PDA

View Full Version : Posi or Locked?

Sly1990
10-21-2004, 04:46 AM
What do you guys think about Differential? :)

Posi? (Clutch) or Locked? (i mean always locked). :2c:

MasterBlaster
10-21-2004, 06:28 AM
What do you guys think about Differential?
I think every car should have one. They're pretty. :p

Posi? (Clutch) or Locked? (i mean always locked).

Posi only locks up when it's needed, and lets the wheels turn at different speeds when needed (driving around corners).

Locked (always locked) sounds like a "spool", where the rear end is basically one solid shaft. Great for straight-line driving at the track, but crap for the street. Turn a corner, and either the tires scrub themselves to death, or they'll be hopping, jumping and chirping around the corner as the back of the car does a little dance. There's the chance of an axle breaking too, if you have real good traction while going around the corner.

shame302
10-21-2004, 10:00 AM
my friend has an air locker in the rear of his wrangler. when its on its like a spool. on the tar the jeep will actually push the front wheels str8 if he turns them pulling from a dead stop. spools are for the street only.

MasterBlaster
10-21-2004, 10:08 AM
spools are for the street only.Ummm... is that your final answer? :rolleyes:

Ifixyawata
10-21-2004, 12:34 PM
I think he mighta meant spools are for the strip only... at least I hope. Maybe his town doesn't have any interstections.

shame302
10-21-2004, 02:17 PM
sorry, meant strip. 1 year olds can do that to ya

V8Demon
10-21-2004, 05:42 PM
I put a richmond locker in the Demon las month. great traction and launch when you launch it correctly... I have to powerbrake her to 1500 or more now to get the launch to be smooth on full acceleration. If I just mash the gas grom a stop without the powerbrake I get horrendous wheelhop. No noticeable difference on a light throttle acceleration from a stop. It opens up on turns and there is an audible clicking noise.