the one from a stang look like? Does it eliminate the whole swivel bracket? The swivel bracket I have is in pretty rough shape, I will call the Ford dealer ship and see if I can try to tell him the part Im lookin for. These parts guys are so clueless it really makes me wonder how they have jobs...Wish me luck. Thanks


02-14-2005, 11:59 PM
Ronnie, I think I have one of the cable type kick downs the floor shift cars used.. Lemme check...

02-15-2005, 12:26 AM
Thanks Tom, that would be great. Later


02-15-2005, 07:12 AM
It's got a bracket that bolts to the trans in place of the swivel that holds the cable at a straight angle along the bottom of trans and then it hooks into a ball cup u lever assembly that goes directly into the trans.
But to replace it you have to drop the pan and valve body,then unbolt the shifter shaft and and then replace it.
It looks the same inside the trans but is different on the outside,maybe someone has a pic?

02-15-2005, 04:12 PM
The trans pan is already off, so thats not a problem. Im in the middle of trying to locate this stuff now.

02-16-2005, 11:58 PM
I got a floor shift TV cable from Tom, it was off an older 86 Mark VII which had a different connection to the TB. I thought my original TV cable would be too short, but it was actually about 1/4 in longer than the floor shift TV cable. I simply switched the bracket from the 86 Mark VII cable to my TV cable and used the 86 lever. Since my cable was about 1/4 in longer, I slightly bent the lever to pull the cable tighter. Just FYI for ya'll. Thanks Tom.