PDA

View Full Version : Well that sucked...

P71
06-23-2007, 11:54 PM
I "snuck" Layla out to PIR tonight for some shakedown runs before going with the flock on Friday. Stupid diesel idiots were out in force oiling the snot out of the track! My best 60' was simply a "drive it off of idle" 2.8!! The track sucked tonight :( I also didn't make any full-on runs as the truck is broken and she hasn't gone racing in a loooooooong time! So that being said, I managed to go faster in the 1/8th then the truck does the 1/4 :hick: , and break my slave cylinder :punchballs: . What is it with TC's HAVING to leak some sort of fluid? So I managed to drive 50 miles to the track, make 6 shake-down runs, and drive home with minimal breakage. Plus it went faster then the truck and John's T3 TC ;) all at 14 psi. So, time to replace the slave cylinder and go for 13's@100ish on Friday! :evilgrin:

Cad-T-Bird 500
06-24-2007, 12:17 AM
Sounds like a bummer, I hope it's a lot better next Friday. I wrote you an email before I saw this asking.

The Cad-T-Bird is all adjusted up and is running strong. I hoping for a lot better times. I better go over 100 this time, 99 is just not good enough.

How does the diesels oil up the track?

Have to go to Vancouver to pick up another Eldorado in the morning.

TED

P71
06-24-2007, 12:20 AM
Best I could muster was a 73 MPH in the 1/8th :D Best 1/4 was a 16.2 @ 61 (coasting) with a 2.8 60'. It was DANGEROUS.

The top end was soooooooo oily anything over 70 was suicidal.

The tires were Hankook ICEBEAR 225/60/16's. Yes, those are snow/sleet/hail tires. They're actually quite soft. However, with the amount of 30W on the track NOTHING was hooking.

I only stayed 2 hours (out of 6) and there were THREE wrecks and 5 oil-downs. My last pass I was looking at thew wall at 90 at the 1/4 stripe on the brakes. I had to go home for new pants...

And yes, Layla made it to and from the track AND passed tech. Then the stupid slave cylinder started leaking. *sigh*

The stupid diesels leak like the Valdez and tech decides to ignore it since they pay for a lane. Politic BS if you ask me!

The diesels will NOT be there on Friday.

SLEEPER T-BIRD 87
06-24-2007, 09:51 AM
Best I could muster was a 73 MPH in the 1/8th :D Best 1/4 was a 16.2 @ 61 (coasting) with a 2.8 60'. It was DANGEROUS.

The top end was soooooooo oily anything over 70 was suicidal.

The tires were Hankook ICEBEAR 225/60/16's. Yes, those are snow/sleet/hail tires. They're actually quite soft. However, with the amount of 30W on the track NOTHING was hooking.

I only stayed 2 hours (out of 6) and there were THREE wrecks and 5 oil-downs. My last pass I was looking at thew wall at 90 at the 1/4 stripe on the brakes. I had to go home for new pants...

And yes, Layla made it to and from the track AND passed tech. Then the stupid slave cylinder started leaking. *sigh*

The stupid diesels leak like the Valdez and tech decides to ignore it since they pay for a lane. Politic BS if you ask me!

The diesels will NOT be there on Friday.

73 mph im guessing you went some mid/high 9's in the 1/8th?

P71
06-24-2007, 01:27 PM
11's :hick: remember the whole oil all over the track deal?

4 of my passes I aborted and coasted down it was so dangerous. I REALLY hate the Diesel guys.

I found out that they called it last night and sent everybody home about a half hour after I left. A Mustang hit oil up top and smashed up hard.

I have some things to play with before trying again with Ted on Friday. I have a weird driveline vibration I really need to diagnose. And change the slave cylinder. The track should be better and NO Diesel schmucks so I should be able to make some passes. I'm keeping the boost at ~17ish with the 35#s so 14's would be great for now. Then I can work it into the 13's with tuning and make sure I don't blow it up. Then I have to get the 56#s in and working to actually turn up the wick and go fast.

Tbird232ci
06-24-2007, 02:29 PM
Oil down the track and they let you run? Smells like BS to me.

P71
06-24-2007, 02:33 PM
It wasn't just oil, but all the soot from the diesel exhaust too. These are 11 second diesel trucks on slicks.

They'd make a pass and drip down the track. The next set of cars would get squirly and complain to the tower. So they'd stop and send the crew down, they'd "clean" it, and restart. The track closed for the night about 1/2 hour after I left because somebody hit the wall bad after getting in some oil.

Definitely NOT the "A" crew working the track last night.

turbo_88_XR7
06-24-2007, 05:49 PM
The track closed for the night about 1/2 hour after I left because somebody hit the wall bad after getting in some oil.

technically that guy should be able to sue for the damage to his car because the 'crew' didn't do their job. if they're going to run those stupid ass trucks they should have their OWN set night instead of ruining everyone else's night. thats just flat out BS.

P71
06-24-2007, 06:16 PM
It is BS. PIR is usually a very good track, but since they run 6-7 days a week they have 3-4 "crews". IIRC this was the same "crew" running it from a few months ago when a NASTY auto-x accident happened. A Porsche GT3 ($100,000 car) spun out into 3 other cars and totaled all 4. Pics of that little incident are all over the web.

P71
06-24-2007, 06:17 PM
http://www.autoblog.com/2007/04/25/autocross-carnage-gt3-takes-out-a-wrx-celica-gt-a3/

Full article and pics of the Auto-X crash. It just hasn't been a good year for PIR.

TurboCoupe50
06-24-2007, 07:33 PM

I found out that they called it last night and sent everybody home about a half hour after I left. A Mustang hit oil up top and smashed up hard.

Well after something like this they should "tighten up" for a while anyway...

11s 1/8 mile suck...

P71
06-24-2007, 09:27 PM
11's in the 1/8 suck worse when you're staring at the wall!